The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Basal Cell

Forums General Melanoma Community Basal Cell

Participant

Hoping for some insight.  My husband just had his yearly skin cancer check and the dermatologist noticed a new faded circle with a red rash in the center on his mid back.  She is thinking either skin irritation or basal cell.  She recommended waiting 4 weeks to check again and if it does not improve will do a shave biopsy.  

Is waiting a month ok?  Are basal cells cancerous?  My husband has no history of skin cancer and a couple skin biposies over the past year have come back as mild to moderate atypica with clear margins.  Thanks for the help.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        stars
        Participant

BCCs are cancers, but are typically very slow, indolent and highly unlikely to ever metastasise. For that reason, wating is fine in my view. They are the most desirable of the skin cancers and in no way comparable to melanoma, which can very quickly become aggressive and metastasise. You might want to find more info from a BCC support group as it is really very distant to what people with melanoma face.

stars
          Participant

BCCs are cancers, but are typically very slow, indolent and highly unlikely to ever metastasise. For that reason, wating is fine in my view. They are the most desirable of the skin cancers and in no way comparable to melanoma, which can very quickly become aggressive and metastasise. You might want to find more info from a BCC support group as it is really very distant to what people with melanoma face.

stars
            Participant

SABKLYN
              Participant

Very curable and VERY slow growing.  A month is fine.  If it's available as a treatment. I would strongly suggest MOHS surgery.  Best way to make sure it's completely removed.

SABKLYN
                Participant

Very curable and VERY slow growing.  A month is fine.  If it's available as a treatment. I would strongly suggest MOHS surgery.  Best way to make sure it's completely removed.

SABKLYN
                  Participant

Gene_S
                    Participant

Not to alarm you but my husbands Dermatologist removed a lesion and said he thought it was a Pylar Cyst and the worst it would be is a Basal Cell.  The pathology came back as it being Melanoma 2 weeks later and he was sent to a surgeon for removal.

Gene_S
                      Participant

Not to alarm you but my husbands Dermatologist removed a lesion and said he thought it was a Pylar Cyst and the worst it would be is a Basal Cell.  The pathology came back as it being Melanoma 2 weeks later and he was sent to a surgeon for removal.

Gene_S
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics