The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Barbara Billingsley Rest in Peace.

Forums General Melanoma Community Barbara Billingsley Rest in Peace.

Participant

Despite entertaining millions of Americans as June Cleaver, she was also well respected for her role in Airplane where she translated jive for millions of ignorant white Americans.

Despite entertaining millions of Americans as June Cleaver, she was also well respected for her role in Airplane where she translated jive for millions of ignorant white Americans.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gUw2fIa0dSI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gUw2fIa0dSI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

woops

TinaR
            Participant

I loved June! Thanks for the clip.

June Cleaver, Margaret Anderson ( Jane Wyatt from Father Knows Best) and Donna Stone ( Donna Reed Show) are my heroes. My idea of wife and mother …although it's a bitch doing the housework in a shirtwaist, heels and pearls- they set my standard. Of course, I watched these in RERUNS in the late 1960's 🙂 but I still believe they were perfect. I liked Danny Thomas's new wife Kathy (Marjorie Lord) on Make Room for Daddy too…but she wasn't typical and I thought being married to an entertainer wasn't normal or desirable- so I wasn't into her as a pattern for my future :).

When I was younger I wanted to be the fun  Margie Albright ( Gale Storm– who lived in a hotel in New York City with her widowed Dad on My Little Margie), the beautiful  Mary Stone ( Shelly Fabres) and the fussy Betty Anderson ( Elinor Donahue) until THAT GIRL premiered ..then all I wanted was an apartment in the city, cute, mod outfits, a jet-black flip hairdo,GIGANTIC eyelashes and a handsome boyfriend named Donald. I thought Marlo Thomas was the perfect girl and I desperately wanted  a room that could be closed off by white shutters ( INSIDE an apartment— how glam !).

Oh, the memories.

Bonnie Lea
              Participant

I know how you feel.  Those homemakers were the best.  In a home life that most of us had, it was a drream to be like them. but I did not like pearls.  I loved  sweater sets, (never had one)  and those house dresses with crinolines .  She always knew (June) how to run interference with the Beav and Wally when speaking to good old Ward.  Did we know ever what he did for a living?  looked like he sold insurance or fuller brushes.

Make Room for Daddy, I adorded and wanted to look like Angela Cartright.  So many good memories that helped so many of us out.  My sister was ten years my senior, and my mother 30 years my senior, so seeing a different side of mom's and yes when Marlo Thomas hit the scene (same as Mary Tyler Moor)  I was overwhelmed in my own domestic diva'ness.

Bonnie Lea
                Participant

"are you tired?  run down?  do you poop out at parties?  if so  one spoonful of VitaVegavegamin will give you the much needed boost (ahhhh)  its delishus too!   cut…..take two……cut take three…..4 5 6 etc.

Hic!

I also remember     "Elinor Donahue, Billy Gray and Loren Shafen (cuse spelling)  it is soooo interesting in how back then in the early days of TV I can remember  ad jingles, introductions to the show, and often the lyrics and tune for the songs which were almost like full time songs.

I doubt I could hum or sing words (if any) from modern TV shows.

Bonnie Lea
                  Participant

"are you tired?  run down?  do you poop out at parties?  if so  one spoonful of VitaVegavegamin will give you the much needed boost (ahhhh)  its delishus too!   cut…..take two……cut take three…..4 5 6 etc.

Hic!

I also remember     "Elinor Donahue, Billy Gray and Loren Shafen (cuse spelling)  it is soooo interesting in how back then in the early days of TV I can remember  ad jingles, introductions to the show, and often the lyrics and tune for the songs which were almost like full time songs.

I doubt I could hum or sing words (if any) from modern TV shows.

Bonnie Lea
                    Participant

I know how you feel.  Those homemakers were the best.  In a home life that most of us had, it was a drream to be like them. but I did not like pearls.  I loved  sweater sets, (never had one)  and those house dresses with crinolines .  She always knew (June) how to run interference with the Beav and Wally when speaking to good old Ward.  Did we know ever what he did for a living?  looked like he sold insurance or fuller brushes.

Make Room for Daddy, I adorded and wanted to look like Angela Cartright.  So many good memories that helped so many of us out.  My sister was ten years my senior, and my mother 30 years my senior, so seeing a different side of mom's and yes when Marlo Thomas hit the scene (same as Mary Tyler Moor)  I was overwhelmed in my own domestic diva'ness.

jag
                      Participant

C'mon, we know who your true hero was.

TinaR
                        Participant

I DO love Lucy…but she married Ricky and you know how I feel about people in the entertainment industry…so, no.

Although, I think I could suspend my usual distaste for that crowd for a teensy bit…what I wouldn't give to be Megan on Mad Men !  [just for last night…I'm certain she will be in a heap of hurt soon and I don't need any of THAT].

TinaR
                          Participant

I DO love Lucy…but she married Ricky and you know how I feel about people in the entertainment industry…so, no.

Although, I think I could suspend my usual distaste for that crowd for a teensy bit…what I wouldn't give to be Megan on Mad Men !  [just for last night…I'm certain she will be in a heap of hurt soon and I don't need any of THAT].

jag
                            Participant

C'mon, we know who your true hero was.

TinaR
                              Participant

I loved June! Thanks for the clip.

June Cleaver, Margaret Anderson ( Jane Wyatt from Father Knows Best) and Donna Stone ( Donna Reed Show) are my heroes. My idea of wife and mother …although it's a bitch doing the housework in a shirtwaist, heels and pearls- they set my standard. Of course, I watched these in RERUNS in the late 1960's 🙂 but I still believe they were perfect. I liked Danny Thomas's new wife Kathy (Marjorie Lord) on Make Room for Daddy too…but she wasn't typical and I thought being married to an entertainer wasn't normal or desirable- so I wasn't into her as a pattern for my future :).

When I was younger I wanted to be the fun  Margie Albright ( Gale Storm– who lived in a hotel in New York City with her widowed Dad on My Little Margie), the beautiful  Mary Stone ( Shelly Fabres) and the fussy Betty Anderson ( Elinor Donahue) until THAT GIRL premiered ..then all I wanted was an apartment in the city, cute, mod outfits, a jet-black flip hairdo,GIGANTIC eyelashes and a handsome boyfriend named Donald. I thought Marlo Thomas was the perfect girl and I desperately wanted  a room that could be closed off by white shutters ( INSIDE an apartment— how glam !).

Oh, the memories.

LV
                                Participant

Ward, I'm a little worried about Wally's new friends from the Melanoma Board. They seem like they're up to no good.

Bonnie Lea
                                  Participant

Mrs. Cleaver, wuld it be ok if Wally and I went down to the soda shop?  Lumpy is going to swallow a burger whole. 

Sure Eddie, just make sure you take the Beav with you.

Ward…please answer me.  Oh June darling, you know boys will be boys, and those new friends on the melanoma board are just the best folks in the world.  Now where is the hat hanger gone?

Bonnie Lea
                                    Participant

Mrs. Cleaver, wuld it be ok if Wally and I went down to the soda shop?  Lumpy is going to swallow a burger whole. 

Sure Eddie, just make sure you take the Beav with you.

Ward…please answer me.  Oh June darling, you know boys will be boys, and those new friends on the melanoma board are just the best folks in the world.  Now where is the hat hanger gone?

LV
                                      Participant

Ward, I'm a little worried about Wally's new friends from the Melanoma Board. They seem like they're up to no good.

jag
                                      Participant

woops

Viewing 1 reply thread
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics