The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bad experience with Hospice, any suggestions?

Forums General Melanoma Community Bad experience with Hospice, any suggestions?

Participant

My friend's father is on hospice at home and his poor wife is having a terrible time managing all of it. Hospice told her that she needs to administer her husband's morphine on the hour (24 hours a day)! How is she supposed to get any sleep? And the nurses are supposed to call her to tell her who the next nurse is that is coming, and they don't call her.

My friend's father is on hospice at home and his poor wife is having a terrible time managing all of it. Hospice told her that she needs to administer her husband's morphine on the hour (24 hours a day)! How is she supposed to get any sleep? And the nurses are supposed to call her to tell her who the next nurse is that is coming, and they don't call her. They sent a "nurse" to sit with her husband through the night but the "nurse" is not licensed to administer the morphine every hour so what good is she?  Also the pharmacy hospice works with has screwed up his medications by not delivering them on time (in fact they admitted they never filled his prescription even after she call to ask about it several times). Hopsice is pushing her to move him to their facility but she promised her husband she would let him stay home and she is not willing to break her promise.

Is there any advice you have for my friend's mother? Is there someone she could complain to so that hospice steps it up? This poor lady is so tired and feels like she is getting nowhere.

Thanks,

Tracy

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sherron
        Participant

My husband, Jim, was at the VA Hospital in Dallas.  I was pleased with his treatment considering all the things I had heard, but it is all the insurance he had, so we had no choice.  For months, they gave him blood, he was in and out….then on Nov 19th, 2010 had emergency surgery….he had more than 12 tumors in his intestines….They kept him in the hospital until the 29th, and then spoke to us…He wanted to go home also…but they explained to him and myself that there was no way we could properly care for him…that he needed 24/7 care, and that is more than regular Hospice will do….that we   would need many people to help and still it could be an issue…So the VA had a new Hospice center on campus they moved Jim there…I was distraught….not even sure if Jim knew where he was….he was only there  hours, passed on Nov 30, 2010…..Amazing….and wonderful he did not have to stay there long.  He passed in his sleep, with a peaceful look on his face…I was asleep , but awoke at 12:55 am….with a feelling that something was wrong…they came in…He had just passed…I knew it…God awoke me….I thought we would be there for weeks, have time to talk about where he was and his chance s of coming home….but the Angels came quickly for him…No more pain for Jim…just pain in my heart for missing him…but he is a far better place.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
          Participant

My husband, Jim, was at the VA Hospital in Dallas.  I was pleased with his treatment considering all the things I had heard, but it is all the insurance he had, so we had no choice.  For months, they gave him blood, he was in and out….then on Nov 19th, 2010 had emergency surgery….he had more than 12 tumors in his intestines….They kept him in the hospital until the 29th, and then spoke to us…He wanted to go home also…but they explained to him and myself that there was no way we could properly care for him…that he needed 24/7 care, and that is more than regular Hospice will do….that we   would need many people to help and still it could be an issue…So the VA had a new Hospice center on campus they moved Jim there…I was distraught….not even sure if Jim knew where he was….he was only there  hours, passed on Nov 30, 2010…..Amazing….and wonderful he did not have to stay there long.  He passed in his sleep, with a peaceful look on his face…I was asleep , but awoke at 12:55 am….with a feelling that something was wrong…they came in…He had just passed…I knew it…God awoke me….I thought we would be there for weeks, have time to talk about where he was and his chance s of coming home….but the Angels came quickly for him…No more pain for Jim…just pain in my heart for missing him…but he is a far better place.

Take Care,

Sherron
            Participant

Take Care,

Sherron
              Participant

Take Care,

Sherron
                Participant

Take Care,

Sherron
                  Participant

Take Care,

Sherron
                    Participant

Tracy,  I do not think I could of cared for my husband at home….As I think back to all the care he needed, I know we did the right thing…I was not wanting to do…asked Jim if he knew what this meant…he smiled…and said, yes, when I get better, I'll go home…I agreed..  He was so weak….The doctors assured me he was a smart man, he knew where he was going, was trying to protect me, and I believe himself too….It all happened so quickly, that we did not address all those issues…and then after we got there, within 12 hours it was all over….He did not have to stay long at all….It was not a bad experience….except for loosing the love of my life…what I mean is the facility was nice, clean, Chaplains available…nice room, refrigerator, place to put clothing, private bath, nice place to sleep for me, nice big window to look outside…as comfortable as possible, but absolutely not home….that does bother me some, he wanted to be home, as I did, but he did realize that right then he could not…because a few times, at home, he had passed out, and was able to catch him, lucky we both were not hurt…wishing you all the best.  iT IS A MOST DIFFICULT TIME OF ANYONE'S LIFE.  He passed 4 days before our 43rd wedding anniversary…

Take Care,

Sherron
                      Participant

Tracy,  I do not think I could of cared for my husband at home….As I think back to all the care he needed, I know we did the right thing…I was not wanting to do…asked Jim if he knew what this meant…he smiled…and said, yes, when I get better, I'll go home…I agreed..  He was so weak….The doctors assured me he was a smart man, he knew where he was going, was trying to protect me, and I believe himself too….It all happened so quickly, that we did not address all those issues…and then after we got there, within 12 hours it was all over….He did not have to stay long at all….It was not a bad experience….except for loosing the love of my life…what I mean is the facility was nice, clean, Chaplains available…nice room, refrigerator, place to put clothing, private bath, nice place to sleep for me, nice big window to look outside…as comfortable as possible, but absolutely not home….that does bother me some, he wanted to be home, as I did, but he did realize that right then he could not…because a few times, at home, he had passed out, and was able to catch him, lucky we both were not hurt…wishing you all the best.  iT IS A MOST DIFFICULT TIME OF ANYONE'S LIFE.  He passed 4 days before our 43rd wedding anniversary…

Take Care,

Sherron
                        Participant

Take Care,

mantonucci
                          Keymaster

HI Tracy: I'm sorry to hear how difficult this experience has been for your friend's family. Each hospice should (ideally) have a care team that includes not only registered nurses, but also a social worker, a pastoral counselor, unlicensed nursing assistants (CNAs-which sounds like the "nurse" they sent to sit with your friend's dad), as well as a doctor who relies heavily on input from each of the other team members to make medical decisions (such as adjusting pain medication or recommending inpatient care). Usually, there will be a team leader who is almost always an RN.

It is so frustrating when the communication breaks down somewhere between the team and the caregiver(s). Often times, speaking with the social worker is the best way of communicating with the team. They are trained to take the time to explain the process and to ask questions, and can then relay the message to the medical providers. They are also probably the best advocate for the caregiver/family, as the nurses are so focused on patient care that they don't always consider whether or not they are communicating effectively with the family.

I would recommend talking to the social worker or the hospice team leader to request a team meeting. I hope they can get back on track so that your friend's family has some peace.

Take good care,

Mary Mendoza (former hospice worker), National Director of Volunteer Services

PS: The Hospice Foundation of America might also be able to provide recommendations: http://www.hospicefoundation.org

mantonucci
                            Keymaster

HI Tracy: I'm sorry to hear how difficult this experience has been for your friend's family. Each hospice should (ideally) have a care team that includes not only registered nurses, but also a social worker, a pastoral counselor, unlicensed nursing assistants (CNAs-which sounds like the "nurse" they sent to sit with your friend's dad), as well as a doctor who relies heavily on input from each of the other team members to make medical decisions (such as adjusting pain medication or recommending inpatient care). Usually, there will be a team leader who is almost always an RN.

It is so frustrating when the communication breaks down somewhere between the team and the caregiver(s). Often times, speaking with the social worker is the best way of communicating with the team. They are trained to take the time to explain the process and to ask questions, and can then relay the message to the medical providers. They are also probably the best advocate for the caregiver/family, as the nurses are so focused on patient care that they don't always consider whether or not they are communicating effectively with the family.

I would recommend talking to the social worker or the hospice team leader to request a team meeting. I hope they can get back on track so that your friend's family has some peace.

Take good care,

PS: The Hospice Foundation of America might also be able to provide recommendations: http://www.hospicefoundation.org

mantonucci
                              Keymaster

Take good care,

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics