The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Back to the dermatologist

Forums General Melanoma Community Back to the dermatologist

Participant

I've had a mole on my stomach forever but recently I pulled some loose skin off it and the middle scabbed over. It is about 4mm and black in the middle with brown edges. My dermatologist looked at it during my last appointment and didn't say anything about it. That was about 6 weeks ago. I've moved my sept appt up to aug 18.  Could he have missed something?  It has me worried. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kdw2012
        Participant

I say go with your gut feeling. If it doesn't seem right to you or if you have any doubt CUT IT OUT remove it as soon as possible.

my experience…… I had a mole that started stabbing over and shedding and bleeding and my doctor said, 'It's fine' I insisted it be removed and it came back as nodular melanoma.

better to be safe than sorry

Kdw2012
          Participant

I say go with your gut feeling. If it doesn't seem right to you or if you have any doubt CUT IT OUT remove it as soon as possible.

my experience…… I had a mole that started stabbing over and shedding and bleeding and my doctor said, 'It's fine' I insisted it be removed and it came back as nodular melanoma.

Kdw2012
            Participant

DZnDef
              Participant

DEFINITELY go with your gut on this one.  Insist on having the mole removed and biopsied.  It is likely nothing but then your fears will be allayed.  And if it is something, you will have possibly caught it early.  I see no reason for it to not be biopsied.

For reference, my aunt had three freckles appear suddenly on her face.  She knew this was odd because she has no freckles and no moles and it was a sudden change.  She had to go to THREE dermatologists before one would agree to biopsy.  They came back as Letigo Maligna Melanoma.  Her lymph nodes were clear because she caught it extremely early (they really just looked like freckles).  But she knew her own body and she knew this was unusual for her own body and her sister had already had a melanoma.  Your dermatologist is comparing your mole to all the other patients he's seen.  An appearance that might be benign in one person could be a melanoma in another.

Again, it is probably nothing.  But why risk it?

Good luck,

Maggie

DZnDef
                Participant

DEFINITELY go with your gut on this one.  Insist on having the mole removed and biopsied.  It is likely nothing but then your fears will be allayed.  And if it is something, you will have possibly caught it early.  I see no reason for it to not be biopsied.

For reference, my aunt had three freckles appear suddenly on her face.  She knew this was odd because she has no freckles and no moles and it was a sudden change.  She had to go to THREE dermatologists before one would agree to biopsy.  They came back as Letigo Maligna Melanoma.  Her lymph nodes were clear because she caught it extremely early (they really just looked like freckles).  But she knew her own body and she knew this was unusual for her own body and her sister had already had a melanoma.  Your dermatologist is comparing your mole to all the other patients he's seen.  An appearance that might be benign in one person could be a melanoma in another.

Good luck,

Maggie

DZnDef
                  Participant

Good luck,

Maggie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics