The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Back from the past, thinking of the future

Forums General Melanoma Community Back from the past, thinking of the future

Participant

Hi everyone,

I haven't visited this page in a long time.  My husband is 12+ years NED after a diagnosis of 3a at age 26.  Lots of loss and joy since then: new jobs, new homes, the death of our infant son and the births of our beautiful daughters.  Life really does go on, and much happiness is in the smallest moments as well as the big events.

Reading over the posts on this page, I'm struck by how many positive posts there are on treatments for stage iv.  I'm curious what other people think – are treatments much improved over the paucity that existed 12 years ago when my husband was first diagnosed?

I ask because I know my childen are at increased risk of melanoma because of their dad's experience – especially my little red haired, blue eyed, white-as-snow skinned 4 year old, and I dream of the day when melanoma is cured.

Is there hope in these new treatments that it CAN be cured?  At least in the way, perhaps, that a disease like AIDs can now be held at bay and give the opportunity for long-term survival?

Thanks and best to you all,

Wendy

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Wendy,

When I advanced to stage IIIB in September of 2011 I started to read and learn as much as my simple brain could retain on melanoma research.  The research and advances that were really just starting to take off at that time were so encouraging to me.  I remember telling my wife back then that if I could just stay alive for another 5 years I think the treatments will be available to help me beat this disease.  It's simply amazing the things they are discovering about this disease, our own immune systems and how to manipulate it.  There are treatments now that are giving patients durable responses and often with limited to no side effects.  That was simply unheard of just a few years ago.  There's still a long way to go but I for one think they are going to get there and I get the sense that the experts that have been in the field for decades are also begining to believe it as well. I have two blond haired blue eyed beautiful kids and I pray for a day when melanoma is viewed as a chronic treatable disease and I think that is a possibility, it's just a matter of how soon it will happen.

Brian

melanomafighter
            Participant
              I hope so that would be awesome….a cure..or treatable would be a great discovery….My Dr told me in 2010 that if we can keep it away long enough I may have hope for a new trial or medicine…kept it away 4 years so far…hoping for something in our future…take care
              melanomafighter
              Participant
                I hope so that would be awesome….a cure..or treatable would be a great discovery….My Dr told me in 2010 that if we can keep it away long enough I may have hope for a new trial or medicine…kept it away 4 years so far…hoping for something in our future…take care
                melanomafighter
                Participant
                BrianP
                Participant

Wendy,

When I advanced to stage IIIB in September of 2011 I started to read and learn as much as my simple brain could retain on melanoma research.  The research and advances that were really just starting to take off at that time were so encouraging to me.  I remember telling my wife back then that if I could just stay alive for another 5 years I think the treatments will be available to help me beat this disease.  It's simply amazing the things they are discovering about this disease, our own immune systems and how to manipulate it.  There are treatments now that are giving patients durable responses and often with limited to no side effects.  That was simply unheard of just a few years ago.  There's still a long way to go but I for one think they are going to get there and I get the sense that the experts that have been in the field for decades are also begining to believe it as well. I have two blond haired blue eyed beautiful kids and I pray for a day when melanoma is viewed as a chronic treatable disease and I think that is a possibility, it's just a matter of how soon it will happen.

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Wendy,

Brian

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics