The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Back from the ER

Forums General Melanoma Community Back from the ER

Participant

I'm on vacation and got the chills and then noticed the largest seroma on my leg was red. I went to the ER and they did an ultrasound and said there's fluid in there, and the doctor thinks I have cellulitis. Gave me IV antibiotics and then a prescription for pills. I wore the compression pants on the plane and everything seemed to be ok until last night. I have a call into my surgeon. I wonder how I could get an infection when the skin isn't open?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi Aloha,

Sorry tohear this. If you have a scratch on your leg,nick nfrom shaving, bug bite or infection elsewhere it can end up as cellulitis where lymph is not moving and draining.If you have cellulitis and lymph drainage probs docs usually prescribe antibiotics at a higher dose and for min of two weeks. Only silver lining is that the infection may help the sides of the seroma to stick together and resolve …. Probably worth asking about continuing compression as that is probably a no no with the infection for now.

Hope you are feeling better soon,

Love from Deb

debwray
          Participant

Hi Aloha,

Sorry tohear this. If you have a scratch on your leg,nick nfrom shaving, bug bite or infection elsewhere it can end up as cellulitis where lymph is not moving and draining.If you have cellulitis and lymph drainage probs docs usually prescribe antibiotics at a higher dose and for min of two weeks. Only silver lining is that the infection may help the sides of the seroma to stick together and resolve …. Probably worth asking about continuing compression as that is probably a no no with the infection for now.

Hope you are feeling better soon,

Love from Deb

Gene_S
            Participant

also if you think about it appendicitis is inflammation of the appendix and nothing is open in that case either.  Inflammation comes from many problems.

jennunicorn
                Participant

Inflammation and infection are different 🙂

Aloha14
                Participant

Thanks for the replies. Heading home tomorrow, hopefully my surgeon will want to see it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics