The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

B-RAF

Participant

Hi

I know my husband's melanoma does not have the Braf mutation…. So what does that mean for him and his prognosis?? I have read on here that people with Braf can have certain treatments that would not work on non braf melanoma….does the Braf mutation make the Melanoma more  aggressive or does  it really have no bearing on outcomes??  Does having the Braf mutation  cause the melanoma to spread faster??

All of this info is hard to digest.. I would appreciate any input

Thank you very much,

Nancy

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

I am not aware of any difference between BRAF-mutated and non-mutated melanoma in terms of aggressiveness or prognosis. Yes, if you have the right BRAF mutation a BRAF inhibitor may work quickly to suppress the tumors. But unfortunately, most people eventually become resistant to the inhibitors so the help is only temporary. Most patients and doctors prefer to get an immune-based treatment like Yervoy or anti-PD1. Those take longer to have an effect, but the effects last for many months or years. 

JerryfromFauq
            Participant

PD-1 would be the quickest treatment to try to get a response from.  If no favorablle response is obtained, IL-2 would generally be the next quickest to find out if it works.  If it works, it may provide a long term cure.  The third Immunology treatment would be Ipi (Yervoy), which takes longer to tell if one is getting a favorable response to it.  Some people have responses to it with minimal side-effects.  Some of the Yervoy side effects can be for a lifetime.  It currently seems that it may, in some cases also provide a lifetime cure (Still a new treatment.)

Cooper
              Participant

Yervoy has a higher response rate than IL2 (15-20% vs. less than 6% for IL2)  Braf positive has been shown to be more aggressive than negative. Yervoy side effects aren't bad at all, I've had a wonderful response for 2 years now.  IL2 however has to be given in the hospital because of toxic effects and can have long term effects on liver, kidneys, etc.  It is old drug.

Cooper
                Participant

Yervoy has a higher response rate than IL2 (15-20% vs. less than 6% for IL2)  Braf positive has been shown to be more aggressive than negative. Yervoy side effects aren't bad at all, I've had a wonderful response for 2 years now.  IL2 however has to be given in the hospital because of toxic effects and can have long term effects on liver, kidneys, etc.  It is old drug.

Cooper
                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

PD-1 would be the quickest treatment to try to get a response from.  If no favorablle response is obtained, IL-2 would generally be the next quickest to find out if it works.  If it works, it may provide a long term cure.  The third Immunology treatment would be Ipi (Yervoy), which takes longer to tell if one is getting a favorable response to it.  Some people have responses to it with minimal side-effects.  Some of the Yervoy side effects can be for a lifetime.  It currently seems that it may, in some cases also provide a lifetime cure (Still a new treatment.)

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

POW
                      Participant

I am not aware of any difference between BRAF-mutated and non-mutated melanoma in terms of aggressiveness or prognosis. Yes, if you have the right BRAF mutation a BRAF inhibitor may work quickly to suppress the tumors. But unfortunately, most people eventually become resistant to the inhibitors so the help is only temporary. Most patients and doctors prefer to get an immune-based treatment like Yervoy or anti-PD1. Those take longer to have an effect, but the effects last for many months or years. 

POW
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics