The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Average time Melanoma comes back with Stage III?

Forums General Melanoma Community Average time Melanoma comes back with Stage III?

Participant

Hi all,

Curious for all you Stage III folks as to how soon was it that Melanoma returned or went to Stage IV?  Anyone know the stats?  Thank you….

Donna

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Nashvillian
        Participant

Be impossible to answer unless someone has their own personal experience. I have read anywhere from weeks to never.

Toby0987
            Participant

2013 initial diagnosis 3b-took out all the nodes in my armpit and that was all I did-no chemo, no immuno, no radiation and I'm cancer free since then.

Newmanbell
              Participant

I think I like your story best….:).  Thank you…

BrianP
              Participant

Take a look at this study:

http://ascopubs.org/doi/full/10.1200/jco.2009.26.2063

It looks like the majority of those that do progress do so in the first 24 months then it levels out some. 

BrianP
                  Participant

BTW, I was diagnosed stage IIIB in Sep 11,  Progressed to Stage IV April 13.  

jennunicorn
                  Participant

The link Brian shared is good. Majority of personal story answers you'll get here are going to heir on the side of progression since those of us that did progress tend to stick around and those that have stayed stage 3 NED for many years don't come around too often.

My story: Stage 3B November 2015. After routine scan September 2016 I was moved to stage 4. So, almost a year after initial diagnosis for me. My primary was ulcerated, mitotic rate of 3, and 1.9mm depth. These are things that can factor into likelihood of progression.. someone with similar depth but no ulceration and mitotic rate of 1 or less have a higher chance of never progressing past stage 3. 

Newmanbell
                      Participant
                        Wow, I just read your entire bio, what an incredible job you have done keeping up with this. Sometimes it helps others to see the steps one must take to move onto the next treatment. You are on a roll getting healed!
                        jennunicorn
                        Participant

I try to document everything that I think would be useful to someone new coming into this because I know how helpful that would have been for me. I am looking forward to having less to document though! 🙂

Dhva
                        Participant

Hi Donna , My son was diagnosed stage 3b and had recurrence and disease progression to stage 4 in about 10 months. 

Dhva
                            Participant

His primary was also ulcerated, and he progressed while on ipi.

Raeofsonshine
                            Participant

Hi Donna,

3a for me about 15 months ago.  Nodular, 18 mitotic rate, 5.5 mm.  Two weeks ago found a lump a few inches from the scar and luckily my surgeon didn't hesitate to biopsy.  He thought it was a lipoma, came back as melanoma.  Have an appointment next week for the next battle.  Hang tough! 

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hi Donna, 

I understand the reasons for your question…however, I doubt any known data, nor reports here, will be very helpful for you, as the answers are so disparate.  The answer is always something between NO recurrence and X.  However, if you would like my case study:  Stage III in 2003.  Second primary in 2007.  Stage IV 2010.  But, perhaps most importantly:  NED from 2010 until NOW!!!  I wish you well.  Celeste

Newmanbell
                                  Participant
                                    Bubbles, I read your links every day, sometimes 2 times! You are am Angel to all of us.

Donna

melanomafighter
                                  Participant

I am Stage IIIB and mine has never came back since it was found.  Good luck to you…7 years NED.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics