The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Avemar

Participant

Anyone ever heard of or tried this product.  I just saw a physician that highly recommended it.  The Product info is here:

http://www.theharmonycompany.com/product/AveULTRA-Avemar-Fermented-Wheat-Germ-Extract 

Anyone ever heard of or tried this product.  I just saw a physician that highly recommended it.  The Product info is here:

http://www.theharmonycompany.com/product/AveULTRA-Avemar-Fermented-Wheat-Germ-Extract 

More interesting, the supporting data/clinical study info is posted here.  The first paragraph talks about study results in patients with melanoma.  The results are overwhelmingly positive.

http://www.avemarresearch.com/TOC.html 

You know what they say about stuff on the internet, it has to be true, right? (that's sarcasm by the way).  It does sound legit though and they claim the inventor is a nobel science awardee.  The stuff is about $150 a month so it's not cheap.  It just seems like the claims are too good to be true without having more widespread knowledge of the product.  I did a search on here and it was only mentioned twice and neither of those mentions was by anyone that had tried the product or were endorsing it.  Just curious if anyone has any comments.

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

n=56 – not a huge study.   Here is MSKCC's blurb:

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/wheat-germ-extract

Janner
          Participant

Janner
            Participant

benp
              Participant

I do take this, every second morning to make it more affordable. I think whomever decides to independently take any CAM needs to do so based on their own unbiased research, but personally I do credit this with helping my ALC count rise significantly before Ipi. Avemar does (to me) seem to have enough research behind it to validate my $75/month outlay.

benp
                Participant

I do take this, every second morning to make it more affordable. I think whomever decides to independently take any CAM needs to do so based on their own unbiased research, but personally I do credit this with helping my ALC count rise significantly before Ipi. Avemar does (to me) seem to have enough research behind it to validate my $75/month outlay.

benp
                  Participant

POW
                    Participant

Brian-

As for most herbal and naturopathic treatments, the scientific evidence of it being of clinical benefit is practically non-existant. There was only one published paper in a peer-reviewed journal and that was in 2008. I have not been able to access the full article, only the abstract. However, in the case of fermented wheat germ extract, there is no evidence that it does any harm, either. The best write up I saw about it is here: http://www.cam-cancer.org/CAM-Summaries/Dietary-approaches/Fermented-wheat-germ-extract/(merge)

It sounds to me like this would be a personal choice for you, as long as you discuss it with your oncologist to be sure that it doesn't interfere with any other treatments or medications you are taking. 

POW
                      Participant

Brian-

As for most herbal and naturopathic treatments, the scientific evidence of it being of clinical benefit is practically non-existant. There was only one published paper in a peer-reviewed journal and that was in 2008. I have not been able to access the full article, only the abstract. However, in the case of fermented wheat germ extract, there is no evidence that it does any harm, either. The best write up I saw about it is here: http://www.cam-cancer.org/CAM-Summaries/Dietary-approaches/Fermented-wheat-germ-extract/(merge)

It sounds to me like this would be a personal choice for you, as long as you discuss it with your oncologist to be sure that it doesn't interfere with any other treatments or medications you are taking. 

POW
                        Participant

Brian-

JC
                          Participant

Is there any food that contains this or any way of getting some in your diet in a less expensive way than purchasing the supplement?

JC
                            Participant

Is there any food that contains this or any way of getting some in your diet in a less expensive way than purchasing the supplement?

JC
                              Participant

BrianP
                                Participant

Thanks.  I'm definitely considering this.  Did you take it while you were also taking IPI?  What was your oncologists take on this?

POW
                                  Participant

The method for making this extract was filed with the US Patent Office in 1998. You can read it at: http://www.google.com/patents/US6355474

They do not KNOW what compound in the extract is doing the job, but they think it is something called benzoquinone (abbreviated 2.6-DMBQ). It occurs naturally in wheat germ. However, as with so many natural remedies, the concentration in the plant is very low. The fermentation, clarification, and drying process concentrates the DMBQ so you can ingest enough of it to get an effect. The patent talks about how much of the extract to take.

If you are seriously interested in persuing this (from wheat germ or from some other source) I suggest you consult a good naturopathic doctor. They may be able to suggest other sources of DMBQ or they may have access to drying equipment that you can use to make your own. 

BrianP
                                    Participant

Thanks Pat.

It is a shame that the scientific community hasn't put more effort into investigating herbal and naturaopathic treatments like this.  Especially when early trials like this one shows promise.  I guess it boils down to what makes money and herbal and naturopathic treatments apparently is not where the money is.

benp
                                      Participant

Yes, I did. Oncologists are professionally obliged not to recomend "treatments" not endorsed by the mainstream medicine, which Avemar is definitely not, which is the reply I got.

I do believe this played a role in boosting my lymphocytes. My ALC was 0.7 for months prior to taking Avemar. Two weeks after (and before starting Ipi) they went to 1.3. Like I said before, I am not recomending this, just giving my personal opinion and experience.

BrianP
                                        Participant

Thanks.  I'm definitely considering this.  Did you take it while you were also taking IPI?  What was your oncologists take on this?

BrianP
                                          Participant

POW
                                            Participant

The method for making this extract was filed with the US Patent Office in 1998. You can read it at: http://www.google.com/patents/US6355474

They do not KNOW what compound in the extract is doing the job, but they think it is something called benzoquinone (abbreviated 2.6-DMBQ). It occurs naturally in wheat germ. However, as with so many natural remedies, the concentration in the plant is very low. The fermentation, clarification, and drying process concentrates the DMBQ so you can ingest enough of it to get an effect. The patent talks about how much of the extract to take.

If you are seriously interested in persuing this (from wheat germ or from some other source) I suggest you consult a good naturopathic doctor. They may be able to suggest other sources of DMBQ or they may have access to drying equipment that you can use to make your own. 

POW
                                              Participant

BrianP
                                                Participant

Thanks Pat.

It is a shame that the scientific community hasn't put more effort into investigating herbal and naturaopathic treatments like this.  Especially when early trials like this one shows promise.  I guess it boils down to what makes money and herbal and naturopathic treatments apparently is not where the money is.

BrianP
                                                  Participant

Thanks Pat.

benp
                                                    Participant

Yes, I did. Oncologists are professionally obliged not to recomend "treatments" not endorsed by the mainstream medicine, which Avemar is definitely not, which is the reply I got.

I do believe this played a role in boosting my lymphocytes. My ALC was 0.7 for months prior to taking Avemar. Two weeks after (and before starting Ipi) they went to 1.3. Like I said before, I am not recomending this, just giving my personal opinion and experience.

benp
                                                      Participant

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics