The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Atypical Mole

Forums General Melanoma Community Atypical Mole

Participant

Heard some disappointing but not drastic news today. For those who don't know my story, I was diagnosed as Stage IIIa following surgery in June 2011. I declined interferon treatment and have been followed closely since then by my oncologist, dermatologist and family doctor plus my own skin checks.

Heard some disappointing but not drastic news today. For those who don't know my story, I was diagnosed as Stage IIIa following surgery in June 2011. I declined interferon treatment and have been followed closely since then by my oncologist, dermatologist and family doctor plus my own skin checks.

Just before Christmas, my dermatologist did two skin biopsies. I learned today that the one on my foot has atypical cells and that she is referring me to a plastic surgeon for further surgery to get a wider margin (5mm). I understand that it isn't melanoma but sometimes could evolve to melanoma so that further surgery is a precaution.

Have I understood this properly? Does the 5mm mean depth as well as width? I ask because the mole was between my toes and I'm concerned as to what that might mean.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It sounds like your mole might be classified severely atypical and that's when 5mm margins are recommended.  In general, that means 5mm in all directions and typically down to the muscle fascia.  Of course, anatomy may dictate what margins are realistic.  The key will be to get as good margins as possible.  Your responsibility will be to watch the scar area for any pigment regrowth in the future.  Not melanoma and probably never would be melanoma.  However, it's better to be safe than sorry and get good margins if possible.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

It sounds like your mole might be classified severely atypical and that's when 5mm margins are recommended.  In general, that means 5mm in all directions and typically down to the muscle fascia.  Of course, anatomy may dictate what margins are realistic.  The key will be to get as good margins as possible.  Your responsibility will be to watch the scar area for any pigment regrowth in the future.  Not melanoma and probably never would be melanoma.  However, it's better to be safe than sorry and get good margins if possible.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

jimjoeb
              Participant

Thanks, Janner. I agree about the good margins. I'll know about what it really means once I've met with the plastic surgeon. Hopefully, that will be soon.

jimjoeb
                Participant

Thanks, Janner. I agree about the good margins. I'll know about what it really means once I've met with the plastic surgeon. Hopefully, that will be soon.

jimjoeb
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics