The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Atypical melanocytic hyperplasia

Forums General Melanoma Community Atypical melanocytic hyperplasia

Participant

Hey guys. I'm new here. My son has had several severely atypicals removed (he's 15)…and we had another removed yesterday. I understand his. I know what to look for now and I even have pointed out several to my Derm who agreed that they needed to go. 

I had a mole removed that bothered me. I picked at it several times (I know bad idea)…and this last time it grew back darker and stung a bit. It also looked very few around it periodically throughout the day. My Derm said it looked okay but he always takes off what I want. It was perfectly round but was elevated. It came back as "severely atypical melanocytic hyperplasia" which my Derm says isn't melanoma or melanoma in situ…but the step before it. 

Many questions. What do I look for in these lesions to insure that I don't have more?  How close to melanoma is it?  Do all melanomas cause some sort of discomfort???  Or  not?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Watch for CHANGE.  That's more important than anything.  Melanoma is not a cut and dried diagnosis, it's a bunch of factors added up to give a final diagnosis.  Severely dysplastic lesions has some factors that are starting to look like melanoma, but not enough.  There is no way to know if the lesion would have ever progressed to melanoma although severely dysplastic lesions have a higher risk than other dysplastic lesions. 

Some people have itching with their melanomas.  I had 3 with absolutely no physical discomfort.  All had changed and that is the #1 criteria I use for removal.  No change, it stays.  Changing, it goes.  Changing moles don't have to be melanoma, they are just higher risk.

Take pictures and watch for change – that's the best advice I can give anyone to help monitor their own moles!

Donnasue0611
            Participant

Thank you for your reply!  Could my picking at this mole made it progress toward melanoma?  Also, I'm pregnant…do hormones play a part in melanoma?

Janner
              Participant

Both trauma and pregnancy can cause moles to change but there is no way to know if either could make a lesion change toward melanoma.  Pregnancy and pregnancy hormones will definitely cause moles to change but there is conflicting evidence if the hormones feed melanoma.  That's a whole separate topic.  There are people who have had trauma to a mole and it has later become melanoma but I think that's more an exception than a rule.  Bottom line, don't pick moles and watch for changing moles carefully – especially while pregnant!

Janner
                Participant

Both trauma and pregnancy can cause moles to change but there is no way to know if either could make a lesion change toward melanoma.  Pregnancy and pregnancy hormones will definitely cause moles to change but there is conflicting evidence if the hormones feed melanoma.  That's a whole separate topic.  There are people who have had trauma to a mole and it has later become melanoma but I think that's more an exception than a rule.  Bottom line, don't pick moles and watch for changing moles carefully – especially while pregnant!

Janner
                  Participant

Donnasue0611
                    Participant

Thank you for your reply!  Could my picking at this mole made it progress toward melanoma?  Also, I'm pregnant…do hormones play a part in melanoma?

Donnasue0611
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

Watch for CHANGE.  That's more important than anything.  Melanoma is not a cut and dried diagnosis, it's a bunch of factors added up to give a final diagnosis.  Severely dysplastic lesions has some factors that are starting to look like melanoma, but not enough.  There is no way to know if the lesion would have ever progressed to melanoma although severely dysplastic lesions have a higher risk than other dysplastic lesions. 

Some people have itching with their melanomas.  I had 3 with absolutely no physical discomfort.  All had changed and that is the #1 criteria I use for removal.  No change, it stays.  Changing, it goes.  Changing moles don't have to be melanoma, they are just higher risk.

Take pictures and watch for change – that's the best advice I can give anyone to help monitor their own moles!

Janner
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics