The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ASCO Update 2

Forums General Melanoma Community ASCO Update 2

Keymaster

This was a great day for melanoma at ASCO.  The highlight was a session, with several presentations, on PD1 drugs.  The Merck PD1 drug, labrolizumab, had an overall response rate of 38%.  In the best dosage of the trial, half of patients saw tumors shrink on this drug.  Compare this to ipi, in which the response rate is less than 20%.  Another researcher reported on combining the BMS PD1 drug, nivolumab, with ipilimumab.  Response rates in the best arm were, again, over 50%.  More than 40% of patients saw their tumors shrink by 80% or more.  

This was a great day for melanoma at ASCO.  The highlight was a session, with several presentations, on PD1 drugs.  The Merck PD1 drug, labrolizumab, had an overall response rate of 38%.  In the best dosage of the trial, half of patients saw tumors shrink on this drug.  Compare this to ipi, in which the response rate is less than 20%.  Another researcher reported on combining the BMS PD1 drug, nivolumab, with ipilimumab.  Response rates in the best arm were, again, over 50%.  More than 40% of patients saw their tumors shrink by 80% or more.  

One of the challenges of using ipi has been that responses can take a long time to develop.  This means that ipi is too slow for patients with aggressive tumors.  In combination, however, the responses were much faster–most within 12 weeks.  I can report that the feeling in the room was nothing short of giddiness.  All the melanoma researchers were grinning ear to ear in hearing this news.

Both the Merck drug and the "novi"+ "ipi" combo will be used in larger trials, with a good number of slots available.  Based on the data, however, a lot of researchers feel that the FDA should approve these drugs with little or no additional research.  

Another session reported on brain metastases.  Perhaps the best information is that BRAF inhibitors have an impact on brain mets for patients wtih BRAF mutation in their tumor.  

A lot of good news for the fight against melanoma, and hopefully more to come in the future.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        AllyNTAus
        Participant

Tim, thanks for the update, it is great to hear such positive news. I hope the expansion of trial slots for AntiPD1 and the ipi + novi combination will filter down to Australia, where despite being such a melanoma-affected country, we seem to have very limited availability of trials in some of these key areas.

I personally have been lucky to first get compassionate access to Dabrafenib, and when that failed, to move onto a BRAF/MEK inhibitor combination dose escalation trial from Novartis, and it is keeping me healthy for now but I can't help wondering "what next"? The answer sounds like it might be ipi + novi

Is there an indication of whether AntiPD1 and/or the ipi + novi combination are producing more durable responses than say the BRAF/MEK inhibitors?

Ally

LynnLuc
            Participant

I am an original Anti-PD-1 baby who did BMS's Anti-PD-1 -nivolumab (with 70 peptide injections)…My trial was 30 months long and I finished my last booster April 5th. I have been stage IV  for 4 years and NED for over 3. Hope you all get access to these treatments soon!- Lynn

LynnLuc
              Participant

I am an original Anti-PD-1 baby who did BMS's Anti-PD-1 -nivolumab (with 70 peptide injections)…My trial was 30 months long and I finished my last booster April 5th. I have been stage IV  for 4 years and NED for over 3. Hope you all get access to these treatments soon!- Lynn

LynnLuc
                Participant

Tim–MRF

The long-term survival data is not well known yet, but looks promising.  At least twice that of ipi alone, and maybe better.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

The long-term survival data is not well known yet, but looks promising.  At least twice that of ipi alone, and maybe better.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

AllyNTAus
                      Participant

Tim, thanks for the update, it is great to hear such positive news. I hope the expansion of trial slots for AntiPD1 and the ipi + novi combination will filter down to Australia, where despite being such a melanoma-affected country, we seem to have very limited availability of trials in some of these key areas.

I personally have been lucky to first get compassionate access to Dabrafenib, and when that failed, to move onto a BRAF/MEK inhibitor combination dose escalation trial from Novartis, and it is keeping me healthy for now but I can't help wondering "what next"? The answer sounds like it might be ipi + novi

Is there an indication of whether AntiPD1 and/or the ipi + novi combination are producing more durable responses than say the BRAF/MEK inhibitors?

Ally

AllyNTAus
                        Participant

Ally

LibbyinVA
                          Participant
                            Thanks for all the updates, Tim. This is more positive, hopeful news I have ever heard about melanoma. Sometimes I feel like we are right on the cusp of unravelling this mystery. Then something happens and I feel like we are back at square one. But this news makes me feel hopeful about moving forward toward that cure…fingers and toes crossed!

Thanks for all that you do!

LibbyinVA
                            Participant
                              Thanks for all the updates, Tim. This is more positive, hopeful news I have ever heard about melanoma. Sometimes I feel like we are right on the cusp of unravelling this mystery. Then something happens and I feel like we are back at square one. But this news makes me feel hopeful about moving forward toward that cure…fingers and toes crossed!

LibbyinVA
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics