The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ASCO 2017: Friends in need are friends indeed! Here’s to the Caregivers!

Forums Caregiver Community ASCO 2017: Friends in need are friends indeed! Here’s to the Caregivers!

• Replies
      UBContributor
      Participant

A girl's gotta have fun! 

Jahendry12
        Participant

Thank you Celeste. You are a gem. 

Spl25
          Participant

I don't understand if this is a typo or Im reading it wrong: "In particular, high BDI predicted higher mortality (Wald = 11.6, p < .001); surprisingly, after controlling for BDI and other effects, high loneliness predicted lower mortality (Wald = 7, p = .008)."

Isn't that a *LOWER*??

Bubbles
              Participant

Yes, as I noted in my report.  When you control for depression (categorized as BDI in the study)…loneliness in and of itself came out with lower mortalitiy.  So…while I don't think it is that easy to tease out loneliness from depression….it was the conclusion here that while loneliness is miserable (and I suspect contributes ultimately to depression) depression was much more deadly.  Therefore, I really encourage cancer peeps and/or their caregivers who feel they are dealing with depression to talk to their friends, family and their docs in order to get the help they need!!!  celeste

Viewing 2 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics