The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Artemisinin?

Forums General Melanoma Community Artemisinin?

Participant

A friend sent me a link to an article about this drug . . . it's a few years back so maybe it's nothng. LIke everyone else, I want to explore all options, so just wondering if this was something folks here know about and if it's something I should know about.  Thanks! 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18956140

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Artemisinin is a relatively new and very powerful anti-malaria drug. There are some researchers who think it might be an anti-cancer drug, too. Maybe yes, maybe no. It will take several years of laboratory and animal testing before they even think about human testing. Time will tell.

Michelem
            Participant

Thank you, POW!  mm

Michelem
              Participant

Thank you, POW!  mm

Michelem
                Participant

Thank you, POW!  mm

POW
                Participant

Artemisinin is a relatively new and very powerful anti-malaria drug. There are some researchers who think it might be an anti-cancer drug, too. Maybe yes, maybe no. It will take several years of laboratory and animal testing before they even think about human testing. Time will tell.

POW
                  Participant

Bubbles
                    Participant

Hey Michele,

Interesting report.  In my years spent reading all things melanoma, it is amazing what researchers have found that can kill it!!!  Not kidding!  Coffee, doxycycline (an older antibiotic), curcumin (the yellow ingredient in curry and mustard), cimetadine (tagamet….an antacid), NSAIDS (like Advil), Shitake mushrooms, strawberry juice, red wine!!!!!  (If you're interested in the data, a lot of it is on a blog post from July 20, 2013.)  Many of the studies were done on melanoma cells in a petri dish.  However, one from Dec 2013 that I have yet to post, is about little rats who were given melanoma and actually FED curcumin…

"So…ratties (real rats…this time) were given melanoma tumors on their sides.  But, they were fed their regular chow OR a curcumin diet two weeks prior to the tumor cell injection and until the experiment was stopped. Curcumin significantly reduced the growth of the flank tumors."

I just hope that one of these days, the drug, the food, the extract in question…will prove to have beneficial and amazing results in us…the real melanoma ratties!!!

Thanks for sharing.  Celeste

Michelem
                        Participant

So interesting! If only something we can simply eat could be the answer . . .

Another variable seems to be the situation. Some people get tumors, and I see that there are a variety of ways to address an individual tumor. My husband has lots and lots of small mets over a wide area . . . I don't know if that makes things worse, or if it makes the ipi job easier, or if . . . .  well, let's just say that the unknowns can be overwhelming and the suspense is very tough.

Michelem
                          Participant

Another variable seems to be the situation. Some people get tumors, and I see that there are a variety of ways to address an individual tumor. My husband has lots and lots of small mets over a wide area . . . I don't know if that makes things worse, or if it makes the ipi job easier, or if . . . .  well, let's just say that the unknowns can be overwhelming and the suspense is very tough.

Michelem
                            Participant

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hey Michele,

Interesting report.  In my years spent reading all things melanoma, it is amazing what researchers have found that can kill it!!!  Not kidding!  Coffee, doxycycline (an older antibiotic), curcumin (the yellow ingredient in curry and mustard), cimetadine (tagamet….an antacid), NSAIDS (like Advil), Shitake mushrooms, strawberry juice, red wine!!!!!  (If you're interested in the data, a lot of it is on a blog post from July 20, 2013.)  Many of the studies were done on melanoma cells in a petri dish.  However, one from Dec 2013 that I have yet to post, is about little rats who were given melanoma and actually FED curcumin…

"So…ratties (real rats…this time) were given melanoma tumors on their sides.  But, they were fed their regular chow OR a curcumin diet two weeks prior to the tumor cell injection and until the experiment was stopped. Curcumin significantly reduced the growth of the flank tumors."

I just hope that one of these days, the drug, the food, the extract in question…will prove to have beneficial and amazing results in us…the real melanoma ratties!!!

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hey Michele,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics