The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

armpit slnb delicate q

Forums General Melanoma Community armpit slnb delicate q

Participant

about to have an slnb in armpit with wide area excision on my arm with hand that i use for cleaning up after going to toiler

after slnb will i be able to go to toilet normally and clearn up with hands on predominant arm?  if not, what options to prepare for

tia for your advice 

about to have an slnb in armpit with wide area excision on my arm with hand that i use for cleaning up after going to toiler

after slnb will i be able to go to toilet normally and clearn up with hands on predominant arm?  if not, what options to prepare for

tia for your advice 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

Do you use the same arm to eat?

If so, wash predominant hand for at least 1/2 hour, wear gloves, or spray w/lysol.

jag
          Participant

If so, wash predominant hand for at least 1/2 hour, wear gloves, or spray w/lysol.

jag
            Participant

KatyWI
              Participant

it's not clear from your post where the WLE will be.  Poster above seemed to assume it was on your hand.  I'm assuming it's somewhere other than your hand, and that your question pertains to mobility.  You will not be able to raise your arm at first, but you will be able to use your arm for bathroom and you will be able to wash your hands.

KatyWI
                Participant

it's not clear from your post where the WLE will be.  Poster above seemed to assume it was on your hand.  I'm assuming it's somewhere other than your hand, and that your question pertains to mobility.  You will not be able to raise your arm at first, but you will be able to use your arm for bathroom and you will be able to wash your hands.

KatyWI
                  Participant

CarolA
                    Participant

Purchase some premoistened cleasing cloths (yes, like those used for infants, children—they have them for adults) for additional hygiene care and assistance to try with your other hand that you are not accustomed to using.   You will become inventive to your needs.  (Practice now!)    A home-made "bidet" would be the soft, squirt bottles with warm water.    I don't know the extent of the excision on your arm, or location—your doctor will surely give specific direction on how much you can extend or use that arm in recovery.   I can assure you from my own experience, that you will modify your habits successfully, with the assistance of some of these tools.

You should be able to shower sooner with the aid of a flexible shower hose and spray.   We installed one as a pre-emptive strike before I even had my surgery (a mastectomy from melanoma and large skin graft).    I would suggest  button down shirts and elastic bottom wear (that's where pulling up with one arm becomes an artform–but you can and will succeed at this!!)   My recovery was long, so I also just went to an inexpensive chain hair salon for shampoo and styling of my hair, that's why I was able to just maintain with the hand-held shower.   I experienced two rounds of limited arm usage:  the mastectomy and previous to that a total lymph node dissection. 

Good luck and thank you for your honesty to ask a question that so many of us have had to figure out.  I've never seen it addressed here before.

CarolA

CarolA
                      Participant

Purchase some premoistened cleasing cloths (yes, like those used for infants, children—they have them for adults) for additional hygiene care and assistance to try with your other hand that you are not accustomed to using.   You will become inventive to your needs.  (Practice now!)    A home-made "bidet" would be the soft, squirt bottles with warm water.    I don't know the extent of the excision on your arm, or location—your doctor will surely give specific direction on how much you can extend or use that arm in recovery.   I can assure you from my own experience, that you will modify your habits successfully, with the assistance of some of these tools.

You should be able to shower sooner with the aid of a flexible shower hose and spray.   We installed one as a pre-emptive strike before I even had my surgery (a mastectomy from melanoma and large skin graft).    I would suggest  button down shirts and elastic bottom wear (that's where pulling up with one arm becomes an artform–but you can and will succeed at this!!)   My recovery was long, so I also just went to an inexpensive chain hair salon for shampoo and styling of my hair, that's why I was able to just maintain with the hand-held shower.   I experienced two rounds of limited arm usage:  the mastectomy and previous to that a total lymph node dissection. 

Good luck and thank you for your honesty to ask a question that so many of us have had to figure out.  I've never seen it addressed here before.

CarolA

CarolA
                        Participant

CarolA

mrsmarilyn
                          Participant

Hello-What is snlb?  My brother has arm/armpit mel -and will possible lose arm or massive removal of tumor. Thanks for the information. Great question and love and prayers. Stay strong.

Mrs Marilyn

KatyWI
                              Participant

Sentinel lymph node biopsy.  Often also abbreviated SNB for sentinel node biopsy.

KatyWI
                                Participant

Sentinel lymph node biopsy.  Often also abbreviated SNB for sentinel node biopsy.

KatyWI
                                  Participant

mrsmarilyn
                                  Participant

Hello-What is snlb?  My brother has arm/armpit mel -and will possible lose arm or massive removal of tumor. Thanks for the information. Great question and love and prayers. Stay strong.

Mrs Marilyn

mrsmarilyn
                                    Participant

Mrs Marilyn

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics