The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Are blood tests for Melnooma coming?

Forums General Melanoma Community Are blood tests for Melnooma coming?

Participant

http://oncologystat.com/news/Real-Time_Monitoring_of_Melanoma_Markers_Predicts_Relapse_US.htmlhttp://oncologystat.com/news/Real-Time_Monitoring_of_Melanoma_Markers_Predicts_Relapse_US.html

http://oncologystat.com/news/Real-Time_Monitoring_of_Melanoma_Markers_Predicts_Relapse_US.htmlhttp://oncologystat.com/news/Real-Time_Monitoring_of_Melanoma_Markers_Predicts_Relapse_US.html

Real-Time Monitoring of Melanoma Markers Predicts Relapse

Elsevier Global Medical News. 2011 Jul 14, B Jancin

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (EGMN) – Serial monitoring of melanoma tumor marker levels in peripheral blood using a novel quantitative real-time reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction method after surgical resection of melanoma has shown promise for the early detection of patients at high risk for disease progression.

The real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay measures circulating levels of five markers unique to melanoma cells: glycoprotein 100 (gp100), melanoma antigen gene-3 (MAGE-3), tyrosinase, melanoma marker A (Melan-A), and melanoma inhibitory activity (MIA) protein, Dr. Spyridon Gkalpakiotis explained at the World Congress of Dermatology.

He reported on 65 patients who underwent peripheral blood testing and analysis of the five markers every 3 months for the first 2 years after resection of their stage II or III melanoma, for a total of 2,925 PCR assays.

Twenty-six patients experienced elevated test results. All 26 relapsed during 5 years of follow-up; the 5-year survival rate in this group was 65%.

In contrast, only 1 of 39 patients with consistently negative real-time PCR assays experienced disease progression; 5-year survival in PCR-negative patients was 97%, reported Dr. Gkalpakiotis of Charles University in Prague.

MAGE-3 was expressed in 21 patients with disease progression. The next most sensitive markers of melanoma progression were MIA and gp100.

Dr. Gkalpakiotis declared having no financial conflicts.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        eaca
        Participant

Jerry,

Thanks for all your posts with links to current news and articles on melanoma. I really appreciate being able to follow those links from here and not have to be out there monitoring the research so much myself. You take some of the workload off the rest of us!  Thanks!

Elisa

eaca
          Participant

Jerry,

Thanks for all your posts with links to current news and articles on melanoma. I really appreciate being able to follow those links from here and not have to be out there monitoring the research so much myself. You take some of the workload off the rest of us!  Thanks!

Elisa

jimjoeb
            Participant

so will this translate into clinical trials and further study?

jimjoeb
              Participant

so will this translate into clinical trials and further study?

JuleFL
                Participant
                  Wow. We’ve come a long way. This would have been great to have when my late husband was first diagnosed and surgically resected back in 1987. I’m so glad to see so much research happening regarding melanoma. Thanks for all of the updates.

Jule

JuleFL
                  Participant
                    Wow. We’ve come a long way. This would have been great to have when my late husband was first diagnosed and surgically resected back in 1987. I’m so glad to see so much research happening regarding melanoma. Thanks for all of the updates.

Jule

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics