The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Are all anal melanomas considered mucosal?

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Are all anal melanomas considered mucosal?

Participant

I'm getting small bits of information from my mother regarding my father's diagnosis.  His melanoma is now in his lungs so we are waiting on pathology so they can come up w a treatment plan.  Is there a separate support group for ano-rectal melanomas?

Thank you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        CHD
        Participant

A melanoma in the anorectal area is mucosal.  I'm not a doctor but the only exception I can see to this would be if it were far enough away, on the skin outside the anorectal region, that it might in fact be in the category of cutaneous (on normal skin).   For example, most vulvovaginal melanomas are considered mucosal, but if it is on the outer vulva it may in fact be cutaneous and not mucosal.  But generally they are mucosal, as are anorectal melanomas. 

I don't know of a support group specific to that type of melanoma, or in fact even a support group for mucosal melanoma.  It would be great to have one, though.  It is a subtype of melanoma that does have its own unique set of challenges.

Make2DayCount
            Participant

There is an excellent private support group on Facebook for mucosal melanoma warriors and caregivers.  A bunch of us there are sharing information and support.  

Margaret3
              Participant
                Please tell me how to join this private facebook group. I was just diagnosed. Thank you.
                Make2DayCount
                Participant

There is an excellent private support group on Facebook for mucosal melanoma warriors and caregivers.  A bunch of us there are sharing information and support.  

Make2DayCount
                  Participant

CHD
                  Participant

A melanoma in the anorectal area is mucosal.  I'm not a doctor but the only exception I can see to this would be if it were far enough away, on the skin outside the anorectal region, that it might in fact be in the category of cutaneous (on normal skin).   For example, most vulvovaginal melanomas are considered mucosal, but if it is on the outer vulva it may in fact be cutaneous and not mucosal.  But generally they are mucosal, as are anorectal melanomas. 

I don't know of a support group specific to that type of melanoma, or in fact even a support group for mucosal melanoma.  It would be great to have one, though.  It is a subtype of melanoma that does have its own unique set of challenges.

CHD
                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics