The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

appointments after surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community appointments after surgery

Participant

Hi Again,

My husband's notes were on Moffit from his removal of all lymph nodes last week.  This is what Dr Zager had noted:

"  The patient had extensive bulky adenopathy with desease overlying the subcapularis muslce and involving latissimus muscle.  We did take a portiono f his latissimus  uscle and sent a soft tissue nodle for frozen scetion, which came back as positive for metastatc melanoma.

Hi Again,

My husband's notes were on Moffit from his removal of all lymph nodes last week.  This is what Dr Zager had noted:

"  The patient had extensive bulky adenopathy with desease overlying the subcapularis muslce and involving latissimus muscle.  We did take a portiono f his latissimus  uscle and sent a soft tissue nodle for frozen scetion, which came back as positive for metastatc melanoma.

… He had melanoma metastases in soft tissue nodeuls medially and inferiorly to the axillary vein as well. We cleared out the Rotter's nodal basin as well with the help of electrocautery, and we used medium hemoclips on any small lympovascular pedicles.   We then divided the contrents between lels 1 and 2.  He had extensive level 3 disease both in the floor of level 3 as well as in the apex of level 3 and immediately posterior to the axillary vein.  We carefully dissected all these contents our of leve 3.   We passed level 3 contents off the table as a separate specimen."

Dr Zager also said he was stage iiic melanoma and I said you said that before the surgery.  he said well he must have meant stage iiib, as he is definitly stage iiic now and prognosis is fair.  What does "fair" mean?  I know it is less than good, and better than bad, but can you give more definition?  Dr Zager met with me after the surgery and said my husband had "alot" of disease and that he thought he should not have the lung surgery and would talk with Dr Toloza.  6 days later, the lung surgery has been cancelled and we got a call today for an appointment on 6/26 with DR Dilling at Moffit, a thorasic Onc for radiation.

What are your thoughts on the melanoma notes from the doctor?  Obviously, I know it is dangerous, but in english what does this mean. 

Thanks, Mary

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

It seems to me that the surgical report just confirms what you already knew– your husband had a lot of cancerous lymph nodes but, so far at least, it has not spread to distant organs. For someone who is stage III, I think that a prognosis of "fair" (whatever that means) from a surgical oncologist is at least premature and perhaps inappropriate. Your radiation oncologist and your medical oncologist  haven't even had their innings yet. Your husband has a lot of different treatments he may be eligible for and one of them may be the one that kicks melanoma's buttt. Surgeons are not known for their people skills; I think you got one of those. Ignore his prognosis and get on to the next treatment steps.

POW
          Participant

It seems to me that the surgical report just confirms what you already knew– your husband had a lot of cancerous lymph nodes but, so far at least, it has not spread to distant organs. For someone who is stage III, I think that a prognosis of "fair" (whatever that means) from a surgical oncologist is at least premature and perhaps inappropriate. Your radiation oncologist and your medical oncologist  haven't even had their innings yet. Your husband has a lot of different treatments he may be eligible for and one of them may be the one that kicks melanoma's buttt. Surgeons are not known for their people skills; I think you got one of those. Ignore his prognosis and get on to the next treatment steps.

POW
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics