The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Appetite stimulant suggestions?

Forums General Melanoma Community Appetite stimulant suggestions?

Participant

Hi all,

I've written a few times – my Dad has stage 4 cancer in his brain and lungs and went through a course of whole brain radiation in late June.  Since he is BRAF negative, he just had his first dose of Keytruda/Pembro on July 20th – after tapering from steroids in early to mid-July.  In any case, he has been extremely fatigued since and has lost almost 15 lbs in the last two weeks (since everything tastes metallic and/or makes him nauseous).  Given all of this, has anyone had luck with the non-steroidal appetite stimulants?  Has anyone tried Dronabinol/Marinol (a version of marijuana)?  For those of you taking immunotherapy/anti-PD1 drugs after steroids, how long did the effects of the steroids linger on?  I would appreciate any recommendations on food which tastes good – beyond watermelon and pineapple, he isn't eating much (and no protein).  I'm worried that they are going to have to put him on an IV if he doesn't start eating and gaining back some weight.

Also, he just had his first post-radiation MRI on his brain today – 2 tumors were the same, 2 tumors were a bit smaller, and one bigger tumor in the frontal area increased in size.  Disappointing…  We are still holding out hope that Keytruda will make a difference – finally hoping for some good news in the midst of this!!!

Thank you as always,

Carrie

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        DianaD
        Participant

There are non-steroidal medications that a doctor can prescribe to stimulate appetite. 

Have you tried the nutritional supplements, such as Ensure?   They come in different flavors–chocolate, strawberry, vanila.  

Home-made smoothies may be another option.  There are lot of recipes on the internet.  They can be either vegetable or fruit based, and you can add a powdered protein supplement.  

You could also add a powdered proten supplement to mllk shakes.  

What about soups, cold summer soups or hot?  

I hope this helps.  Best wishes for your dad, you and your family. 

DianaD
          Participant

There are non-steroidal medications that a doctor can prescribe to stimulate appetite. 

Have you tried the nutritional supplements, such as Ensure?   They come in different flavors–chocolate, strawberry, vanila.  

Home-made smoothies may be another option.  There are lot of recipes on the internet.  They can be either vegetable or fruit based, and you can add a powdered protein supplement.  

DianaD
            Participant

Rawlins Mom
              Participant

Hi Carrie,

Sounds like my mom is in the same boat as your dad.  Stage IV mucosal melanoma with mets to the liver and brain.  She is also BRAF negative, and will have her 3rd Keytruda infusion next week.  She had initial radiation treatments on the primary, and specific radiation on the one tumor in the brain.  She has not been on steroids since the initial 3-day course after the brain radiation. 

She has been very tired as well, and her appetitie is probably 1/3 what it used to be, and certain foods tend to really mess with her gut. 

So, I don't have an answer or suggestions, but feel for you guys, and will keep tabs on this topic to see if anyone has any good info. 

Take Care, 

Rawlins Mom
                Participant

Hi Carrie,

Sounds like my mom is in the same boat as your dad.  Stage IV mucosal melanoma with mets to the liver and brain.  She is also BRAF negative, and will have her 3rd Keytruda infusion next week.  She had initial radiation treatments on the primary, and specific radiation on the one tumor in the brain.  She has not been on steroids since the initial 3-day course after the brain radiation. 

She has been very tired as well, and her appetitie is probably 1/3 what it used to be, and certain foods tend to really mess with her gut. 

So, I don't have an answer or suggestions, but feel for you guys, and will keep tabs on this topic to see if anyone has any good info. 

Take Care, 

Rawlins Mom
                  Participant

Hi Carrie,

Take Care, 

Tamils
                    Participant

The only thing that tasted 'normal' to my dad was vanilla, so we made him lots of vanilla milkshakes: Blend a cup of fortified milk with vanilla ice cream.  For fortified milk, we did one quart full-fat milk with one cup powdered milk mixed in.  The protein supplement powders tended to be too grainy for my dad.  You could also try adding chocolate sauce, bananas, and so forth to vary the flavor; as I said, my dad only liked the vanilla.  There are other shake recipes here:

http://cancer.about.com/od/chemotherapysideeffects/a/Recipes-For-High-Calorie-Shakes.htm

cbeckner98
                        Participant

Thank you all!  It sounds like creativity around milkshakes and smoothies may help us get through this phase.  Appreciate the ideas – who doesn't like a cookie and cream milkshake, right?  Sounds amazing!

Thanks again,

Carrie

cbeckner98
                          Participant

Thank you all!  It sounds like creativity around milkshakes and smoothies may help us get through this phase.  Appreciate the ideas – who doesn't like a cookie and cream milkshake, right?  Sounds amazing!

Thanks again,

Carrie

cbeckner98
                            Participant

Thanks again,

Carrie

Tamils
                            Participant

The only thing that tasted 'normal' to my dad was vanilla, so we made him lots of vanilla milkshakes: Blend a cup of fortified milk with vanilla ice cream.  For fortified milk, we did one quart full-fat milk with one cup powdered milk mixed in.  The protein supplement powders tended to be too grainy for my dad.  You could also try adding chocolate sauce, bananas, and so forth to vary the flavor; as I said, my dad only liked the vanilla.  There are other shake recipes here:

http://cancer.about.com/od/chemotherapysideeffects/a/Recipes-For-High-Calorie-Shakes.htm

Tamils
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics