The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anything I should know before getting a port?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anything I should know before getting a port?

Participant

I was wondering if there is anything I should know before getting a port? Basically I understand it is a minor surgery. They put the thing in under my skin. It attaches to a vein that they said goes to my heart. It's under the skin so no problems with showering and things. After the surgery heals there should be little risk of infection. They can puncture the silicone thing hundreds of times so I can get my medicine and blood work that way now. It's just a little bump under the skin.

Just wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about getting a port? I also plan to have radiation to my left collar bone and left shoulder tumors. I don't know if the collar bone tumor would be in that area where the port is and could cause problems with it or not. Or I guess according to the wikipedia picture it would be further down but not sure.

I've only had 10 doses of pd1 but combine that with 4 doses of ipi and countless blood draws and scan sticks they have a really hard time getting the iv in for my pd1. They did get it the first try today but it hurt like crazy and would still hurt if I hadn't taken my pain pills for that, my leg and shoulder pains.

Artie

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hey Artie,

Glad you are getting a port.  After all you and your veins have been through it can provide wonderful relief.  I have not yet had to have a port myself, but have taken care of many patients with them.  Have your docs teach you the technique for drawing, flushing and injecting your particular port so that YOU know how to do it RIGHT and make sure that EVERYBODY who touches it follows the protocol!!!!  Most folks will.  But speak up and make sure they do every step that is supposed to take place…from handwashing at the start, to appropriate cleaning of the site, to needle size and shape, amount of flush to follow, etc.  I know you have already had to be your own best advocate.  Keep it up and you can avoid infection and have a much easier time with your infusions and blood draws.  Wishing you my best and a wonderful thanksgiving!!!  C

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Thank you Celeste. I hadn't even thought of that. I'm not sure I'm getting a port yet because I haven't asked yet but I think I need one. Happy thanksgiving to you too.

Artie

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Thank you Celeste. I hadn't even thought of that. I'm not sure I'm getting a port yet because I haven't asked yet but I think I need one. Happy thanksgiving to you too.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

Artie

Bubbles
                Participant

Hey Artie,

Glad you are getting a port.  After all you and your veins have been through it can provide wonderful relief.  I have not yet had to have a port myself, but have taken care of many patients with them.  Have your docs teach you the technique for drawing, flushing and injecting your particular port so that YOU know how to do it RIGHT and make sure that EVERYBODY who touches it follows the protocol!!!!  Most folks will.  But speak up and make sure they do every step that is supposed to take place…from handwashing at the start, to appropriate cleaning of the site, to needle size and shape, amount of flush to follow, etc.  I know you have already had to be your own best advocate.  Keep it up and you can avoid infection and have a much easier time with your infusions and blood draws.  Wishing you my best and a wonderful thanksgiving!!!  C

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hey Artie,

SarahW
                    Participant

I second everything Bubbles said. My husband  has had a port since February 2012. His port was put in for another illness entirely, but has gotten a lot more use since the stage IV melanoma diagnosis in August 2012.

his port lies just under his right clavicle. Since you are having left sided procedures I would think they could do the same for you and that it would not interfere with treatment of your left clavicle. 

All all the best to you,

SarahW

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Thanks Sarah. Since I have a shrinking tumor in my right clavicle I'm not sure if that is where they will put it for me. They were saying they usually do the right part of the chest but I dunno. Thanks.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

Thanks Sarah. Since I have a shrinking tumor in my right clavicle I'm not sure if that is where they will put it for me. They were saying they usually do the right part of the chest but I dunno. Thanks.

Artie

Marianne quinn
                            Participant

My friend who had breast cancer finally got a port. It worked well for her and she was sorry she didn't get it sooner. I agree with Celeste ; be sure everyone follows good infection practices.

Have a

Marianne quinn
                              Participant

My friend who had breast cancer finally got a port. It worked well for her and she was sorry she didn't get it sooner. I agree with Celeste ; be sure everyone follows good infection practices.

Have a

Marianne quinn
                                Participant

Have a

Marianne quinn
                                  Participant

My friend who had breast cancer finally got a port. It worked well for her and she was sorry she didn't get it sooner. I agree with Celeste ; be sure everyone follows good infection  control practices.

Have a great thanksgiving. You are an inspiration to us all

Marianne quinn
                                    Participant

My friend who had breast cancer finally got a port. It worked well for her and she was sorry she didn't get it sooner. I agree with Celeste ; be sure everyone follows good infection  control practices.

Marianne quinn
                                      Participant

Marianne quinn
                                        Participant

Marianne quinn
                                          Participant

Marianne quinn
                                            Participant

arthurjedi007
                                              Participant

Artie

SarahW
                                              Participant

I second everything Bubbles said. My husband  has had a port since February 2012. His port was put in for another illness entirely, but has gotten a lot more use since the stage IV melanoma diagnosis in August 2012.

his port lies just under his right clavicle. Since you are having left sided procedures I would think they could do the same for you and that it would not interfere with treatment of your left clavicle. 

All all the best to you,

SarahW

SarahW
                                                Participant

All all the best to you,

SarahW

ncdaniel
                                                  Participant

Make sure you get a power port put in. It can be used for scans. My wife had a dual power port worked great and stopped a lot of heddle sticks.

ncdaniel
                                                    Participant

Make sure you get a power port put in. It can be used for scans. My wife had a dual power port worked great and stopped a lot of heddle sticks.

arthurjedi007
                                                        Participant

Ok. Thanks. My niece mentioned it should be a power port too.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                          Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                            Participant

Artie

ncdaniel
                                                            Participant

ecc26
                                                              Participant

After all the surgeries and scans, along with Ipi, etc I was having the same issues with peripheral catheters. I made the decision to get a port in June, just before starting PD-1 for the reasons others have stated: not having to have peripheral catheters for infusions or scans, being able to have blood draws, etc from it. I'm definitely not sorry. Mine is in the left side and they had a little trouble inserting it due to some odd vascular rearranging that had happened as a result of some of my subcutaneous tumors. They didn't want to put it on the right because I have some trouble with lymphedema in my right arm and they were afraid it would make that worse. I would suspect though in your case they would prefer the right side to keep it away from the radiation field. 

I found it a little uncomfortable for about a week while it was healing (mostly at night trying to sleep- i like to sleep on my side and if I wasn't on my back it was a little uncomfortable). It got better pretty quickly though and doesn't bother me at all these days unless one of my cats decides to walk on it. It's been really nice not to have to have 4-6 different people trying to find a satisfactory vein in my arm (each of them trying at least 2 places). Things are much smoother, easier, and quicker with the port.

ecc26
                                                                Participant

After all the surgeries and scans, along with Ipi, etc I was having the same issues with peripheral catheters. I made the decision to get a port in June, just before starting PD-1 for the reasons others have stated: not having to have peripheral catheters for infusions or scans, being able to have blood draws, etc from it. I'm definitely not sorry. Mine is in the left side and they had a little trouble inserting it due to some odd vascular rearranging that had happened as a result of some of my subcutaneous tumors. They didn't want to put it on the right because I have some trouble with lymphedema in my right arm and they were afraid it would make that worse. I would suspect though in your case they would prefer the right side to keep it away from the radiation field. 

I found it a little uncomfortable for about a week while it was healing (mostly at night trying to sleep- i like to sleep on my side and if I wasn't on my back it was a little uncomfortable). It got better pretty quickly though and doesn't bother me at all these days unless one of my cats decides to walk on it. It's been really nice not to have to have 4-6 different people trying to find a satisfactory vein in my arm (each of them trying at least 2 places). Things are much smoother, easier, and quicker with the port.

arthurjedi007
                                                                    Participant

Sounds good. I think I'll wait and see what they say about getting me to walking good again then ask about this.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                      Participant

Sounds good. I think I'll wait and see what they say about getting me to walking good again then ask about this.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                        Participant

Artie

ecc26
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics