The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

anything for brain mets other than whole brain?

Forums General Melanoma Community anything for brain mets other than whole brain?

Participant

Hello to all you incredible folks.  I've been reading this blog since my husband, Chris, was diagnosed with Stage 4 Mel in Jan. 2011. You all have been an inspiration and huge support in our journey.  So, I thank you and thank you.

Hello to all you incredible folks.  I've been reading this blog since my husband, Chris, was diagnosed with Stage 4 Mel in Jan. 2011. You all have been an inspiration and huge support in our journey.  So, I thank you and thank you.

Chris's journey started with a visit to the emergency room followed by a craniotomy for a bleeding brain tumor.  This was the first we know he had cancer.  He was lucky enough to get on a GSK Braf Inhibitor trial at UCSF in April 2011.  Everything looked good for a year and then in April 2012, his scans showed progression in both the brain and the body.  He had Gamma Knife to treat the brain mets in May.  Also went on Zelboraf and Yervoy In May.  Brain MRI in July showed two (out of 14) of the mets treated with gamma had progressed and there were four tiny new mets in his brain.  We chose to have no steroids and no treatment of his brain as that would almost certainly require steroids too.  We crossed our fingers and hoped the Yervoy would work.  Chris is due to have another MRI of his brain this friday.  Based on the subcus we can feel, it doesn't appear to be working.  We've talked to everyone we can think of but can't any PD-1 or PDL-1 or Adoptive Cell Transfer that will allow him on if he has active brain mets. 

Does anyone know of anything?  His oncologist is recommending whole brain radiation followed by a gamma knife "boost" in the hope that that will give him 8 wks of brain stability.  Everything we've read or hear about whole brain would indicate that whole brain is going to have significant and permanent neurological side effects.  Chris is 61, in great health other than the melanoma, and we'd love to have some option other than whole brain radiation.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Hi sorry to hear the boat you are in, but stay positive.

I don't think WBR is as bad as people say. Frankly melanoma is your biggest concern, so I would probably listen to your oncologist. My father did WBR for 5 days, and it didn't work but some people do have a measure of success with little side effects. Fatigue tends to be the biggest issue, the treatment knocks you around, but it's doable. I would then follow with gamma as a boost definately. Unfortunately there are not a lot of options trial wise once you have brain mets. Dexamethisone gave me dad real quality of life for 4 months and he never had a headache through out his journey. My dad was 64 and also in good health. Have you tried Temador yet? Ive heard of some on this board having good success as far as keeping things stable.

I't s a hard road, but hang in there.

Nahmi from Melbourne

Jin
            Participant

Hi Nahmi,

Thanks so much for this.  I'm very sorry to hear about your dad.  My heart is with you and I really appreciate that you are still on this board.

It's encouraging to hear about the success of Dex with your dad.  And we'll definitely check into Temador.  I don't know anything about it.

With all best,

Jin

Jin
              Participant

Hi Nahmi,

Thanks so much for this.  I'm very sorry to hear about your dad.  My heart is with you and I really appreciate that you are still on this board.

It's encouraging to hear about the success of Dex with your dad.  And we'll definitely check into Temador.  I don't know anything about it.

With all best,

Jin

Jin
                Participant

Hi Nahmi,

With all best,

Jin

deardad
                Participant

I don't think WBR is as bad as people say. Frankly melanoma is your biggest concern, so I would probably listen to your oncologist. My father did WBR for 5 days, and it didn't work but some people do have a measure of success with little side effects. Fatigue tends to be the biggest issue, the treatment knocks you around, but it's doable. I would then follow with gamma as a boost definately. Unfortunately there are not a lot of options trial wise once you have brain mets. Dexamethisone gave me dad real quality of life for 4 months and he never had a headache through out his journey. My dad was 64 and also in good health. Have you tried Temador yet? Ive heard of some on this board having good success as far as keeping things stable.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                  Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

BrianP
                    Participant

Jin,

You may want to look into this phase 2 trial.  It sounds promising.

Ipilimumab and Fotemustine in Patients With Advanced Melanoma (NIBIT-M1): An Open-Label, Single-Arm Phase 2 Trial

Lancet Oncol. 2012 Aug 12;[Epub Ahead of Print], AM Di Giacomo, PA Ascierto, L Pilla, M Santinami, PF Ferrucci, D Giannarelli, A Marasco, L Rivoltini, E Simeone, SVL Nicoletti, E Fonsatti, D Annesi, P Queirolo, A Testori, R Ridolfi, G Parmiani, M Maio

Abstract

Abstract

Background: Ipilimumab improves survival of patients with metastatic melanoma, many of whom develop brain metastases. Chemotherapy-induced release of tumour antigens might amplify ipilimumab's antitumour activity. We aimed to investigate the efficacy and safety of ipilimumab plus fotemustine in patients with metastatic melanoma with or without asymptomatic brain metastases.

Methods: In our open-label, single-arm phase 2 trial, we enrolled patients 18 years or older with measurable, locally advanced, unresectable stage III or stage IV melanoma between July 6, 2010, and April 14, 2011. Eligible patients had a life expectancy of 16 weeks or more and an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status of 1 or less, and could have received a maximum of one previous line of chemotherapy. Participants received induction treatment of 10 mg/kg intravenous ipilimumab every 3 weeks to a total of four doses, and 100 mg/m2 intravenous fotemustine weekly for 3 weeks and then every 3 weeks from week 9 to week 24. Patients with a confirmed clinical response were eligible for maintenance treatment from week 24, with ipilimumab every 12 weeks and fotemustine every 3 weeks. The primary endpoint was the proportion of patients with immune-related disease control as established with immune-related response criteria. Analyses were done per protocol.

Findings: 86 patients were eligible for treatment, of whom 20 had asymptomatic brain metastases at baseline. 40 patients in the study population achieved disease control (46.5%, 95% CI 35.7–57.6), as did ten with brain metastases (50.0%, 27.2–72.8). 47 patients (55%) had grade 3 or 4 treatment-related adverse events, of which the most common was myelotoxicity (thrombocytopenia in 21 [24%] patients and neutropenia in 16 [19%]). The most common grade 3 or 4 immune-related adverse events were hepatic: 21 patients (24%) had grade 3 or 4 increases in concentrations of alanine aminotransferase or aspartate aminotransferase.

Interpretation: The combination of ipilimumab plus fotemustine has clinical activity in patients with metastatic melanoma, including those with brain metastases.

Jin
                        Participant

Hello Brian,

Thanks for this.  It looks to me like this trial is over and they will be starting up a Phase III trial which certainly could be of interest.  As far as I could tell they only accepted "asymptomatic" brain metastases in the Phase ii which would exclude Chris.  He still has some brain mets that are growing.  Maybe in the Phase iii trial they'll open up a brain mets arm.  That would be incredible.

Thanks again,

Jin

Jin
                          Participant

Hello Brian,

Thanks for this.  It looks to me like this trial is over and they will be starting up a Phase III trial which certainly could be of interest.  As far as I could tell they only accepted "asymptomatic" brain metastases in the Phase ii which would exclude Chris.  He still has some brain mets that are growing.  Maybe in the Phase iii trial they'll open up a brain mets arm.  That would be incredible.

Thanks again,

Jin

Jin
                            Participant

Hello Brian,

Thanks again,

Jin

BrianP
                            Participant

Jin,

Ipilimumab and Fotemustine in Patients With Advanced Melanoma (NIBIT-M1): An Open-Label, Single-Arm Phase 2 Trial

Lancet Oncol. 2012 Aug 12;[Epub Ahead of Print], AM Di Giacomo, PA Ascierto, L Pilla, M Santinami, PF Ferrucci, D Giannarelli, A Marasco, L Rivoltini, E Simeone, SVL Nicoletti, E Fonsatti, D Annesi, P Queirolo, A Testori, R Ridolfi, G Parmiani, M Maio

Abstract

Abstract

Background: Ipilimumab improves survival of patients with metastatic melanoma, many of whom develop brain metastases. Chemotherapy-induced release of tumour antigens might amplify ipilimumab's antitumour activity. We aimed to investigate the efficacy and safety of ipilimumab plus fotemustine in patients with metastatic melanoma with or without asymptomatic brain metastases.

Methods: In our open-label, single-arm phase 2 trial, we enrolled patients 18 years or older with measurable, locally advanced, unresectable stage III or stage IV melanoma between July 6, 2010, and April 14, 2011. Eligible patients had a life expectancy of 16 weeks or more and an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status of 1 or less, and could have received a maximum of one previous line of chemotherapy. Participants received induction treatment of 10 mg/kg intravenous ipilimumab every 3 weeks to a total of four doses, and 100 mg/m2 intravenous fotemustine weekly for 3 weeks and then every 3 weeks from week 9 to week 24. Patients with a confirmed clinical response were eligible for maintenance treatment from week 24, with ipilimumab every 12 weeks and fotemustine every 3 weeks. The primary endpoint was the proportion of patients with immune-related disease control as established with immune-related response criteria. Analyses were done per protocol.

Findings: 86 patients were eligible for treatment, of whom 20 had asymptomatic brain metastases at baseline. 40 patients in the study population achieved disease control (46.5%, 95% CI 35.7–57.6), as did ten with brain metastases (50.0%, 27.2–72.8). 47 patients (55%) had grade 3 or 4 treatment-related adverse events, of which the most common was myelotoxicity (thrombocytopenia in 21 [24%] patients and neutropenia in 16 [19%]). The most common grade 3 or 4 immune-related adverse events were hepatic: 21 patients (24%) had grade 3 or 4 increases in concentrations of alanine aminotransferase or aspartate aminotransferase.

Interpretation: The combination of ipilimumab plus fotemustine has clinical activity in patients with metastatic melanoma, including those with brain metastases.

BrianP
                              Participant

Jin,

Abstract

Abstract

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics