The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone taking Anti PD1 and MEK combo together?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone taking Anti PD1 and MEK combo together?

Participant
      I spoke today with my physician about using these drugs together. I have not developed a resistance to MEK yet, but he wants to be on the anti PD1 before it happens. My scan this week shows all but original lung tumor is gone. Very happy about that. I was on Yervoy last year and didn’t feel well on it so I’m concerned. Any personal experiences? Thank you
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MELK
        Participant
          I was given Braf/Mek combo in January of 2015. It worked. Lots of my tumors were gone, only a couple in the liver remained. I was feeling really well. I had been doing lots of bush walking and going to the gym. I had gone back to work and was feeling great.

In January, 2016, I went to the gym and the next day I thought I must have overdone it, as that’s what the pain felt like. After three days though, the Panadol were not working. I had really strong pain all around my rib cage, in my legs and my arms. I saw a GP to get some stronger pain killers and found out I had very low oxygen levels, so I went to hospital.

My bloods were quite alarming. My haemoglobin and platelets were very low and my LDH reached 21,000. My oncologist and his team were puzzled. I also had some fluid on the lungs, which I had drained and analysed for any infection or cancer cells. No infection or cancer cells found in the fluid. I also had an MRI of my spine and a biopsy of my bone marrow. The cancer had gone into my bone marrow. At first my Oncologist thought it could be a completely different cancer, but it was determined it was the melanoma. Apparently it is very unusual that melanoma metastasize into the bone marrow. I not only had the cancer spread to my bone marrow, but I had more tumors/lesions in my liver and many in my thoracic and lumbar vertebrae and pelvis. I was on high doses of Oxycodone and I had to have several blood and platelet transfusions. Then I was put on Keytruda.

After a week or so and a few more blood transfusions, my bloods came right. I was so not expecting “getting resistant” to look like that.

So, I have more lesions now than before i became resistant.
          If they are offering you to go on immunotherapy now, before you get resistant i would go for it.

I am now on Keytruda and having some success, although i am having some liver isues, but everyone is different.

All the best.

Mel

rabbits68
            Participant
              Thank you for your response. I know my doctor is concerned about resistance and so am I. Will need to decide soon.
              rabbits68
              Participant
                Thank you for your response. I know my doctor is concerned about resistance and so am I. Will need to decide soon.
                rabbits68
                Participant
                MELK
                Participant
                  I was given Braf/Mek combo in January of 2015. It worked. Lots of my tumors were gone, only a couple in the liver remained. I was feeling really well. I had been doing lots of bush walking and going to the gym. I had gone back to work and was feeling great.

In January, 2016, I went to the gym and the next day I thought I must have overdone it, as that’s what the pain felt like. After three days though, the Panadol were not working. I had really strong pain all around my rib cage, in my legs and my arms. I saw a GP to get some stronger pain killers and found out I had very low oxygen levels, so I went to hospital.

My bloods were quite alarming. My haemoglobin and platelets were very low and my LDH reached 21,000. My oncologist and his team were puzzled. I also had some fluid on the lungs, which I had drained and analysed for any infection or cancer cells. No infection or cancer cells found in the fluid. I also had an MRI of my spine and a biopsy of my bone marrow. The cancer had gone into my bone marrow. At first my Oncologist thought it could be a completely different cancer, but it was determined it was the melanoma. Apparently it is very unusual that melanoma metastasize into the bone marrow. I not only had the cancer spread to my bone marrow, but I had more tumors/lesions in my liver and many in my thoracic and lumbar vertebrae and pelvis. I was on high doses of Oxycodone and I had to have several blood and platelet transfusions. Then I was put on Keytruda.

After a week or so and a few more blood transfusions, my bloods came right. I was so not expecting “getting resistant” to look like that.

If they are offering you to go on immunotherapy now, before you get resistant i would go for it.

I am now on Keytruda and having some success, although i am having some liver isues, but everyone is different.

All the best.

Mel

MELK
                  Participant

All the best.

Mel

Rita and Charles
                    Participant

My husband is on combo now, going into 9th month. For the past months, every day still nauseous and diareha …….last PET showed right lung tumor significantly shrunk, but the lymph nodes showed now improvement. There was something on the PET in the left lung, but inconclusive.  CT scan scheduled for this week, doctor visit in May 4………we did go on vacation, caribbean, slathered in 70 spf.  He actually got "whiter" if possible, on his arms,etc white patches. No burn, always slathered to protect.

Besides getting bad scan results and confirming meds have stopped working……has anyone had any other 
                      experiences that made them believe that it wasn't doing the job….any change in sensitivity to it, any skin change……or is it boom, guess it stopped working?  Somehow we feel like we might be at the end of the combo road – but who knows? The CT might prove that whatever was seen new in left lung was nothing at all…….

It's been almost one year [5/21] from when we got the phone call…stage 4, metastatic, malignant – body blows to hear.  It took time for many opinions then to go with BRAF combo…….each day has been hard, one way or another, my husband doesn't work due to a chronic back issue…….but it enters our head, if nothing new, if lymph nodes still lit up from last PET – no change.  Do we do a year of bucket list with no medication…….I know, that sounds crazy right?  He can't eat, lost 25 pounds in the year, depressed…….there may be a moment when I quit my job and we jump ship……

How in the hell are any of us able to figure this out? gamble year of happiness and pray the cancer stays stable like a good little boy? or take a year and then regret if it has caused his life span to shorten? When is quanitity over quality……these questions and decisoins are too hard.

So back to Question 1 – anybody know if there are any indicators when BRAF/MED stops…..

Question 2 – I like the MEK plus anti pd1 – would that lessen side affects?

Rita

Polymath
                        Participant

Hi Rita,

I think I had responded before about experience with BRAF meds.  Extraordinary and miserable side-effects from Zelboraf but very effective, for three short months.  Then stable disease, with few side-effects for about 6 months on the TAF/MEK combo.  But as noted, in both, progression occurred in a very short time period.  I do not recall any change, in feelings, or side-effects in either case.  It was simply scans, or in my case obvious sub-Q tumors that were growing again.  On a bigger picture note, I too knocked off many items on my bucket list during my second year of treatment, especially since every scan showed further progression. But that should not be confused with giving up.  I understand, every situation is different, and these are personal choices.  But BRAF meds tend to come at the beginning of disease treatment (yours and my case both)  I believe this is the so-called standard of care.  It would seem immunotherapy has not been tried yet and would be the next logical step for your husband.  Enjoy life, and do the list if you can, but no need to walk-away from treatment.  The idea now is to stay alive long enough to benefit from the next breakthrough drug. From the sound of it, your journey is still in its early stages.  Best in all you do.

Gary

Polymath
                          Participant

Hi Rita,

I think I had responded before about experience with BRAF meds.  Extraordinary and miserable side-effects from Zelboraf but very effective, for three short months.  Then stable disease, with few side-effects for about 6 months on the TAF/MEK combo.  But as noted, in both, progression occurred in a very short time period.  I do not recall any change, in feelings, or side-effects in either case.  It was simply scans, or in my case obvious sub-Q tumors that were growing again.  On a bigger picture note, I too knocked off many items on my bucket list during my second year of treatment, especially since every scan showed further progression. But that should not be confused with giving up.  I understand, every situation is different, and these are personal choices.  But BRAF meds tend to come at the beginning of disease treatment (yours and my case both)  I believe this is the so-called standard of care.  It would seem immunotherapy has not been tried yet and would be the next logical step for your husband.  Enjoy life, and do the list if you can, but no need to walk-away from treatment.  The idea now is to stay alive long enough to benefit from the next breakthrough drug. From the sound of it, your journey is still in its early stages.  Best in all you do.

Gary

Polymath
                            Participant

Hi Rita,

Gary

Rita and Charles
                            Participant

My husband is on combo now, going into 9th month. For the past months, every day still nauseous and diareha …….last PET showed right lung tumor significantly shrunk, but the lymph nodes showed now improvement. There was something on the PET in the left lung, but inconclusive.  CT scan scheduled for this week, doctor visit in May 4………we did go on vacation, caribbean, slathered in 70 spf.  He actually got "whiter" if possible, on his arms,etc white patches. No burn, always slathered to protect.

Besides getting bad scan results and confirming meds have stopped working……has anyone had any other 
                              experiences that made them believe that it wasn't doing the job….any change in sensitivity to it, any skin change……or is it boom, guess it stopped working?  Somehow we feel like we might be at the end of the combo road – but who knows? The CT might prove that whatever was seen new in left lung was nothing at all…….

It's been almost one year [5/21] from when we got the phone call…stage 4, metastatic, malignant – body blows to hear.  It took time for many opinions then to go with BRAF combo…….each day has been hard, one way or another, my husband doesn't work due to a chronic back issue…….but it enters our head, if nothing new, if lymph nodes still lit up from last PET – no change.  Do we do a year of bucket list with no medication…….I know, that sounds crazy right?  He can't eat, lost 25 pounds in the year, depressed…….there may be a moment when I quit my job and we jump ship……

How in the hell are any of us able to figure this out? gamble year of happiness and pray the cancer stays stable like a good little boy? or take a year and then regret if it has caused his life span to shorten? When is quanitity over quality……these questions and decisoins are too hard.

So back to Question 1 – anybody know if there are any indicators when BRAF/MED stops…..

Rita

Rita and Charles
                              Participant

Rita

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics