The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone stopped taking Dilantin?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone stopped taking Dilantin?

Participant

I had brain surgery back in June 2011, and just this past week my Brain doctor told me I can stop taking the Dilantin since I've never had a seizure.

Unlike the steroids where it took a month of weaning off according to the doctor, this time he wants me off these in 1 week, so instead of 3 pills a day, I'm down to 2 pills a day, and tomorrow thru Thursday I'll be down to 1 pill a day.

Just seems like quick stop, just making sure that seems right?

I had brain surgery back in June 2011, and just this past week my Brain doctor told me I can stop taking the Dilantin since I've never had a seizure.

Unlike the steroids where it took a month of weaning off according to the doctor, this time he wants me off these in 1 week, so instead of 3 pills a day, I'm down to 2 pills a day, and tomorrow thru Thursday I'll be down to 1 pill a day.

Just seems like quick stop, just making sure that seems right?

I am sorta nervous about going off though, I always like the extra protection of not getting a seizure of course, now it's like if my body wants to give me one it will.

So, just anxious to see if anyone else stopped taking theirs that quickly?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        nickmac56
        Participant

My wife went off it, but it was a much smoother taper, even though she has stayed on Kepra and Lacosamide. Her neurologist had her taper it over a month. 

nickmac56
          Participant

My wife went off it, but it was a much smoother taper, even though she has stayed on Kepra and Lacosamide. Her neurologist had her taper it over a month. 

momof2kids
            Participant

Ok thanks, I did just finally read that some doctors take you off quickly, others take awhile, I guess since I've had no seizures, and I'm not on any other medications for cancer, that's the quick withdrawal.

momof2kids
              Participant

Ok thanks, I did just finally read that some doctors take you off quickly, others take awhile, I guess since I've had no seizures, and I'm not on any other medications for cancer, that's the quick withdrawal.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics