The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone out there have a late recurrence?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone out there have a late recurrence?

Participant

I had a thin stage 1 melanoma removed with wide local excision and negative sentinel node biopsy 9 years ago.  Had a recent brown spot develop right along the margin of my scar- and its melanoma in situ.

I am 35 now, with three kids under four.  I am having a very hard time coping with the fear of metastatic disease and death.  I have to wait another week to meet with my dermatologist.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?

I am so confused how my tumor could come back as melanoma in situ, how it took so long to recur locally.  From speaking to the dermatologist on the phone, he thinks it may be a new primary that "just happened to develop along my scar", but I don't know if I can buy that.  He also said that, if it is a second primary, I am now at a 9 times risk for developing another.

I don't know if they can actually determine pathologically whether it's a recurrence or a new primary, or if they can somehow tell?  Because right now I'm petrified of the implications of a local recurrence (if it is still living in my skin, won't it eventually keep coming back until it metastasizes), and I'm also worried I'm at 9 times risk of another because it might be a new primary.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        melj
        Participant

I had a local recurrence at the site of my original primary but it presented as a subcutaneous nodule , no surface pigmentation. However, get it checked out and good luck.

melj
          Participant

I had a local recurrence at the site of my original primary but it presented as a subcutaneous nodule , no surface pigmentation. However, get it checked out and good luck.

melj
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

Typically recurrences happen from the lymph vessels in the dermis upward toward the surface of the skin, and new primaries start in the epidermis (in situ) and move down toward the lymph vessels where they can spread.  With a diagnosis of in situ, did the pathologist mention recurrence?  Because the diagnosis of in situ implies a primary (epidermis only) and would follow what your doc said.  I understand the location is close and I'm sure it is possible for a cell to lie dormant in the epidermis, but it's not a scenario you hear a lot.  About 10% of the melanoma population have more than one primary, but ironically, a study in Australia found they had better survival rates.  So a new primary isn't all bad news (I've had 3 with the first removed 22 years ago and I'm still stage 1b).

Machmama
                  Participant

The pathologist called it a "recurrent melanoma in situ".

I am in the process of transferring my care to an academic center (the Mayo Clinic) and they will review everything so I should know more.  

Thank you for your explanation- it is helping my nerves a lot because I'm so terrified of metastatic disease.

Janner
                    Participant

Ok.  So they are thinking it is more like a cell was left behind and restarted to grow in the epidermis.  You definitely want it in the epidermis because that basically means they'd probably just do a bigger WLE.  Glad you're getting a second opinion on things.  Please don't start panicking yet! 

Janner
                      Participant

Ok.  So they are thinking it is more like a cell was left behind and restarted to grow in the epidermis.  You definitely want it in the epidermis because that basically means they'd probably just do a bigger WLE.  Glad you're getting a second opinion on things.  Please don't start panicking yet! 

Janner
                        Participant

AllysonRuth
                          Participant

I am being treated at the Mayo Clinic and they are fabulous.  I have been so impressed.  Additionally, I love their comprehensive app.  it has all my actual scans, doctor notes, blood work, etc.   In fact, i was at another local doctor today and I could pull up my actual MRI scan just off my phone.  While their app is neat, the doctors have been so supportive, caring and thorough.  Good choice to get a second opinion.  Good luck.  You are in good hands.

Allyson

Stage iV, lung mets, brain mets, small intestine mets

AllysonRuth
                            Participant

I am being treated at the Mayo Clinic and they are fabulous.  I have been so impressed.  Additionally, I love their comprehensive app.  it has all my actual scans, doctor notes, blood work, etc.   In fact, i was at another local doctor today and I could pull up my actual MRI scan just off my phone.  While their app is neat, the doctors have been so supportive, caring and thorough.  Good choice to get a second opinion.  Good luck.  You are in good hands.

Allyson

Machmama
                              Participant

Thanks Allyson! 

Machmama
                                Participant

Thanks Allyson! 

Machmama
                                  Participant

Thanks Allyson! 

AllysonRuth
                                    Participant

Allyson

Machmama
                                      Participant

I am in the process of transferring my care to an academic center (the Mayo Clinic) and they will review everything so I should know more.  

Thank you for your explanation- it is helping my nerves a lot because I'm so terrified of metastatic disease.

Machmama
                                        Participant

Janner
                                        Participant

Typically recurrences happen from the lymph vessels in the dermis upward toward the surface of the skin, and new primaries start in the epidermis (in situ) and move down toward the lymph vessels where they can spread.  With a diagnosis of in situ, did the pathologist mention recurrence?  Because the diagnosis of in situ implies a primary (epidermis only) and would follow what your doc said.  I understand the location is close and I'm sure it is possible for a cell to lie dormant in the epidermis, but it's not a scenario you hear a lot.  About 10% of the melanoma population have more than one primary, but ironically, a study in Australia found they had better survival rates.  So a new primary isn't all bad news (I've had 3 with the first removed 22 years ago and I'm still stage 1b).

Janner
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics