The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone in a Nivo/IPI combo trial?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone in a Nivo/IPI combo trial?

Participant

I traveled down to Moffitt this past week to enter a MAGE vaccine trial for Stage IV NED patients.  Unfortunately due to some delays with pathology request the scans I had several weeks ago which indicated no disease are now not recent enough for the trial so I had to get rescanned.  The new scans showed evidence of disease so I had to come up with a new game plan.  I'm now looking to travel back down to Moffitt this upcoming week to enter the BMS Nivo/IPI combo trial.  There's been a lot of press on this new combo but surprisingly I haven't heard of man

I traveled down to Moffitt this past week to enter a MAGE vaccine trial for Stage IV NED patients.  Unfortunately due to some delays with pathology request the scans I had several weeks ago which indicated no disease are now not recent enough for the trial so I had to get rescanned.  The new scans showed evidence of disease so I had to come up with a new game plan.  I'm now looking to travel back down to Moffitt this upcoming week to enter the BMS Nivo/IPI combo trial.  There's been a lot of press on this new combo but surprisingly I haven't heard of many people on this forum enrolled in the trial.  Would love to hear from someone on the trial if they could share their experinences so far.  Thanks!

Brian

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        CherylL
        Participant

Hi Brian—-

My husband, Scott JUST matriculated into the BMS Nivo/IPI trial (offered sequentially, not concurrently) at UVA's Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center….under the supervision of the AMAZING Dr. Grosh. (We had to be rescanned, and biospied pre-acceptance as well). This UVA trial just opened July 1st. (From what I understand, trials with simultaneous administration of the two drugs a la Sloan Kettering will be about 18 months to 2 years in the development process. We could not—and did not want to—wait. We're elated to be participating, and to have the opportunity to do so at our oncological "home base.")

My husband just had his first infusion of Nivolumab on July 17th, and is scheduled for his second this Wednesday, the 31st.

We're too early to be able to speak extensively about our experience…my husband has felt largely well. πŸ™‚
          (He did two cycles of IL-2 last summer which really raised our bar for assessing the magnitude of side effects! My husband was a partial responder to IL-2…not officially recurring (we had some tiny stable spots we were watching) until our May 2013 scans this year.

Have heard GREAT things about Moffitt and Dr. Weber…hope you get the opportunity to move forward with the trial there…we can compare notes!

All the very best to you—tenacity, hope and HEALTH!
          Cheryl
          Wife of Scott, Stage 4 since February 2012
          [Giving melanoma a regular beat-down since October 2005]

CherylL
          Participant

Hi Brian—-

My husband, Scott JUST matriculated into the BMS Nivo/IPI trial (offered sequentially, not concurrently) at UVA's Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center….under the supervision of the AMAZING Dr. Grosh. (We had to be rescanned, and biospied pre-acceptance as well). This UVA trial just opened July 1st. (From what I understand, trials with simultaneous administration of the two drugs a la Sloan Kettering will be about 18 months to 2 years in the development process. We could not—and did not want to—wait. We're elated to be participating, and to have the opportunity to do so at our oncological "home base.")

My husband just had his first infusion of Nivolumab on July 17th, and is scheduled for his second this Wednesday, the 31st.

We're too early to be able to speak extensively about our experience…my husband has felt largely well. πŸ™‚
            (He did two cycles of IL-2 last summer which really raised our bar for assessing the magnitude of side effects! My husband was a partial responder to IL-2…not officially recurring (we had some tiny stable spots we were watching) until our May 2013 scans this year.

Have heard GREAT things about Moffitt and Dr. Weber…hope you get the opportunity to move forward with the trial there…we can compare notes!

Cheryl

CherylL
            Participant

Hi Brian—-

Cheryl

BrianP
              Participant

Hey Cheryl,

Thanks for your reply.  To be honest you may have had a huge impact on my plan.  Just to confirm is Scott in the NCT01783938 trial?  On the clinicaltrials.gov it still shows UVA as a future site and when I spoke with Dr. Weber about other locations closer to me he didn't mention UVA.  I'm in NC so UVA would be more convenient to me (plus I went there for undergrad so I like going back there).  I had a consult at UVA last month with Dr. Slingluff and I was very impressed with the staff.   

It's going to be a tough call.  I really do like Dr. Weber.  He has been fantastic.  Maybe I start at Moffitt and later switch to UVA when it gets to the maintenance phase of the trial if they allow that. 

Thanks again.  I'm still not officially enrolled yet but if I'm fortunate enough to get in I look forward to comparing notes with you in the future.

Brian

CherylL
                Participant

Hey Brian!
                  Indeed! We are in the NCT01783938 trial….it JUST opened up officially July 1… there had been some delays.
                  The UVA staff is incredible…we couldn't be happier with the entire team there…especially our beloved Dr. Grosh. (I am unsure if he ever sleeps!)

In order to join the trial, we needed to have at least two tumors, one needed to be significant "measurable" tumor, and a biopsy to confirm extant melanoma (even with extensive history, it was needed), +  lots of labs and scans.

We'll be going every two weeks for 12 weeks (Nivo) , then every 3 weeks for 12 weeks (IPI), then up to two years follow-up infusions every two weeks (Nivo). Scans strategically scattered throughout.

Please keep us updated with your progress and where you end up being treated…we'd love to be able to compare notes. πŸ™‚

Health and hope to you!
                  Cheryl

CherylL
                  Participant

Hey Brian—

Like you, my man's tumors seem to always be in "tricky" locales. He has had NUMEROUS CT guided biopsies at UVA…and the one he had for melanoma verification last month was also CT guided.

Hopefully all will work out for you to join in on the UVA trial. πŸ™‚ Wherever you end up participating, let's DEFINITELY stay in touch.

My Scott just had his second infusion of Nivo today, and is doing great. We're hanging out watching TV with our 11-year-old twins. (They were FOUR when he was first diagnosed. Gotta keep fighting!) So far (and yes, it is VERY early in the trial)…tiredness, a little flu-ey, but not too many of the possible side-effects yet.

Keep me updated with how things progress!
                    HEALTH, HOPE, and eye on the NED prize!
                    Best-
                    Cheryl

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Hi Cheryl,

Totally agree about the entire staff at UVA.  Pulling for this trial to show great results.  Amazing how much things have changed in the melanoma field since we got into this learning mode (that we never wanted in)!  My next scan and visit with Dr Wiess is  Sept 9th. Will be there from about 14:30 thru 1700.

CherylL
                      Participant

Jerry, so nice to see you on this thread!
                        I will never forget that we met you on our very first visit to UVA (upon the occasion of my husband's first recurrence back in 2009)…you were inspiring then, and still are!

We met with Dr. Weiss for the first time on the occasion of my husband's first Nivolumab infusion late last month (as Dr. Grosh was on vacation)—and you are right, ALL of the melanoma mashing team at UVA are TOP NOTCH. Wonderful, wonderful advocates. πŸ™‚ Adore them all.

Hope you and yours are doing well….looking forward to hearing good news following your September scans. πŸ™‚

Health, hope and happiness—
                        Cheryl
                        Wife of Scott, Stage 4, Beating down melanoma since 2005.

Globetrotter
                        Participant

hi brian, cheryl et al … was wondering if you have any updates on your experiences with your ipi/nivo treatments … i'm a danish stage 4 patient looking to enter bms ipi and/or nivo phase 3 trial and was hoping to learn about results and side effects of ipi/nivo … wishing you all a healthy 2014!!

BrianP
                            Participant

Globetrotter,

I'm doing great.  Quick rundown for me.  My arm consisted of 6 infusions of nivo given once every two weeks, then 4 infusions of IPI given every 3 weeks, and then back to nivo every 2 weeks for an additional 2 years.  The first 12 weeks of Nivo were uneventful with minimal side effects.  I was scanned at the end of the nivo cycle and results showed moderate reduction in melanoma and no new mets.  I then started the IPI infusions and received my first 3 infusions with minimal side effects.  About a week after my 3rd infusion I started to get headaches which culminated in some extremely painful headaches this past weekend and today.  Myself and my oncologist believe I have hypophysitis which is a autoimmune reaction affecting the pituitary glad.  As a result my 4th and final infusion has been postponed for now and I have started prednisone.  My next scheduled scan is in about 2 weeks from now which will be the first time I get to see how the combined 1 – 2 punch of Nivo and IPI are working. 

Hopefully Cheryl won't mind if I speak for her.  I talk to her weekly about her husband since he's in the exact same trial and same location as me.  His results have been spectacular.  He had "dramatic" reduction after the Nivo cycle.  He had a pretty tough reaction to the IPI.  After the 2nd IPI infusion he had to stop due to toxicities.  The great news is even with only two IPI infusions his most recent scan showed a further 50% reduction in tumor since the first scan. 

Even with the toxicities I think Cheryl would agree that we couldn't be happier with the results.  Both of us are striving for that elusive NED status in 2014 and believe we can get there.

Good luck to you.  What are the arm options of your trial and is it a sequesntial or concurrent Nivo/IPI trial.  Ursula is another member on here who started about the same time as me.  She in a concurrent Nivo/IPI trial and last I heard she's had some great results also.

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Globetrotter,

I'm doing great.  Quick rundown for me.  My arm consisted of 6 infusions of nivo given once every two weeks, then 4 infusions of IPI given every 3 weeks, and then back to nivo every 2 weeks for an additional 2 years.  The first 12 weeks of Nivo were uneventful with minimal side effects.  I was scanned at the end of the nivo cycle and results showed moderate reduction in melanoma and no new mets.  I then started the IPI infusions and received my first 3 infusions with minimal side effects.  About a week after my 3rd infusion I started to get headaches which culminated in some extremely painful headaches this past weekend and today.  Myself and my oncologist believe I have hypophysitis which is a autoimmune reaction affecting the pituitary glad.  As a result my 4th and final infusion has been postponed for now and I have started prednisone.  My next scheduled scan is in about 2 weeks from now which will be the first time I get to see how the combined 1 – 2 punch of Nivo and IPI are working. 

Hopefully Cheryl won't mind if I speak for her.  I talk to her weekly about her husband since he's in the exact same trial and same location as me.  His results have been spectacular.  He had "dramatic" reduction after the Nivo cycle.  He had a pretty tough reaction to the IPI.  After the 2nd IPI infusion he had to stop due to toxicities.  The great news is even with only two IPI infusions his most recent scan showed a further 50% reduction in tumor since the first scan. 

Even with the toxicities I think Cheryl would agree that we couldn't be happier with the results.  Both of us are striving for that elusive NED status in 2014 and believe we can get there.

Good luck to you.  What are the arm options of your trial and is it a sequesntial or concurrent Nivo/IPI trial.  Ursula is another member on here who started about the same time as me.  She in a concurrent Nivo/IPI trial and last I heard she's had some great results also.

Brian

BrianP
                                Participant

Globetrotter,

Brian

Globetrotter
                                Participant

hi brian, cheryl et al … was wondering if you have any updates on your experiences with your ipi/nivo treatments … i'm a danish stage 4 patient looking to enter bms ipi and/or nivo phase 3 trial and was hoping to learn about results and side effects of ipi/nivo … wishing you all a healthy 2014!!

Globetrotter
                                  Participant

BrianP
                                    Participant

Hey Cheryl,

Thanks for your reply.  To be honest you may have had a huge impact on my plan.  Just to confirm is Scott in the NCT01783938 trial?  On the clinicaltrials.gov it still shows UVA as a future site and when I spoke with Dr. Weber about other locations closer to me he didn't mention UVA.  I'm in NC so UVA would be more convenient to me (plus I went there for undergrad so I like going back there).  I had a consult at UVA last month with Dr. Slingluff and I was very impressed with the staff.   

It's going to be a tough call.  I really do like Dr. Weber.  He has been fantastic.  Maybe I start at Moffitt and later switch to UVA when it gets to the maintenance phase of the trial if they allow that. 

Thanks again.  I'm still not officially enrolled yet but if I'm fortunate enough to get in I look forward to comparing notes with you in the future.

Brian

BrianP
                                      Participant

Hey Cheryl,

Brian

CherylL
                                        Participant

Hey Brian!
                                          Indeed! We are in the NCT01783938 trial….it JUST opened up officially July 1… there had been some delays.
                                          The UVA staff is incredible…we couldn't be happier with the entire team there…especially our beloved Dr. Grosh. (I am unsure if he ever sleeps!)

In order to join the trial, we needed to have at least two tumors, one needed to be significant "measurable" tumor, and a biopsy to confirm extant melanoma (even with extensive history, it was needed), +  lots of labs and scans.

We'll be going every two weeks for 12 weeks (Nivo) , then every 3 weeks for 12 weeks (IPI), then up to two years follow-up infusions every two weeks (Nivo). Scans strategically scattered throughout.

Please keep us updated with your progress and where you end up being treated…we'd love to be able to compare notes. πŸ™‚

Health and hope to you!
                                          Cheryl

CherylL
                                          Participant

Hey Brian!

Health and hope to you!
                                            Cheryl

BrianP
                                            Participant

Hey Cheryl,

Glad to hear you are so happy there.  I actually had a consult there back in June when I was looking at NED trials.  At that time I saw Dr. Slingluff.  I was very pleased with everyone I dealt with at that time.

Well I made the committment to switch my trial from Moffitt to UVA yesterday.  It was an agonizing decision for two reasons.  One, I really liked Moffitt and the folks down there, and two, it may mean a delay of starting the trial another week or two.  In the long run though I think it will be a much better fit simply due to the proximity of UVA.

The big obstacle in my way right now is also the "measurable" and biopsy tumors you mentioned.  I have one tumor that is about 3cm x 4cm and one that is about 1.4cm by 2.1cm.  The plan is to biospy the smaller tumor and use the larger one for the measurable tumor.  The problem is the smaller tumor is apparently in a very tough location to biopsy.  Unfortunately the smaller tumor is too small according to the trial to make it the measurable disease and biopsy the larger tumor.  After what seemed like a lot of discussion at Moffitt Dr. Weber found a interventional radiologist to do an ultrasound biopsy.  I'm hoping UVA will come to the same conclusion and do the ultrasound biopsy.  If not I guess I'll be going back down to Moffitt.

I'll let you know how it goes.  Hopefully I'll have good news next week.

Brian

BrianP
                                              Participant

Hey Cheryl,

Glad to hear you are so happy there.  I actually had a consult there back in June when I was looking at NED trials.  At that time I saw Dr. Slingluff.  I was very pleased with everyone I dealt with at that time.

Well I made the committment to switch my trial from Moffitt to UVA yesterday.  It was an agonizing decision for two reasons.  One, I really liked Moffitt and the folks down there, and two, it may mean a delay of starting the trial another week or two.  In the long run though I think it will be a much better fit simply due to the proximity of UVA.

The big obstacle in my way right now is also the "measurable" and biopsy tumors you mentioned.  I have one tumor that is about 3cm x 4cm and one that is about 1.4cm by 2.1cm.  The plan is to biospy the smaller tumor and use the larger one for the measurable tumor.  The problem is the smaller tumor is apparently in a very tough location to biopsy.  Unfortunately the smaller tumor is too small according to the trial to make it the measurable disease and biopsy the larger tumor.  After what seemed like a lot of discussion at Moffitt Dr. Weber found a interventional radiologist to do an ultrasound biopsy.  I'm hoping UVA will come to the same conclusion and do the ultrasound biopsy.  If not I guess I'll be going back down to Moffitt.

Brian

BrianP
                                                Participant

Hey Cheryl,

Brian

CherylL
                                                  Participant

Hey Brian—

Like you, my man's tumors seem to always be in "tricky" locales. He has had NUMEROUS CT guided biopsies at UVA…and the one he had for melanoma verification last month was also CT guided.

Hopefully all will work out for you to join in on the UVA trial. πŸ™‚ Wherever you end up participating, let's DEFINITELY stay in touch.

My Scott just had his second infusion of Nivo today, and is doing great. We're hanging out watching TV with our 11-year-old twins. (They were FOUR when he was first diagnosed. Gotta keep fighting!) So far (and yes, it is VERY early in the trial)…tiredness, a little flu-ey, but not too many of the possible side-effects yet.

Best-
                                                    Cheryl

CherylL
                                                    Participant

Hey Brian—

Best-
                                                      Cheryl

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

Hi Cheryl,

Totally agree about the entire staff at UVA.  Pulling for this trial to show great results.  Amazing how much things have changed in the melanoma field since we got into this learning mode (that we never wanted in)!  My next scan and visit with Dr Wiess is  Sept 9th. Will be there from about 14:30 thru 1700.

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

Hi Cheryl,

CherylL
                                                          Participant

I will never forget that we met you on our very first visit to UVA (upon the occasion of my husband's first recurrence back in 2009)…you were inspiring then, and still are!

We met with Dr. Weiss for the first time on the occasion of my husband's first Nivolumab infusion late last month (as Dr. Grosh was on vacation)—and you are right, ALL of the melanoma mashing team at UVA are TOP NOTCH. Wonderful, wonderful advocates. πŸ™‚ Adore them all.

Hope you and yours are doing well….looking forward to hearing good news following your September scans. πŸ™‚

Cheryl

CherylL
                                                            Participant

Cheryl

Viewing 10 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics