The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone heard from Amy Busby! Jill n’ Eric!

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone heard from Amy Busby! Jill n’ Eric!

Participant

Hi All,

I just got back toMPIP after a long trip. I have gone back & read old post but could not find out anything on Amy Busby & Jill n Eric in Ohio.

Hoping that they are all doing well.

Thanks

Wendy

Hi All,

I just got back toMPIP after a long trip. I have gone back & read old post but could not find out anything on Amy Busby & Jill n Eric in Ohio.

Hoping that they are all doing well.

Thanks

Wendy

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        EricNJill
        Participant

Hi Wendy!  Thanks for asking about us.  It's been a little crazy for me so I'm not on here as much as I used to be.

Eric is on his 9th week of the GSK BRAF/MEK Inhibitors.  His leg is unbelievable!  I've posted pictures on our blog but actually his leg is much better even since the last picture.  His largest tumor is way down!  The others are almost gone!!

http://melanomasucks.blogspot.com/2011/02/thank-god-for-unanswered-prayers.html

As soon as I can I will post a new picture.

Eric has had some illness, probably not related to the drug.  He has significant mastoiditis on the right and mild on the left.  We had no idea…he was running a fever for 4 days that we thought was due to the drug but coincidentally he had scans on Friday which included a Brain MRI (thank god) and they caught the infection.  It's actually spread into the bone.  Since he has hospice care (thank god!) he is able to be on IV Antibiotics at home so he didn't have to be hospitalized for the 10 days.

Although his scans showed significant improvement in his leg, the lymph nodes around his heart have grown in size as well as new enlarged lymph nodes around the heart.  He also has new non-calcified nodules in the lungs.  The Oncologist was surprised that those areas didn't show improvement but since he has such a major change in the tumors in/on his leg they have decided to keep him on the study (thank god!)

As you can see, we have a LOT to be thankful for!!  Especially for all of our MPIP friends that are always thinking of us.  Thank you so much.

JillNEric In OH

EricNJill
          Participant

Hi Wendy!  Thanks for asking about us.  It's been a little crazy for me so I'm not on here as much as I used to be.

Eric is on his 9th week of the GSK BRAF/MEK Inhibitors.  His leg is unbelievable!  I've posted pictures on our blog but actually his leg is much better even since the last picture.  His largest tumor is way down!  The others are almost gone!!

http://melanomasucks.blogspot.com/2011/02/thank-god-for-unanswered-prayers.html

As soon as I can I will post a new picture.

Eric has had some illness, probably not related to the drug.  He has significant mastoiditis on the right and mild on the left.  We had no idea…he was running a fever for 4 days that we thought was due to the drug but coincidentally he had scans on Friday which included a Brain MRI (thank god) and they caught the infection.  It's actually spread into the bone.  Since he has hospice care (thank god!) he is able to be on IV Antibiotics at home so he didn't have to be hospitalized for the 10 days.

Although his scans showed significant improvement in his leg, the lymph nodes around his heart have grown in size as well as new enlarged lymph nodes around the heart.  He also has new non-calcified nodules in the lungs.  The Oncologist was surprised that those areas didn't show improvement but since he has such a major change in the tumors in/on his leg they have decided to keep him on the study (thank god!)

As you can see, we have a LOT to be thankful for!!  Especially for all of our MPIP friends that are always thinking of us.  Thank you so much.

JillNEric In OH

killmel
            Participant

Hi Jill,

So Happy to hear that Eric's tumors on his legs have improved. I am sure that the antiobitics will take care of the infection. Eric will not let a little infection get him done!

You menitiond: "the lymph nodes around his heart have grown in size as well as new enlarged lymph nodes around the heart.  He also has new non-calcified nodules in the lungs". I am not sure what "enlarged lymph nodes" means. Did he have a pet that lit up as "hot" &indicated that the nodes were cancerous or are the nodes were enlarged because of inflammmation. Jill can you clarify forme the significance of enlarged nodes.

I am a newbie so I am just leraning what this all means.

Give Eric my best ^ stay strong. You are in my prayers.

Wendy

EricNJill
                Participant

He didn't have a PET, he had CT scans.  The CT Scan in January said that the lymph nodes around the heart were enlarged, this time the scan said that there were new nodular lymph nodes around the heart and it actually gave measurements:

New Nodular Lymph node adjacent to the anterior aspect of the pulmonary artery measuring 2.6 x 1.4 CM

Another New enlarged lymph node more inferiorly in the anterior mediastinum measuring 2.4 x 1.4 CM

Another enlarged lymph node/metestasis in the anterior mediastinum measuring 1.7 x 2.5 CM

There also appears to be additional small lymph node/metastasis in the anterior mediastinum.

Honestly, I don't know what all those mean except that he has new metastasis but I don't really understand where they are except in the area around the heart and the fact that they are growing and new is not really good.

JillNEric in OH

ValinMtl
                  Participant

Hi Jill…I was so excited for you both when you first posted about Eric's sub-qs disappearing…now it's become more of a watch and observe for a little while.  I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hopefully this drug will fight the new problem if not will they go in another avenue e.g. ipilimumab?  Val

ValinMtl
                    Participant

Hi Jill…I was so excited for you both when you first posted about Eric's sub-qs disappearing…now it's become more of a watch and observe for a little while.  I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hopefully this drug will fight the new problem if not will they go in another avenue e.g. ipilimumab?  Val

EricNJill
                      Participant

He didn't have a PET, he had CT scans.  The CT Scan in January said that the lymph nodes around the heart were enlarged, this time the scan said that there were new nodular lymph nodes around the heart and it actually gave measurements:

New Nodular Lymph node adjacent to the anterior aspect of the pulmonary artery measuring 2.6 x 1.4 CM

Another New enlarged lymph node more inferiorly in the anterior mediastinum measuring 2.4 x 1.4 CM

Another enlarged lymph node/metestasis in the anterior mediastinum measuring 1.7 x 2.5 CM

There also appears to be additional small lymph node/metastasis in the anterior mediastinum.

Honestly, I don't know what all those mean except that he has new metastasis but I don't really understand where they are except in the area around the heart and the fact that they are growing and new is not really good.

JillNEric in OH

killmel
                      Participant

Hi Jill,

So Happy to hear that Eric's tumors on his legs have improved. I am sure that the antiobitics will take care of the infection. Eric will not let a little infection get him done!

You menitiond: "the lymph nodes around his heart have grown in size as well as new enlarged lymph nodes around the heart.  He also has new non-calcified nodules in the lungs". I am not sure what "enlarged lymph nodes" means. Did he have a pet that lit up as "hot" &indicated that the nodes were cancerous or are the nodes were enlarged because of inflammmation. Jill can you clarify forme the significance of enlarged nodes.

I am a newbie so I am just leraning what this all means.

Give Eric my best ^ stay strong. You are in my prayers.

Wendy

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics