The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone have mets in their lungs???

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone have mets in their lungs???

Participant

At my last doctors visit on June 4th he said I have more mets in both of my lungs and some fluid also. This week I have been coughing something awful so I called him and was told it is from the lungs and to suck on cough drops and use syrup. Right after I get up in the morning the coughing is non stop and then I hurt so bad. I am having a biopsy on my tumors on June 27th and see the doctor a week later, then will start the clinical trial, my question here is has anyone had this problem and what did you do for it or is there nothing I can do.

At my last doctors visit on June 4th he said I have more mets in both of my lungs and some fluid also. This week I have been coughing something awful so I called him and was told it is from the lungs and to suck on cough drops and use syrup. Right after I get up in the morning the coughing is non stop and then I hurt so bad. I am having a biopsy on my tumors on June 27th and see the doctor a week later, then will start the clinical trial, my question here is has anyone had this problem and what did you do for it or is there nothing I can do. This cancer sure sucks, am hoping for a cure soon.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        sharmon
        Participant

Hi,  My husband has lung mets and he is on clinical trial using Mek by GSk.  His coughing was extreme and the only thing that help was a prescription of teflon pearls.  My by my spelling is wrong  might be teslon pearls but they worked great.

sharmon
          Participant

Hi,  My husband has lung mets and he is on clinical trial using Mek by GSk.  His coughing was extreme and the only thing that help was a prescription of teflon pearls.  My by my spelling is wrong  might be teslon pearls but they worked great.

yoopergirl
              Participant

I will look up that drug and mention it to my doctor, thanks.

yoopergirl
                Participant

yoopergirl
                  Participant

sharmon
                  Participant

Karin L
                    Participant

That is too long to wait for relief sweetie.  Call the Dr. and tell him what's going on so he can see you sooner and/or offer you a stronger drug solution.  Big hugs.  Yes, it sucks I agree with you there!

Karin

yoopergirl
                        Participant

I agree that to me is too long to wait, but I have a problem here, our son is getting married on the 23rd and the doctor said it would be okay to wait that long. If I don't feel any better by the 26th I will ask to see him when I am in Madison. He is 6 hours away from us so that a problem too. 

yoopergirl
                          Participant

I agree that to me is too long to wait, but I have a problem here, our son is getting married on the 23rd and the doctor said it would be okay to wait that long. If I don't feel any better by the 26th I will ask to see him when I am in Madison. He is 6 hours away from us so that a problem too. 

yoopergirl
                            Participant

Karin L
                            Participant

That is too long to wait for relief sweetie.  Call the Dr. and tell him what's going on so he can see you sooner and/or offer you a stronger drug solution.  Big hugs.  Yes, it sucks I agree with you there!

Karin

Karin L
                              Participant

Karin

H555
                                Participant

we learned in April that I'd jumped to stage 4 when a chest xray id'ed mets in both lungs. I'd had a dry cough that was gettting worse by the day, getting up in the morning and laying down at night were the two worst times. I coughed almost non-stop. I had mets too numerouse to count and a larger one partially blocking an air way. i couldn't take in enough air to blow my nose. My oncologist prescribed hydrocan cough syrup and tessalon perles, both of which helped but didn't stop the cough. I started Zelboraf within a week and immediately started getting bettter. I had high dose radiation on the large met that was blocking the airway at the same time. by week two i was beginnin to feel normal. by week 8 i was down to a respiratory infection. my last CT scan at week 9 showed that 90% of the mets are gone and the larger ones are all half their original size or smaller. for me this has been amiracle drug. I hope to get to NED stage for a long while but will take where I am today with gratitude.

H555
                                  Participant

we learned in April that I'd jumped to stage 4 when a chest xray id'ed mets in both lungs. I'd had a dry cough that was gettting worse by the day, getting up in the morning and laying down at night were the two worst times. I coughed almost non-stop. I had mets too numerouse to count and a larger one partially blocking an air way. i couldn't take in enough air to blow my nose. My oncologist prescribed hydrocan cough syrup and tessalon perles, both of which helped but didn't stop the cough. I started Zelboraf within a week and immediately started getting bettter. I had high dose radiation on the large met that was blocking the airway at the same time. by week two i was beginnin to feel normal. by week 8 i was down to a respiratory infection. my last CT scan at week 9 showed that 90% of the mets are gone and the larger ones are all half their original size or smaller. for me this has been amiracle drug. I hope to get to NED stage for a long while but will take where I am today with gratitude.

yoopergirl
                                      Participant

I am so happy for you, I am not sure that I can Zelboraf since I am Braf negative so hope tha the Alpha Gal trial helps me too. Getting up in the morning is the worst but am still able to sleep without coughing.

yoopergirl
                                        Participant

I am so happy for you, I am not sure that I can Zelboraf since I am Braf negative so hope tha the Alpha Gal trial helps me too. Getting up in the morning is the worst but am still able to sleep without coughing.

yoopergirl
                                          Participant

H555
                                          Participant

rbruce
                                            Participant

I have had numerous lung mets since diagnosed last year.  They started very small, 4 to 8 mm but progressed to as large as 2 cm.  just had my scans since starting anti-pd1 and had over 30% reduction in tumors in 12 weeks. If you are having a biopsy, make sure they test for the pdL expression on your tumors.  Those that do have had an excellent response to anti-pd1. For those of us that are not braf positive, this is a great opportunity.

rbruce
                                              Participant

I have had numerous lung mets since diagnosed last year.  They started very small, 4 to 8 mm but progressed to as large as 2 cm.  just had my scans since starting anti-pd1 and had over 30% reduction in tumors in 12 weeks. If you are having a biopsy, make sure they test for the pdL expression on your tumors.  Those that do have had an excellent response to anti-pd1. For those of us that are not braf positive, this is a great opportunity.

rbruce
                                                Participant

MeNDave
                                                  Participant

If you want, you can try an over the counter drug called Delsym.  My brother (who had a different type of cancer) was bothered day and night by a dry cough, and it helped.  It may be an option for you until you get into your oncologist.

Best wishes,

Maria

MeNDave
                                                    Participant

If you want, you can try an over the counter drug called Delsym.  My brother (who had a different type of cancer) was bothered day and night by a dry cough, and it helped.  It may be an option for you until you get into your oncologist.

Best wishes,

Maria

yoopergirl
                                                        Participant

Thanks Maria, I just went to the pharmacy and got some I first had to ask the pharmicist if it is ok since I take BP meds too and he said this is good. So will take it later because you just take it 12 hours and my coughing is worst in the late afternoon. thanks again. 

yoopergirl
                                                          Participant

Thanks Maria, I just went to the pharmacy and got some I first had to ask the pharmicist if it is ok since I take BP meds too and he said this is good. So will take it later because you just take it 12 hours and my coughing is worst in the late afternoon. thanks again. 

yoopergirl
                                                            Participant

MeNDave
                                                            Participant

Best wishes,

Maria

TSchulz
                                                              Participant

So sorry to hear about your troubles.  Many good suggestions above, the only thing I would add, aside from getting into see you doc a little sooner,  is you may want to get another chest X-ray to see if you have collected more fluid in your chest (aka pleural effusion).  An effusion can be very irritating to the lung and cause coughing, shortness of breath, the feeling of chest tightness among other symptoms.  A small procedure (thoracentesis) can be done to drain the fluid (if there is enough) and your doctor thinks it might be helpful.  Also, the above mentioned drug is tessalon perles.  Best of luck to you.  Troy

TSchulz
                                                                Participant

So sorry to hear about your troubles.  Many good suggestions above, the only thing I would add, aside from getting into see you doc a little sooner,  is you may want to get another chest X-ray to see if you have collected more fluid in your chest (aka pleural effusion).  An effusion can be very irritating to the lung and cause coughing, shortness of breath, the feeling of chest tightness among other symptoms.  A small procedure (thoracentesis) can be done to drain the fluid (if there is enough) and your doctor thinks it might be helpful.  Also, the above mentioned drug is tessalon perles.  Best of luck to you.  Troy

TSchulz
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics