The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone have experience with anti-seizure drugs?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone have experience with anti-seizure drugs?

Participant
      My husband (stage 4 since Jan. 2011) had a grand mal seizure over the weekend. He has been “fine” for about 6 months and even had a NED scan 3 weeks ago, so the seizure came out of nowhere. The CT at the hospital showed nothing new (he has a large cyst from a huge brain tumor from last October…treated with a craniotomy and gamma knife). He’ll go in Friday for a MRI to. Rule out new growth, but for now he’s on Keppra. Since he started taking it, he’s been like a zombie…completely glassy-eyed, wants to sleep all the time and can barely function.

My husband (stage 4 since Jan. 2011) had a grand mal seizure over the weekend. He has been “fine” for about 6 months and even had a NED scan 3 weeks ago, so the seizure came out of nowhere. The CT at the hospital showed nothing new (he has a large cyst from a huge brain tumor from last October…treated with a craniotomy and gamma knife). He’ll go in Friday for a MRI to. Rule out new growth, but for now he’s on Keppra. Since he started taking it, he’s been like a zombie…completely glassy-eyed, wants to sleep all the time and can barely function. I have a call into the doctor, but am wondering if someone has experience with any type of anti-seizure drug. This is not how he wants to live…we’re both thinking that the risk of another seizure is better than living like this. Any thoughts? They did not find an immediate cause for the seizure.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        MikeWI
        Participant

I take kepra for a seizure during interferon treatment.  I have balance and dizzyness issues.  I can't wait for the interferon treatments to be done(only four left) so i can get off of it.

MikeWI

stage 2c

MikeWI
          Participant

I take kepra for a seizure during interferon treatment.  I have balance and dizzyness issues.  I can't wait for the interferon treatments to be done(only four left) so i can get off of it.

MikeWI

stage 2c

Becky
              Participant

My 27 year old son ( it is my 24 yr old son with melanoma) started having seizures when he was 11. He has been on lots of different meds and combos of meds…the thing about seizures is that it is often trial and error when it comes to what medication i s most effective. Unfortunately, most have side effects..but they seem to get better over time.

He is now on Keppra, along with a couple of other meds. Keppra actually seemed to have less side effects for him than others. I do know that whenever he stops or starts a new medication, the doctors have him do it gradually..increasing the dose every week or 2…so I am wondering if maybe they gave your husband too much too soon.

Hope things improve for him

Becky

Becky
                Participant

My 27 year old son ( it is my 24 yr old son with melanoma) started having seizures when he was 11. He has been on lots of different meds and combos of meds…the thing about seizures is that it is often trial and error when it comes to what medication i s most effective. Unfortunately, most have side effects..but they seem to get better over time.

He is now on Keppra, along with a couple of other meds. Keppra actually seemed to have less side effects for him than others. I do know that whenever he stops or starts a new medication, the doctors have him do it gradually..increasing the dose every week or 2…so I am wondering if maybe they gave your husband too much too soon.

Becky

Becky
                  Participant

Becky

MikeWI
                  Participant

MikeWI

stage 2c

washoegal
                    Participant

My sister has epilepsy and has been on just about every drug there is.  Kepra is a nasty one!  It changed her personalty totally, from a very nice person to periods of a raging maniac.  Worse of all she wasn't even aware of it.  There are so many different drugs he can try, I'd really pursue this further.

Mary,

Stage 3

washoegal
                      Participant

My sister has epilepsy and has been on just about every drug there is.  Kepra is a nasty one!  It changed her personalty totally, from a very nice person to periods of a raging maniac.  Worse of all she wasn't even aware of it.  There are so many different drugs he can try, I'd really pursue this further.

Mary,

Stage 3

washoegal
                        Participant

Mary,

Stage 3

scots
                          Participant
                            I take Kepra. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to for my body to adjust and feel normal again. I have been on Kepra for a little over a year now. I felt just like you described . In a fog. I feel fine now. I take 500mg twice a day.

Scot

scots
                            Participant
                              I take Kepra. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to for my body to adjust and feel normal again. I have been on Kepra for a little over a year now. I felt just like you described . In a fog. I feel fine now. I take 500mg twice a day.

Scot

scots
                              Participant

Scot

jmmm
                                Participant
                                  Thanks for all the info…the nurse called back and said to stay on it until next Tuesday until his appointment., then if the MRI was clear, he might be able to try something else or lower the dose. It’s going to be a long weekend…rain + 3 kids + hubby acting like a zombie..fun times:)
                                  jmmm
                                  Participant
                                    Thanks for all the info…the nurse called back and said to stay on it until next Tuesday until his appointment., then if the MRI was clear, he might be able to try something else or lower the dose. It’s going to be a long weekend…rain + 3 kids + hubby acting like a zombie..fun times:)
                                    jmmm
                                    Participant
                                        jenniferdraper
                                        Participant

Phenytoin is an antiseizure medication (anticonvulsant) used to prevent seizures. It helps control certain types of seizures such as complex partial seizures, grand mal seizures, and seizures that occur during or after brain surgery

jenniferdraper
                                          Participant

Phenytoin is an antiseizure medication (anticonvulsant) used to prevent seizures. It helps control certain types of seizures such as complex partial seizures, grand mal seizures, and seizures that occur during or after brain surgery

jenniferdraper
                                            Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics