The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone had these non-invasive diagnostic techniques used? Laser, dermoscopy

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone had these non-invasive diagnostic techniques used? Laser, dermoscopy

Participant

Anyone familiar with the use of dermoscopy or confocal scanning laser microscopy?  Both are said to be non-invasive.

Have had one lentigo maligna removed on back, big ditch there now.  Another one nearby just like it, said by different derm at teaching medical hospital said to be slow growing, just watch it.

Now I have a spot on forehead, thin skin only over bone.  It itches a little now and then.  Getting very scared.  Don't want another big incision, and don't know how they could do it at this location anyway.

So, looking for experience with these non-invasive methods.  And whether anyone knows of a place in the SE U.S. that does these first, before biopsy.

Thanks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carlos P
        Participant

I would also be interested as I have a tumour on my neck which is not best spot to have one,

Carlos

Carlos P
          Participant

I would also be interested as I have a tumour on my neck which is not best spot to have one,

Carlos

Carlos P
            Participant

Carlos

kalisama
              Participant

Please don't mess around! I do not see how a lesion could be diagnosed without a biopsy. If you are dealing with a reputable physician, any suspicious lesion should be biopsied, especially with your history. Generally a biopsy, does not hurt, screw the scar, we live we get scarred. Compared to the trouble of misdiagnosing melanoma, you could be asking for trouble.

Please please get these lesions properly biopsied and diagnosed.

lou2
                  Participant

Thank you for your reply.  I would still like to hear from anyone who has actually had a doctor use these devices.

lou2
                    Participant

Thank you for your reply.  I would still like to hear from anyone who has actually had a doctor use these devices.

lou2
                      Participant

kalisama
                      Participant

Please don't mess around! I do not see how a lesion could be diagnosed without a biopsy. If you are dealing with a reputable physician, any suspicious lesion should be biopsied, especially with your history. Generally a biopsy, does not hurt, screw the scar, we live we get scarred. Compared to the trouble of misdiagnosing melanoma, you could be asking for trouble.

kalisama
                        Participant

Janner
                          Participant

My doc was part of a study using Aldera (Immiquimod, topical chemo) for LM FIRST, then using MOHs surgery afterwards. LM has a high local recurrence rate and is most often found on the face.  These results are from old notes, I'm sure you can find more up to date if you google, but using Aldera first reduced the size of the lesion by 2/3  and 2/3 of the patience had no recurrence afterwards in a lesion type with high local recurrence rates.  

So at least for the lesion on your forehead, there are other options.  Not non-invasive but definitely less invasive.

lou2
                              Participant

Sounds interesting.  First time I have heard of this.

Would be done after biopsy, though.  Still looking for alternatives to biopsy.

lou2
                                Participant

lou2
                                  Participant

lou2
                                    Participant

Well, good news.  Didn't need any special diagnostic tools.  Derm looked at it and said non-melanoma skin thing.  What a relief.

lou2
                                      Participant

Well, good news.  Didn't need any special diagnostic tools.  Derm looked at it and said non-melanoma skin thing.  What a relief.

lou2
                                        Participant

Janner
                                        Participant

My doc was part of a study using Aldera (Immiquimod, topical chemo) for LM FIRST, then using MOHs surgery afterwards. LM has a high local recurrence rate and is most often found on the face.  These results are from old notes, I'm sure you can find more up to date if you google, but using Aldera first reduced the size of the lesion by 2/3  and 2/3 of the patience had no recurrence afterwards in a lesion type with high local recurrence rates.  

So at least for the lesion on your forehead, there are other options.  Not non-invasive but definitely less invasive.

Janner
                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics