The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone Cisplatin, Vinblastine, Dacarbazine, Interleukin, Interferon?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone Cisplatin, Vinblastine, Dacarbazine, Interleukin, Interferon?

Participant
      I was diagnosed with melanoma almost 2 years ago. It started with mole on back of my head, then spread to lymph nodes in left axilla. In January this year PET/CT scans showed 4 new spots on liver. I’m BRAF negative so Zelboraf was out of question. I started IL2 (HD) at MD Anderson and after 2 cycles found out that tumors keep growing (5cm vs 2.5cm in just 5 weeks). My doctor is now suggesting to go with combo of Cisplatin, Vinblastine, Dacarbazine, Interleukin, Interferon. Ipi is not recommended at this point due to fast progression of disease. Does anyone have experience with this treatment?

I was diagnosed with melanoma almost 2 years ago. It started with mole on back of my head, then spread to lymph nodes in left axilla. In January this year PET/CT scans showed 4 new spots on liver. I’m BRAF negative so Zelboraf was out of question. I started IL2 (HD) at MD Anderson and after 2 cycles found out that tumors keep growing (5cm vs 2.5cm in just 5 weeks). My doctor is now suggesting to go with combo of Cisplatin, Vinblastine, Dacarbazine, Interleukin, Interferon. Ipi is not recommended at this point due to fast progression of disease. Does anyone have experience with this treatment? Any advice?

Vladimir

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          Yes, my husband finished his 6th round of this biochemo treatment at MDAnderson a few weeks ago. The only difference is he got temodar instead of dacarbazine because he had brain mets. All other drugs were the same, he handled treatment pretty well, MDAnderson knows how to minimize side effects while administering biochemo, generally nurses are great and keep you comfortable with various medications. It’s a tough treatment but doable, just make sure someone stays with you in the room during the whole hospital stay. Best wishes to you, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
            vstudeny
            Participant

Hello Valerie, thanks for your reply. It was difficult decision for me and I really appreciate any information I can get, especially the positive. How did your husband respond to the treatment? Did the tumors shrink sizeably? Which side effects did he experience?

All the best to your husband.

Regards,

Vladimir

Phil S
              Participant
                Vladimir, I think biochemo can be effective in slowing down the growth of this cancer, my husband’s melanoma was growing fast when we got to Houston in November. After two rounds of biochemo his scans showed shrinkage of around 50% on most tumors. When he was scanned after round 4, the results were mixed with a few tumors growing slightly and some continuing to shrink, melanoma is such a sneaky beast. Our doctor was still pleased as everything was still smaller than in november, we scan again in a few weeks! We don’t regret we did the biochemo, a true joint effort since I slept in a fold out chair for each week long treatment. We feel biochemo has kept Phil stable, so we can hopefully move forward with another treatment! Please feel free to email us directly, [email protected] if you have additional questions, we are here to support each other! Valerie
                beatricefromPARIS
                Participant

Vlad,

I did Dacarbazine 3 months, then Fotemustine (not used in the US), then briefly Sorafenib then Cisplatin, then Interferon.

This kept me alive for about 2,5 years. Not easy especially Cisplatin, but worth it.

Doctors over here are not great fans of combos.

Betarie stage IV 2009

beatricefromPARIS
                  Participant

Vlad,

I did Dacarbazine 3 months, then Fotemustine (not used in the US), then briefly Sorafenib then Cisplatin, then Interferon.

This kept me alive for about 2,5 years. Not easy especially Cisplatin, but worth it.

Betarie stage IV 2009

beatricefromPARIS
                    Participant

Vlad,

Betarie stage IV 2009

Phil S
                      Participant
                        Vladimir, I think biochemo can be effective in slowing down the growth of this cancer, my husband’s melanoma was growing fast when we got to Houston in November. After two rounds of biochemo his scans showed shrinkage of around 50% on most tumors. When he was scanned after round 4, the results were mixed with a few tumors growing slightly and some continuing to shrink, melanoma is such a sneaky beast. Our doctor was still pleased as everything was still smaller than in november, we scan again in a few weeks! We don’t regret we did the biochemo, a true joint effort since I slept in a fold out chair for each week long treatment. We feel biochemo has kept Phil stable, so we can hopefully move forward with another treatment! Please feel free to email us directly, [email protected] if you have additional questions, we are here to support each other! Valerie
                        Phil S
                        Participant
                          vstudeny
                          Participant

Hello Valerie, thanks for your reply. It was difficult decision for me and I really appreciate any information I can get, especially the positive. How did your husband respond to the treatment? Did the tumors shrink sizeably? Which side effects did he experience?

Regards,

Vladimir

vstudeny
                            Participant

Regards,

Vladimir

Phil S
                            Participant
                              Yes, my husband finished his 6th round of this biochemo treatment at MDAnderson a few weeks ago. The only difference is he got temodar instead of dacarbazine because he had brain mets. All other drugs were the same, he handled treatment pretty well, MDAnderson knows how to minimize side effects while administering biochemo, generally nurses are great and keep you comfortable with various medications. It’s a tough treatment but doable, just make sure someone stays with you in the room during the whole hospital stay. Best wishes to you, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                              Phil S
                              Participant
                            Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics