The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anybody taking Denosumab?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anybody taking Denosumab?

Participant

My dad was recently diagnosed with Stage IV Metastatic Melanoma of the Lungs, Liver, Spine and a few spots on several places in his bone.  He is going in for Radiation tomorrow for the spine.  His oncologist recommends he start on Denosumab next Tuesday to reduce the bone cancer.  I worry that this drug can disqualify him from starting on trials.  Just wondering if anybody has any advice on this?  We would like to get a second opinion at MD Anderson but we have heard it is difficult to get a second opinion over the phone.  Is this true?  Thank yo

My dad was recently diagnosed with Stage IV Metastatic Melanoma of the Lungs, Liver, Spine and a few spots on several places in his bone.  He is going in for Radiation tomorrow for the spine.  His oncologist recommends he start on Denosumab next Tuesday to reduce the bone cancer.  I worry that this drug can disqualify him from starting on trials.  Just wondering if anybody has any advice on this?  We would like to get a second opinion at MD Anderson but we have heard it is difficult to get a second opinion over the phone.  Is this true?  Thank you!!

Deidre

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I've never beed to MDA but others have commented that they don't do second  opinions on the phone. Maybe if your Doctor does the calling they might.

lhaley
          Participant

I've never beed to MDA but others have commented that they don't do second  opinions on the phone. Maybe if your Doctor does the calling they might.

James from Sydney
            Participant

Hi Deidre

this drug appears to be a Monoclonal Antibody which seems to help reduce or arrest bone damage from cancer. Our son was on a drug called Zometa which in a different way also slowed bone damage. He was permitted to use it at the same time as Ipiilimumab, but all Trials are different.

I would definitely get a 2nd opinion as i would be wanting to try a Systemic approach which addresses all the body not just the bones.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
              Participant

Hi Deidre

this drug appears to be a Monoclonal Antibody which seems to help reduce or arrest bone damage from cancer. Our son was on a drug called Zometa which in a different way also slowed bone damage. He was permitted to use it at the same time as Ipiilimumab, but all Trials are different.

I would definitely get a 2nd opinion as i would be wanting to try a Systemic approach which addresses all the body not just the bones.

best wishes

James

LynnLuc
                Participant

ASCO 2010 had this  -sorry about the large type…I guess its a pdf power point.

Denosumab versus ZoledronicAcid for the Treatment of Bone Metastases (3/4)

Results:

•Denosumab significantly delayed the time to first on-study SRE compared with ZA (HR 0.82; 95% CI: 0.71, 0.95; p = 0.008).

•The median time to first on-study SRE was 20.7 mo denosumab vs. 17.1 mo ZA, a difference of 3.6 months.

•Greater suppression of the bone turnover markers uNTx and BSAP occurred in denosumab pts compared with ZA (p < 0.0001 for both).

•Overall, adverse event rates were similar for both arms

•AEs of hypocalcemia were reported in 13% and 6% of denosumab and ZA patients

•ONJ occurred in 22 (2.3%) denosumab pts compared with 12 (1.3%) ZA pts

Denosumabversus ZoledronicAcid for the Treatment of Bone Metastases (4/4)

Conclusions:

•Denosumab demonstrated superiority over ZA in delaying or preventing SREs in patients with bone metastases from CRPC.

•Adverse events were consistent in both treatment groups with those previously reported in advanced cancer populations

http://accc-cancer.org/openweb/presentations/NOEC2010/D'Amato.pdf

LynnLuc
                  Participant

ASCO 2010 had this  -sorry about the large type…I guess its a pdf power point.

Denosumab versus ZoledronicAcid for the Treatment of Bone Metastases (3/4)

Results:

•Denosumab significantly delayed the time to first on-study SRE compared with ZA (HR 0.82; 95% CI: 0.71, 0.95; p = 0.008).

•The median time to first on-study SRE was 20.7 mo denosumab vs. 17.1 mo ZA, a difference of 3.6 months.

•Greater suppression of the bone turnover markers uNTx and BSAP occurred in denosumab pts compared with ZA (p < 0.0001 for both).

•Overall, adverse event rates were similar for both arms

•AEs of hypocalcemia were reported in 13% and 6% of denosumab and ZA patients

•ONJ occurred in 22 (2.3%) denosumab pts compared with 12 (1.3%) ZA pts

Denosumabversus ZoledronicAcid for the Treatment of Bone Metastases (4/4)

Conclusions:

•Denosumab demonstrated superiority over ZA in delaying or preventing SREs in patients with bone metastases from CRPC.

•Adverse events were consistent in both treatment groups with those previously reported in advanced cancer populations

http://accc-cancer.org/openweb/presentations/NOEC2010/D'Amato.pdf

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics