The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

anybody out there have had to have colostomy?

Forums General Melanoma Community anybody out there have had to have colostomy?

Participant

On Sept 10 I had to have surgery because scans showed tumors invading colon and rectum.  Had to get colostomy and all visible tumors removed in pelvic area.  It was a very hard surgery.  Had to be in ICU for 6 days and recieve 2 units of blood.  Two weeks later developed naval orange size infection in pelvic so 8 more days in hospital and I am still draining and on antibiotics.  I had been on ym155 from may through sept.

On Sept 10 I had to have surgery because scans showed tumors invading colon and rectum.  Had to get colostomy and all visible tumors removed in pelvic area.  It was a very hard surgery.  Had to be in ICU for 6 days and recieve 2 units of blood.  Two weeks later developed naval orange size infection in pelvic so 8 more days in hospital and I am still draining and on antibiotics.  I had been on ym155 from may through sept. and failed that trial.  Thank God I had to have scans every 6 weeks because my surgeon told me that I would have been dead within a few weeks had I not had surgery.  Unfortunately he could not get the melanoma out of my liver so the surgery just bought more time.  My oncologist is waiting for me to heal all the way so that I can begin IPI.  My question is, has anybody else had to get a colostomy and how long does it take to feel better.  It has been a very long 6 weeks and I still feel week and tired with a lot of tail bone and pelvic pain.  I know 2 of my tumors there were bigger than 3 inches and I had some colon removed and the cancer had invaided the rectum.  After all of this shit it came down to this…  I went to my daughters football game last friday night (my first true outing since surgery) and my cheer leading, 15 year old daughter came up to me during half time as I was talking to friends and gave me a hug and kiss right in front of everyone.  If that doesn't make it all worth it I don't know what does.  How many 15 year old girls would actually want to be seen with their parents.  I am truly blessed for this extra time I have been given. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Sherron
        Participant

How beautiful that your daughter did this.  I think this is awesome!!!!  I have not information for you, but will add you to my ever growing prayer list.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

vickirs
            Participant

Thank you Sherron,  Through the 6 months that I have been going through this, she had been my biggest supporter.  I am truly blessed.

vickirs
              Participant

Thank you Sherron,  Through the 6 months that I have been going through this, she had been my biggest supporter.  I am truly blessed.

Sherron
              Participant

How beautiful that your daughter did this.  I think this is awesome!!!!  I have not information for you, but will add you to my ever growing prayer list.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics