The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any signs to know Braf/Mek drugs are working?

Forums General Melanoma Community Any signs to know Braf/Mek drugs are working?

Participant
      Hi all,

I posted awhile back about my mom’s diagnosis and treatment. She is now on braf/mek drugs and has been for 2.5 weeks. She seems to be tolerating them well so far, no noticeable side effects. Does this mean they aren’t working? She doesn’t have any tumours under the skin that we could “feel”, however we did notice what looks like a skin metastasis on her scalp. Would the braf/mek drugs somehow make this disappear even if its cutaneous? (that is if they are working). I almost feel more worried because she isn’t getting fevers, or rashes, nausea, etc.

Would love to hear anybody else that has experience with this.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        snoe
        Participant
          My anecdotal opinion is that the Braf/Mek drugs haven’t “felt like they’re working” in the way immunotherapy drugs have, with discomfort/inflammation at the sites of tumors. (That was my experience, anyway.) I was “lucky” to have several palpable tumors, and the targeted therapies did seem to be effective very quickly once I started them.

I have gotten noticeable side effects from the Braf/Mek drugs I’ve taken within the first two weeks, but I don’t think that’s necessarily a gauge of effectiveness?

Now that my palpable tumors are gone, I know how frustrating it is to not know what’s going on inside. 🙁

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics