The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any one coming off Prednisone have any problems?

Forums General Melanoma Community Any one coming off Prednisone have any problems?

Participant

This week I am only taking 5 mg in the morning, and then next week nothing. I am feeling more muscle aches then normal and wondering if this is a side effects of tapering down. We are planning on leaving for 2 weeks after Easter and vacation in the Ozarks and sure don't want any side effects while we are gone, will keep in touch with my Oncologist if I need to. Just wondering how others do on getting off the steriods.

This week I am only taking 5 mg in the morning, and then next week nothing. I am feeling more muscle aches then normal and wondering if this is a side effects of tapering down. We are planning on leaving for 2 weeks after Easter and vacation in the Ozarks and sure don't want any side effects while we are gone, will keep in touch with my Oncologist if I need to. Just wondering how others do on getting off the steriods.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I was not on Prednisone but I was for 5 months on Dex for the brain met and edema.  I've been off for a month and am having all types of issues. Tired, heart racing, and weak muscles.  Now mine was different, I had been loosing muscle mass about 2 months before I was totally off of the Dex. 

The good news for me is I have been doing rehab and have built the muscle mass quite a bit. My biggest issue is my blood pressure.

So I'm assuming that with Prednisone is causing a side effect of the muscle aches that you are dealing with. 

Linda

G111
            Participant
              My wife has been taking prednisone about 9 years and had no side effects mentioned above: increased risk of osteoporosis, thinning skin, bruising easily, increased risk of infections, increased blood sugar levels, and cataracts…By the you can read more about prednisone drug here: https://www.pipelinepharma.com/prednisone-manufacturers

lhaley
            Participant

I was not on Prednisone but I was for 5 months on Dex for the brain met and edema.  I've been off for a month and am having all types of issues. Tired, heart racing, and weak muscles.  Now mine was different, I had been loosing muscle mass about 2 months before I was totally off of the Dex. 

The good news for me is I have been doing rehab and have built the muscle mass quite a bit. My biggest issue is my blood pressure.

So I'm assuming that with Prednisone is causing a side effect of the muscle aches that you are dealing with. 

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

Linda

Theresa123
                Participant

I am tapering off Prednisone (on 15mg x 4 days) now, and I can tell you, mood swings, can't sleep,  aches and pains,  I am sick of prednisone that is for sure. 

Hang in there,

you are normal.

Terri

stage4

yoopergirl
                    Participant

I am sick of the not being able to sleep past 4 am, also have gained about 4 pounds in the 6 weeks that I have been on them, so hungry all the time and that is not normal for me..will be happy when I am completely off. I did help me with the side effects of ipi so I guess I could handle this now. Terri hope you are able to come off soon. 

yoopergirl
                      Participant

I am sick of the not being able to sleep past 4 am, also have gained about 4 pounds in the 6 weeks that I have been on them, so hungry all the time and that is not normal for me..will be happy when I am completely off. I did help me with the side effects of ipi so I guess I could handle this now. Terri hope you are able to come off soon. 

yoopergirl
                        Participant

Theresa123
                        Participant

I am tapering off Prednisone (on 15mg x 4 days) now, and I can tell you, mood swings, can't sleep,  aches and pains,  I am sick of prednisone that is for sure. 

Hang in there,

you are normal.

Terri

stage4

Theresa123
                          Participant

Hang in there,

you are normal.

Terri

stage4

Rocco
                            Participant

Hi Yoopergirl,

Yes I experienced muscle soreness during my taper down off that evil stuff  Prednisone.  I was on a very, very high dosage for quite some time and the taper off was difficult.  My Onc had referred me to an Endocrinologist.  She noted that along with the taper off steroids (an anti-inflamatory), I was also peri-menopausal –  a time when I would loose some of the natural anti-inflamatory capabilities.   The combo of these two issues caused the severe joint/muscle pain – felt like every joint had been hit with a hammer.  Good news – it does go away.  In my case it just took a bit longer because of the long term/high dose I had started with.

Hang in there!

-Rocco

Rocco
                              Participant

Hi Yoopergirl,

Yes I experienced muscle soreness during my taper down off that evil stuff  Prednisone.  I was on a very, very high dosage for quite some time and the taper off was difficult.  My Onc had referred me to an Endocrinologist.  She noted that along with the taper off steroids (an anti-inflamatory), I was also peri-menopausal –  a time when I would loose some of the natural anti-inflamatory capabilities.   The combo of these two issues caused the severe joint/muscle pain – felt like every joint had been hit with a hammer.  Good news – it does go away.  In my case it just took a bit longer because of the long term/high dose I had started with.

Hang in there!

-Rocco

Rocco
                                Participant

Hi Yoopergirl,

Hang in there!

-Rocco

Minnesota
                                  Participant

I've been on and off prednisone and decadron (Dex) for almost 12 years for autoimmune disease.  There's usually a "crash" feeling every time you step down in the dose, and it should get better over a few days. The hardest part is coming off it completely, so if it's ok with your doctor, it would be good to do 5 mg every other day next week too. 

Its more difficult the longer you've been on it. If you can, try to avoid carbohydrates and eat as much protein as you can, as that will help a lot.

Minnesota
                                    Participant

I've been on and off prednisone and decadron (Dex) for almost 12 years for autoimmune disease.  There's usually a "crash" feeling every time you step down in the dose, and it should get better over a few days. The hardest part is coming off it completely, so if it's ok with your doctor, it would be good to do 5 mg every other day next week too. 

Its more difficult the longer you've been on it. If you can, try to avoid carbohydrates and eat as much protein as you can, as that will help a lot.

Minnesota
                                      Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics