The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any experience with seviprotimut-L / pol-103a as adjuvant treatment?

Forums General Melanoma Community Any experience with seviprotimut-L / pol-103a as adjuvant treatment?

Participant

Hi:

Anyone participating in the Polynoma pol-103a trial?  Any info at all on the trial would be appreciated. 

I did search the mpip and saw it mentioned in only about a dozen posts in 4 years. 

Hopefully, you can provide your experience with either considering and / or selecting this clinical trial.

Best regards,

Neil D

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

I would check out Bubbles(celeste) blog, she has written about vaccines in the past. Other than T-vec vaccines have not shown much promise in the past. Best wishes!!! Ed

ed williams
          Participant

I would check out Bubbles(celeste) blog, she has written about vaccines in the past. Other than T-vec vaccines have not shown much promise in the past. Best wishes!!! Ed

ed williams
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Hi Ed and Neil,

Yes, Polynoma did a lot of work (and ratties participated in their trials!!) with that vaccine back in 2012.  Unfortunately, no great results have been reported out of it.  Which is sad.  I am a person who believes in the potential benefits of vaccines for melanoma….sadly, we haven't found the one to knock it out of the park yet.  I particepated in an early nivo/opdivo trial that included peptide vaccines administered every two weeks for 6 months.  They proved to do us not one bit of good!!!  However, here is a report about a different peptide vaccine that did better (it also includes a link to the poor results of the vaccines that I…and my fellow ratties….took):  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/08/positive-response-to-helper-peptide.html

If I were looking to try a vaccine just now….I would be giving the dendritic vaccines a close examination.  I was planning to put this together for the weekend…but since you are asking….  Here you go:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/03/dendritic-cell-vaccines-perhaps-this.html

And as Ed mentioned, T-vec is a treatment I would certainly be looking at if I had injectable tumors.  You can just enter "t-vec" in the search bubble at the top left of my blog if you are interested in that one. 

Hope you're doing well, Ed!!!  I wish you my best, Neil.  Celeste

Bigdaddy5
                  Participant

Thanks to you both!  Really great info. 

Neil D

Boise Steve
                    Participant

Hello Neil,

I am participating in the Polynoma trial.  I was diagnosed 3A in November 2014 – back lesion, > 0.4mm deep, 1 positive/capsulated SLN and all the others were negative.  At the time of my diagnosis the other options were to watch/actively monitor or to start on Interferon.  I decided to watch/actively monitor and look for clinical trial options.  

In ~January 2015, Polynoma initiated a Phase 3B trial.  Phase 3A completed enrollment in 2013 and was setup as a way to optimize the vaccine dose vs Placebo.  Thus in the 3B trial the optimized dosing (40mg) was already understood and the only 2 trial variants were Placebo (33%) vs Vaccine-seviprotimut-L (67%). 

With the above in mind, I would like to share both my personal experience and what I believe may be the greater positive.

My experience (Huntsman Cancer Center) has been quite positive.  The Center has many on-going trails and there are always several other people to converse and share stories.  I have experienced minimal side effects and at this time am not certain if I am on the placebo or active drug.  However I am seeing an increasing red "circle" at the injection sites and am aware that this was a documented side effect in the prior trials.  At the beginning of the trial the 4 sub-q injections were given each month but the periodicity increases over time and I am now at a 4/year rate.  Candidly, the burden and side effects are so minimal it is qute easy to put aside the fact that I am living with Melanoma during the periods between my treatments.

I hope the above helps you with your decision and know that our prayers are always with you.

Lastly, I wanted to share that I truly believe that this vaccine is proving successful.  The subjective data that I receive during my treatment visits suggests that the seviprotimut-L vaccine is showing success in mitigating reoccurence for those patients in similiar staging as myself.  The vaccine is not a cure, but I believe is showing a decreased rate of reoccurence in those patients on the active drug.  I think that this will be validated in 2016 as Polynoma has requested an early review of their trial data by the FDA.

I may very well simply be sharing my wishful thinking but wanted to pass along my experience.  I am now 16 months NED and enjoying life every day.

Bigdaddy5
                      Participant

Fantastic response. Thanks so much for sharing!  I have my appointment with my oncologist Wednesday and will inquire about pol-103a to see if I'm a fit. 

Neil D

Bigdaddy5
                        Participant

Fantastic response. Thanks so much for sharing!  I have my appointment with my oncologist Wednesday and will inquire about pol-103a to see if I'm a fit. 

Neil D

Bigdaddy5
                          Participant

Neil D

Delores T.
                            Participant

Hi Steve – just wondering if you did interferon at all?  We are looking into a trial comparing interferon, Venroy or Keytruda but not sure if taking the immunotherapy drugs helps kill microscopic cells left behind from sugary ? My husband had a primary stage 2b scalp tumor with recent recurrence in neck.  Two of the twelve nodes removed in followup surgery were malignant.  We are trying to evaluate taking either radiation in neck, trying a trial in New Brunswick where we are from or taking the watch and observe approach???  Any advice?

Delores T.
                              Participant

Hi Steve – just wondering if you did interferon at all?  We are looking into a trial comparing interferon, Venroy or Keytruda but not sure if taking the immunotherapy drugs helps kill microscopic cells left behind from sugary ? My husband had a primary stage 2b scalp tumor with recent recurrence in neck.  Two of the twelve nodes removed in followup surgery were malignant.  We are trying to evaluate taking either radiation in neck, trying a trial in New Brunswick where we are from or taking the watch and observe approach???  Any advice?

Delores T.
                                Participant

Boise Steve
                                  Participant

Hello Neil,

I am participating in the Polynoma trial.  I was diagnosed 3A in November 2014 – back lesion, > 0.4mm deep, 1 positive/capsulated SLN and all the others were negative.  At the time of my diagnosis the other options were to watch/actively monitor or to start on Interferon.  I decided to watch/actively monitor and look for clinical trial options.  

In ~January 2015, Polynoma initiated a Phase 3B trial.  Phase 3A completed enrollment in 2013 and was setup as a way to optimize the vaccine dose vs Placebo.  Thus in the 3B trial the optimized dosing (40mg) was already understood and the only 2 trial variants were Placebo (33%) vs Vaccine-seviprotimut-L (67%). 

With the above in mind, I would like to share both my personal experience and what I believe may be the greater positive.

My experience (Huntsman Cancer Center) has been quite positive.  The Center has many on-going trails and there are always several other people to converse and share stories.  I have experienced minimal side effects and at this time am not certain if I am on the placebo or active drug.  However I am seeing an increasing red "circle" at the injection sites and am aware that this was a documented side effect in the prior trials.  At the beginning of the trial the 4 sub-q injections were given each month but the periodicity increases over time and I am now at a 4/year rate.  Candidly, the burden and side effects are so minimal it is qute easy to put aside the fact that I am living with Melanoma during the periods between my treatments.

I hope the above helps you with your decision and know that our prayers are always with you.

Lastly, I wanted to share that I truly believe that this vaccine is proving successful.  The subjective data that I receive during my treatment visits suggests that the seviprotimut-L vaccine is showing success in mitigating reoccurence for those patients in similiar staging as myself.  The vaccine is not a cure, but I believe is showing a decreased rate of reoccurence in those patients on the active drug.  I think that this will be validated in 2016 as Polynoma has requested an early review of their trial data by the FDA.

I may very well simply be sharing my wishful thinking but wanted to pass along my experience.  I am now 16 months NED and enjoying life every day.

Boise Steve
                                    Participant

Hello Neil,

Bigdaddy5
                                      Participant

Neil D

Bigdaddy5
                                        Participant

Neil D

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Hi Ed and Neil,

Yes, Polynoma did a lot of work (and ratties participated in their trials!!) with that vaccine back in 2012.  Unfortunately, no great results have been reported out of it.  Which is sad.  I am a person who believes in the potential benefits of vaccines for melanoma….sadly, we haven't found the one to knock it out of the park yet.  I particepated in an early nivo/opdivo trial that included peptide vaccines administered every two weeks for 6 months.  They proved to do us not one bit of good!!!  However, here is a report about a different peptide vaccine that did better (it also includes a link to the poor results of the vaccines that I…and my fellow ratties….took):  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/08/positive-response-to-helper-peptide.html

If I were looking to try a vaccine just now….I would be giving the dendritic vaccines a close examination.  I was planning to put this together for the weekend…but since you are asking….  Here you go:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/03/dendritic-cell-vaccines-perhaps-this.html

And as Ed mentioned, T-vec is a treatment I would certainly be looking at if I had injectable tumors.  You can just enter "t-vec" in the search bubble at the top left of my blog if you are interested in that one. 

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Hi Ed and Neil,

Bubbles
                                            Participant

That's great to know, Steve!!!  Thanks for sharing.  Perhaps some new polynoma data will be presented at ASCO.  I wish you well and continued health!  Celeste

Bubbles
                                              Participant

That's great to know, Steve!!!  Thanks for sharing.  Perhaps some new polynoma data will be presented at ASCO.  I wish you well and continued health!  Celeste

Bubbles
                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics