The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anxiety and coping

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Anxiety and coping

Participant
      In sept i got sick really bad with a cold. In early oct i was getting headaches and lightheadiness. I went to see a doctor who diagnosed me with viral sinusitis and said it would get better.

I had a pet/ct scan full body in nov that was all clear.

As of a few days ago i was having same symptoms. Went to dr and he gave me a mri of brain cause of cancer history. My brain came back clear (no tumors) and the mri stated thickening of mucous in sinus’s. Ive had a ct scan in july and oct and both said sinus disease seen.

Could this be mucosal melanoma? Or is it just a sinus infection. Im going to see a ent soon. Sorry i have really bad anxiety ever since i was diagnosed. Ive had this since oct 5th 16.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

If you originally had cutaneous melanoma, mel on the skin, then if you were to get mel again it would be the same type. I have never heard of someone getting more than 1 type of melanoma, if it has ever happened it would be incredibly rare. Definitely a sinus infection problem, those can last a while and be quite painful at times. Hope you feel better soon.

jennunicorn
          Participant

If you originally had cutaneous melanoma, mel on the skin, then if you were to get mel again it would be the same type. I have never heard of someone getting more than 1 type of melanoma, if it has ever happened it would be incredibly rare. Definitely a sinus infection problem, those can last a while and be quite painful at times. Hope you feel better soon.

jennunicorn
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

I agree.  I have known of one individual who "reported" a family member had both ocular melanoma and cutaneous melanoma.  (I take everything someone reports on this site with a grain of salt because not everyone truly understands all the nuances of this (and their own) disease).  I've been on this site 15 years now and there have been thousands who have come and gone.   On the other hand, sinus infections can be tricky and you've had all the scans to rule out melanoma.  Go with the most likely explanation first and that is sinus infection. 

Janner
                Participant

I agree.  I have known of one individual who "reported" a family member had both ocular melanoma and cutaneous melanoma.  (I take everything someone reports on this site with a grain of salt because not everyone truly understands all the nuances of this (and their own) disease).  I've been on this site 15 years now and there have been thousands who have come and gone.   On the other hand, sinus infections can be tricky and you've had all the scans to rule out melanoma.  Go with the most likely explanation first and that is sinus infection. 

Janner
                  Participant

gregor913
                    Participant
                      Thank you for the fast replies. Its eased my anxiety a bit. I just have to take one thing at a time. Prayers for everyone fighting the fight.
                      gregor913
                      Participant
                        Thank you for the fast replies. Its eased my anxiety a bit. I just have to take one thing at a time. Prayers for everyone fighting the fight.
                        gregor913
                        Participant
                          ed williams
                          Participant

I get kind of the same side effect every few months and my Oncologist put me on a steroid spray that keeps things under control. Best wishes!!!! Ed

ed williams
                            Participant

I get kind of the same side effect every few months and my Oncologist put me on a steroid spray that keeps things under control. Best wishes!!!! Ed

ed williams
                              Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                Participant

I had sinus inflammation that began after a cold in early August, and lasted until early this month! I was on a round of antibiotics, which did nothing. I finally asked my radiation oncologist if my sinuses could be visualized on my last brain MRI. Sure enough… you could see the sinus inflammation. I have been very diligent with saline rinsing… 4, sometimes 5 times each day… brushing my teeth 3 times each day… and sleeping with a "Breath Right" strip. I was put on 500 mg of Sulfasalazine twice daily, for joint swelling (a side effect of the Keytruda)…. It seems to have helped my sinus as well. Odd. A friend of mine sent me an article recently, regarding a study of Rhuematoid Arthritis patients and sinus swelling. It seems they quite often go hand in hand. Investigators are trying to find out why. Do you have any other joint pains? Fingers? Knee? Elbow? Anything?

cancersnewnormal
                                  Participant

I had sinus inflammation that began after a cold in early August, and lasted until early this month! I was on a round of antibiotics, which did nothing. I finally asked my radiation oncologist if my sinuses could be visualized on my last brain MRI. Sure enough… you could see the sinus inflammation. I have been very diligent with saline rinsing… 4, sometimes 5 times each day… brushing my teeth 3 times each day… and sleeping with a "Breath Right" strip. I was put on 500 mg of Sulfasalazine twice daily, for joint swelling (a side effect of the Keytruda)…. It seems to have helped my sinus as well. Odd. A friend of mine sent me an article recently, regarding a study of Rhuematoid Arthritis patients and sinus swelling. It seems they quite often go hand in hand. Investigators are trying to find out why. Do you have any other joint pains? Fingers? Knee? Elbow? Anything?

cancersnewnormal
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics