The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

antiPD1, TIL or something else ?

Forums General Melanoma Community antiPD1, TIL or something else ?

Participant

Hi,

I know that my question is probably impossible to answer, I know what's melanoma like, that every single patient reacts differently, so I am rather looking for advice and tips that could be useful for our decision.
      Long story short, my father was diagnosed in November last year, when he had two operations. After that, he had no therapy and by the end of January, mets spread to the whole body(it happened really quickly, in two weeks maybe). All that happend, because doctors promised him to enter clinical trial, but delayed the process, apparently on purpose, until mets appeared, so he became uneligible for the trial – which eventualy made us buy Zelboraf on our own, as we live in freaking Serbia, where advanced melanoma is not treated at all, except using chemo, which is ridiculous in my humble opinion.
      Now, after 5 months of Zelboraf therapy (which was btw really efficient, he responded better than average), tumor markers are rising again from day to day, and I think we will need a new option very soon. We heard about TIL in Manchester, it's cheaper than in usa and Israel, so we might get money for that, and are considering that option. Second option is to start buying Keytruda, we would be able to collect funds for 6-7-8 months maybe. Tricky part is that, whatever we choose, it would leave us with no money, in deep debts, and without chance for further actions, so this seems like a really hard decision. There is third option, as we could get antiPD1 for frer here if my father goes through Ipilimumab treatment first, but it is really hard to find trials for ipi, and it is way to expensive for us to buy it.

In the end, just to add that we also considered going to Israel, Tel Aviv, to Ella Clinics on Sheba Medical Center (dr. Schachter), because we heard that they are really good in Melanoma treatment, but are unsure of therapy prices there. I know that TIL there is around $200,000 and that is out our league, and cost of one doctors examination is around $5000, which is also a lot. However, I have heard that they are willing to find clinical trials for their patients, and that you can go there every 3-4 weeks and pay just for examinations/consultations, but I don't know if it is true.

If anyone has any advice on what to do or not to to, what to take into consideration, it would mean a lot to us.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ljohnston
        Keymaster
          I can see the frustration with what you and your family have been dealing with the past few months.  Thank you for reaching out to CURE OM and our ocular melanoma program.  The Melanoma Research Foundation has a great wealth of knowledge and resources, that may be able to help you with these difficult decisions.  Here is the link to our main Patient Information Page, which also has another forum for melanoma patients that might be of great use.  https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page.  I want to also post a link to our resource page which I hope will assist with looking into different treatments, treatment centers, and other options. https://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/melanoma-treatment
          In addition, Melanoma Research Foundation has a buddy program that allows individuals to be connected to others who have been through similar treatments, etc, to be a support system.  http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/phone-buddy
          Phone Buddy | Melanoma Research Foundation
          The MRF’s Phone Buddy Program offers a supportive lifeline for people newly diagnosed with melanoma.

If you need any further assistance, please know that we are here and ready to support you.

Jessica666
            Participant

Can you give me more resource about this, I am still confused about it.

Jessica666
              Participant

Jessica666
                Participant

debbieevans
                  Participant

Your resource is much enough for me. Thanks a lot!

debbieevans
                    Participant

debbieevans
                      Participant

ljohnston
                      Keymaster
                        I can see the frustration with what you and your family have been dealing with the past few months.  Thank you for reaching out to CURE OM and our ocular melanoma program.  The Melanoma Research Foundation has a great wealth of knowledge and resources, that may be able to help you with these difficult decisions.  Here is the link to our main Patient Information Page, which also has another forum for melanoma patients that might be of great use.  https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page.  I want to also post a link to our resource page which I hope will assist with looking into different treatments, treatment centers, and other options. https://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/melanoma-treatment
                        In addition, Melanoma Research Foundation has a buddy program that allows individuals to be connected to others who have been through similar treatments, etc, to be a support system.  http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/phone-buddy
                        The MRF’s Phone Buddy Program offers a supportive lifeline for people newly diagnosed with melanoma.

If you need any further assistance, please know that we are here and ready to support you.

ljohnston
                        Keymaster

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics