The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

antiPD-1 scan results

Forums General Melanoma Community antiPD-1 scan results

Participant

So my 12 week scans after starting antiPD-1 were okay.  Only 9% tumor growth.  Some tumors had shrunk, some had grown.  One subcentimeter met had disappeared.  Unfortunately, much of the growth is in an axillary tumor that is starting to give me trouble (the back of my arm is numb, I get a shooting nerve pain with certain movements, and my inner arm is feeling bruised).  It looks like we will have to take care of it sooner than later, and of course we can't radiate or surgically remove it while I'm on the trial.  I am continuing on the trial till it has

So my 12 week scans after starting antiPD-1 were okay.  Only 9% tumor growth.  Some tumors had shrunk, some had grown.  One subcentimeter met had disappeared.  Unfortunately, much of the growth is in an axillary tumor that is starting to give me trouble (the back of my arm is numb, I get a shooting nerve pain with certain movements, and my inner arm is feeling bruised).  It looks like we will have to take care of it sooner than later, and of course we can't radiate or surgically remove it while I'm on the trial.  I am continuing on the trial till it has to be dealt with (the Dr. says he has seen 2 people have 'late' responses to the drug, which would be a fun group to join).

So.  I am weighing my options.  One of those is a TIL trial.  So far NIH won't take me for any of theirs, as I have a history of 25 brain mets.  Picky people. 🙂  I actually qualify for one at Moffitt that combines the ACT procedure with a BRAF inhibitor.  I would prefer not to go the BRAF route just yet (I am not anti-BRAF inhibitors, I just feel my immune system has more to give).  I am waiting for a response from Fred Hutchinson and MDAnderson who are recruiting for their TIL trials.  Any where else I should be looking into for that?

I am not entirely sure that I want to do that next, but I'd like to know if it is an option.  I certainly would love to do it some time.  I am just wondering if I tried IPI again, would it produce great results again?  Especially because I have antiPD-1 in my system now?  Hmmm…. 

I wondered if anyone has responded to immune therapies after taking the BRAF inhibitors.  Or have you heard of people responding?  The doctor says yes it happens, but I would love to see some examples.

Thank you for any information/ideas.  Thank you for your good examples of how to gracefully navigate this disease (and beat it altogether!).

Ali

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Replies
        benp
        Participant

Hi Ali, 

I have had a good partial response to two immunotherapies (TIL, and currently PD-1) after taking Dabrafenib. I had good shrinkage with BRAF, though eventual progression which is the norm. I have read some opinions where they think BRAF before immunotherapy might be the best option, as it can rapidly debulk the disease if large tumors exist.

All the best, 

Ben.

benp
          Participant

Hi Ali, 

I have had a good partial response to two immunotherapies (TIL, and currently PD-1) after taking Dabrafenib. I had good shrinkage with BRAF, though eventual progression which is the norm. I have read some opinions where they think BRAF before immunotherapy might be the best option, as it can rapidly debulk the disease if large tumors exist.

All the best, 

Ben.

benp
            Participant

Hi Ali, 

All the best, 

Ben.

Ali
              Participant

Thank you Ben!  Very encouraging.  Glad you have had many stories of success. 

Ali

Phil S
                Participant
                  Ali, Good to see your post, and that you are getting some response to AntiPD1. I also totally understand you wanting to have options lined up for the future, you have put together a very strategic battle so far. I know you have saved BRAF and now MEK inhibitors are available to help, so that’s a good option for your arm tumor. I think TIL and BRAF is an interesting trial too. And, I think you would probably have a good second response to Ipi, since it helped the first time you took it and since your immune system is now primed with AntiPD1. We were on the floor of MDAnderson for many inpatient stays in 2012, and know people who did BRAF, then did immuno therapies with success. I know one person who did BRAF, then TIL, then went back on BRAF, then went on AntiPD1 trial and is doing well. I know another who did BRAF, then Yervoy/Ipi and is now stable. As you know, every story is different, but I think you have many viable options! My husband, Phil is BRAF negative, so we have fewer options, but he is still standing strong and stable, almost 16 months after TIL in Houston. All the best to you in your decision making, and continued fight! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                  Phil S
                  Participant
                    Ali, Good to see your post, and that you are getting some response to AntiPD1. I also totally understand you wanting to have options lined up for the future, you have put together a very strategic battle so far. I know you have saved BRAF and now MEK inhibitors are available to help, so that’s a good option for your arm tumor. I think TIL and BRAF is an interesting trial too. And, I think you would probably have a good second response to Ipi, since it helped the first time you took it and since your immune system is now primed with AntiPD1. We were on the floor of MDAnderson for many inpatient stays in 2012, and know people who did BRAF, then did immuno therapies with success. I know one person who did BRAF, then TIL, then went back on BRAF, then went on AntiPD1 trial and is doing well. I know another who did BRAF, then Yervoy/Ipi and is now stable. As you know, every story is different, but I think you have many viable options! My husband, Phil is BRAF negative, so we have fewer options, but he is still standing strong and stable, almost 16 months after TIL in Houston. All the best to you in your decision making, and continued fight! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                    Phil S
                    Participant
                      Ali
                      Participant

Awesome Valerie!  Those are great examples.  I really appreciate you sharing them.  I think about you and Phil every time I think about TIL, I for sure want to try it.  16 months is awesome, hope it last forever!!!

Ali

G-Samsa
                        Participant
                          Not sure I have too much to offer here because trials differ widely–but during my Ipi/anti-pd1 treatments some trouble I had with some bone mets was addressed with some precision radiation treatments. My Drs checked with the drug co. and got a green light on the additional procedure. I continue to get the immunotherapy –and the radiation has done a fairly good job of addressing the bone met issue. The Drs. also indicated that the radiation may have additional benefits, since it is suspected of helping to boost the effectiveness of the systemic immunotherapy treatment. Also, in discussing future strategies with my Drs. at MSKCC, they appear to hold a strong belief that reintroduction of Ipi in patients who have responded favorably will likely generate a renewed positive response. Hope this is useful.

G-Samsa
                          Participant
                            Not sure I have too much to offer here because trials differ widely–but during my Ipi/anti-pd1 treatments some trouble I had with some bone mets was addressed with some precision radiation treatments. My Drs checked with the drug co. and got a green light on the additional procedure. I continue to get the immunotherapy –and the radiation has done a fairly good job of addressing the bone met issue. The Drs. also indicated that the radiation may have additional benefits, since it is suspected of helping to boost the effectiveness of the systemic immunotherapy treatment. Also, in discussing future strategies with my Drs. at MSKCC, they appear to hold a strong belief that reintroduction of Ipi in patients who have responded favorably will likely generate a renewed positive response. Hope this is useful.

Ali
                              Participant

Ali

Ali
                                Participant

Ali

G-Samsa
                                Participant

Ali
                                  Participant

Thank  you!  I asked if I could do radiation during the trial, but it was a no.  If only the drug were approved!  I am hoping that the reintroduction will do what it did last time, I am glad your doctors have seen that happen.  Thanks again for sharing!

Ali

Ali
                                      Participant

Awesome Valerie!  Those are great examples.  I really appreciate you sharing them.  I think about you and Phil every time I think about TIL, I for sure want to try it.  16 months is awesome, hope it last forever!!!

Ali

Ali
                                        Participant

Ali

killmel
                                        Participant

Hi,

I am also on a PD1 trial. My last scans showed a tiny met in my brain. I woud liketo stay on the trial but I never knew that a drug company would let patients radiate tumors while on a trial.

Which PD1 trial and drug company gaveyou permission to radiate your met?

Thanks for taking the time to repy to my question. Continued success on the trial.

Andrew

G-Samsa
                                          Participant
                                            I am in the BMS trial for the combined Ipi/Nivolumab. This was a small trial (52 patients) at MSKCC –I think it started in 2012.
                                            killmel
                                            Participant

Thanks G-Samsa,

So am I understanding you correctly, BMS let you radiate the met and then continue on with the trial?

This is such good news. Has anyone else been on a drug and had a met radiated yet was able to stay on the trial??

If I get enough people that have had a met radiated yet was able to stay on the trial,I will ask my doctor about asking Merck for ppermission to radiate my tiny brain met.

Thanks,

Andrew

G-Samsa
                                              Participant
                                                Andrew–note that the radiation was applied to my leg and pelvis, and that brain mets were disqualifying for the original trial…
                                                  Ali
                                                  Participant

Thank  you!  I asked if I could do radiation during the trial, but it was a no.  If only the drug were approved!  I am hoping that the reintroduction will do what it did last time, I am glad your doctors have seen that happen.  Thanks again for sharing!

Ali

Ali
                                                    Participant

Ali

killmel
                                                      Participant

Hi,

I am also on a PD1 trial. My last scans showed a tiny met in my brain. I woud liketo stay on the trial but I never knew that a drug company would let patients radiate tumors while on a trial.

Thanks for taking the time to repy to my question. Continued success on the trial.

Andrew

killmel
                                                        Participant

Hi,

Andrew

aldakota22
                                                        Participant

In my prayers that you get the plan that is right on in your fight.Looks like you will have some options to choose from.All the best .Beat the beast .  Al

aldakota22
                                                          Participant

In my prayers that you get the plan that is right on in your fight.Looks like you will have some options to choose from.All the best .Beat the beast .  Al

aldakota22
                                                            Participant

BrianP
                                                              Participant

Ali,

You may be interested in checking out this ADC trial.  One patient has been posting his experience here:

http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34242 

It sounds very promising.  I don't think they have as stringent requirements on brain mets that some of the PD-1 trials have but don't quote me on that.

Good luck,

Brian

BrianP
                                                                Participant

Ali,

You may be interested in checking out this ADC trial.  One patient has been posting his experience here:

It sounds very promising.  I don't think they have as stringent requirements on brain mets that some of the PD-1 trials have but don't quote me on that.

Good luck,

Brian

BrianP
                                                                  Participant

Ali,

Good luck,

Brian

G-Samsa
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      I am in the BMS trial for the combined Ipi/Nivolumab. This was a small trial (52 patients) at MSKCC –I think it started in 2012.
                                                                      G-Samsa
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        killmel
                                                                        Participant

Thanks G-Samsa,

So am I understanding you correctly, BMS let you radiate the met and then continue on with the trial?

This is such good news. Has anyone else been on a drug and had a met radiated yet was able to stay on the trial??

If I get enough people that have had a met radiated yet was able to stay on the trial,I will ask my doctor about asking Merck for ppermission to radiate my tiny brain met.

Thanks,

Andrew

killmel
                                                                          Participant

Thanks G-Samsa,

Thanks,

Andrew

G-Samsa
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Andrew–note that the radiation was applied to my leg and pelvis, and that brain mets were disqualifying for the original trial…
                                                                              G-Samsa
                                                                              Participant
                                                                            Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics