The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Antineoplastons – Burzynski Clinic

Forums General Melanoma Community Antineoplastons – Burzynski Clinic

Participant

I am of a mind that alternative treatments as varied as coffee enemas, high dose Vitamin C, turkey trot mushrooms, clinics in Mexico are bunk and a way of nefarious people preying on the fears of people with serious diseases with the objective of extracting their money. 

I am of a mind that alternative treatments as varied as coffee enemas, high dose Vitamin C, turkey trot mushrooms, clinics in Mexico are bunk and a way of nefarious people preying on the fears of people with serious diseases with the objective of extracting their money. 

My wife has very advanced melanoma – at this point it is at  the deadly disease stage with the dying part not that far off. Conventional therapies have failed, as have the new wonder drugs (Yervoy). She could go through a few more very tough chemo/biological regimens, but the evidence on their success is miniscule – naybe eke out a few more months but at a hihgly copromised quality of life. Especially if she has to treat more brain mets and lose more brain function.

So her therapist suggested she look at this alternative treatment – indicated in the subject line. I haven't found anything on this board that has looked at him or his theory and found compelling evidence to stay away, as I have had with researching  other suggestions from well meaning friends.

Anyone know about this, and care to offer facts or an informed opinion based on their research? I am not interested (for the sake of all of us) in rekindling the entire alternative medical approach debate. I am just interested in this one approach and this one clinic and if anyone knows of anyplace or information nexus where I can find anything about them which has a shred of evidenced based outcomes.

thanks, Nick

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Replies
        fgilbert63
        Participant

Have you looked into NeoPlas

http://www.neoplas.org/ 

nickmac56
            Participant

Although I think they are bunk and just trying to make money, my wife wouldn't qualify anyway becuase they exclude you if you've had cerebral metastases, which she has had.

fgilbert63
              Participant

Nick,

You did not read far enough, here is a cut and paste;

Non-qualifying patients

Patients who do not meet the criteria above may be considered for compassionate treatment with the same regimen if they are experiencing disease progression with a poor prognosis after completing indicated therapies. If so requested by a patient, this determination will be made on a case-by-case basis. 

fgilbert63
                Participant

Nick,

You did not read far enough, here is a cut and paste;

Non-qualifying patients

Patients who do not meet the criteria above may be considered for compassionate treatment with the same regimen if they are experiencing disease progression with a poor prognosis after completing indicated therapies. If so requested by a patient, this determination will be made on a case-by-case basis. 

nickmac56
                  Participant

You are right I did not read that far. But here is what they are really saying when the have that compassionate use clause: "we typically exclude people with brain metastases because we know our stuff doesn't work on them. But if you are desperate enough, we will take your money, and give you the treatment. If it doesn't work we can say, well, we told you we excluded brain metastases patients and we only did it at their request". 

nickmac56
                    Participant

You are right I did not read that far. But here is what they are really saying when the have that compassionate use clause: "we typically exclude people with brain metastases because we know our stuff doesn't work on them. But if you are desperate enough, we will take your money, and give you the treatment. If it doesn't work we can say, well, we told you we excluded brain metastases patients and we only did it at their request". 

nickmac56
                      Participant

Although I think they are bunk and just trying to make money, my wife wouldn't qualify anyway becuase they exclude you if you've had cerebral metastases, which she has had.

fgilbert63
                      Participant

Have you looked into NeoPlas

http://www.neoplas.org/ 

LynnLuc
                        Participant

I would worry  if the place doesn't take insurance….that speaks volumes!

LynnLuc
                          Participant

I would worry  if the place doesn't take insurance….that speaks volumes!

LynnLuc
                            Participant

I did look that up!

I am not into all that stuff as treatment HOWEVER…I am doing the anti pd 1 trial at Moffitt and rec'd 6 injections of peptides every other week in a thigh….something to it…i remain NED but no longer receiving peptides and receiving anti pd 1 iv's every 3 months.

How do Antineoplastons work?

Antineoplastons act as molecular switches, which turn off life processes in abnormal cells and force them to die through apoptosis (programmed death of a cell). While they trigger the death of cancer cells, they do not inhibit normal cell growth. They specifically target cancer cells without harming healthy cells.

It is generally known that the cancerous process results from increased activity of oncogenes and decreased expression of tumor suppressor genes. Antineoplastons "turn on" tumor suppressor genes and "turn off" oncogenes restoring the proper balance in gene expression.

LynnLuc
                                Participant

to clarify  I am still receiving the anti pd 1    and I am no longer receiving the peptides…

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

to clarify  I am still receiving the anti pd 1    and I am no longer receiving the peptides…

nickmac56
                                    Participant

as I indicated in another post, Jeff Weber said we can't do that trial because of seizure risk. I would recommend she do a trial using this substance if it was under the auspices of a nonprofit institution like Moffitt.

LynnLuc
                                      Participant

I was just saying the  Antinroplastons that Burzynski  may be beneficial…

LynnLuc
                                        Participant

I was just saying the  Antinroplastons that Burzynski  may be beneficial…

nickmac56
                                          Participant

as I indicated in another post, Jeff Weber said we can't do that trial because of seizure risk. I would recommend she do a trial using this substance if it was under the auspices of a nonprofit institution like Moffitt.

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

I did look that up!

I am not into all that stuff as treatment HOWEVER…I am doing the anti pd 1 trial at Moffitt and rec'd 6 injections of peptides every other week in a thigh….something to it…i remain NED but no longer receiving peptides and receiving anti pd 1 iv's every 3 months.

How do Antineoplastons work?

Antineoplastons act as molecular switches, which turn off life processes in abnormal cells and force them to die through apoptosis (programmed death of a cell). While they trigger the death of cancer cells, they do not inhibit normal cell growth. They specifically target cancer cells without harming healthy cells.

It is generally known that the cancerous process results from increased activity of oncogenes and decreased expression of tumor suppressor genes. Antineoplastons "turn on" tumor suppressor genes and "turn off" oncogenes restoring the proper balance in gene expression.

Gene_S
                                            Participant

Nick,

Do a search on  "Ralph Moss and melanoma". 

He travels around the world visiting alternate treatment clinics

in order to help people decide where to go to be treated for many types of cancers.

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                              Participant

Nick,

Do a search on  "Ralph Moss and melanoma". 

He travels around the world visiting alternate treatment clinics

in order to help people decide where to go to be treated for many types of cancers.

Best wishes,

Gene

jag
                                                Participant
                                                  The best site to investigate alternative thearpies is http://www.quackwatch.com
                                                  jag
                                                  Participant
                                                    The best site to investigate alternative thearpies is http://www.quackwatch.com
                                                    ces9991
                                                    Participant

Nick,

Did you guys go along with any alternative treatments? My father has metastatic melanoma, and is too weak right now to recieve Yervoy. 

ces9991
                                                      Participant

Nick,

Did you guys go along with any alternative treatments? My father has metastatic melanoma, and is too weak right now to recieve Yervoy. 

ces9991
                                                        Participant

Nick,

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics