The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anti-pd1 drugs – is one better than the other?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anti-pd1 drugs – is one better than the other?

Participant

Dave goes tomorrow for his scan results.  He has been doing the low dose Temodar since November.  We are obviously hoping that it continues to keep him stable, but his onc did say if there wasn't signifcant reduction in tumors, he wanted to switch him to the MDX-1105 (I believe it is now listed as BMS936559)  trial at Roswell.  I haven't heard much feedback on this particular trial, and after Candi's post on Mercks drug, I'm wondering if there is a clear leader in the anti-pd1 race.  Any feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Dave goes tomorrow for his scan results.  He has been doing the low dose Temodar since November.  We are obviously hoping that it continues to keep him stable, but his onc did say if there wasn't signifcant reduction in tumors, he wanted to switch him to the MDX-1105 (I believe it is now listed as BMS936559)  trial at Roswell.  I haven't heard much feedback on this particular trial, and after Candi's post on Mercks drug, I'm wondering if there is a clear leader in the anti-pd1 race.  Any feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Best to all of you,

Maria

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

I am on MDX 1106 (BMS-936558),,,,,I have been on it for 74 weeks and I remain NED. My friend is on it as well and started around Dec 2011…She continues to have shrinking and vanishing melanoma  which she had several. This anti pd 1 is the original and has been used in many trials for other cancers as well. Merck has a new one and while it appears to be doing great for some people—it hasn't been out for long enough to determine how great it will be….It will depend on the person and not the drug….it might work for one and may not work for another….!

cltml
            Participant

That raises an interesting question.  I wonder if, in the future, several of these companies have their anti-PD1 or PDL. drugs approved, an oncologist would try each one on their patient trying to find which one might work. 

cltml

cltml
              Participant

That raises an interesting question.  I wonder if, in the future, several of these companies have their anti-PD1 or PDL. drugs approved, an oncologist would try each one on their patient trying to find which one might work. 

cltml

cltml
                Participant

cltml

MeNDave
                  Participant

Hi Lynn 🙂

I wonder what the difference is between the 1105 and 1106 – and also, did you have to be HLA positive for vaccine part?  And which vaccine did they use?  I wish we could get study results prior to enlisting – it would make the decision easier.

LynnLuc
                    Participant

You know until I read your post I never heard of MDX 1105 and then I google and it's there…lol I will find out the mechanics of it before the day is over…I just know I believe from what I have experienced and knowing those with active melanoma on the sister trial of mine ( same treatment) it works!!!) Yes I had to have HLA-A*0201-positive along with 1 of the following: HMB 45 for gp 100, NY-ESO-1, and/or MART-1 for the peptides. I had them all except NY-ESO-1.

There is a trial arm in the sister trial that does not require neither the HLA type.  But you must have some  unresected melanoma

Phase I Pilot Study of Peptide Vaccine Comprising gp100:209-217(210M), MART-1:26-35(27L), gp100:280-288(288V), and NY-ESO-1 Emulsified in Montanide ISA 51 VG and Anti-PD-1 Human Monoclonal Antibody MDX-1106 in Patients With Unresectable Stage III or IV Melanoma  http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view?cdrid=682171&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=10258344

It also allows for prior use of IPI  (failed)  (patients in cohort 6 will not be HLA restricted). 

LynnLuc
                      Participant

You know until I read your post I never heard of MDX 1105 and then I google and it's there…lol I will find out the mechanics of it before the day is over…I just know I believe from what I have experienced and knowing those with active melanoma on the sister trial of mine ( same treatment) it works!!!) Yes I had to have HLA-A*0201-positive along with 1 of the following: HMB 45 for gp 100, NY-ESO-1, and/or MART-1 for the peptides. I had them all except NY-ESO-1.

There is a trial arm in the sister trial that does not require neither the HLA type.  But you must have some  unresected melanoma

Phase I Pilot Study of Peptide Vaccine Comprising gp100:209-217(210M), MART-1:26-35(27L), gp100:280-288(288V), and NY-ESO-1 Emulsified in Montanide ISA 51 VG and Anti-PD-1 Human Monoclonal Antibody MDX-1106 in Patients With Unresectable Stage III or IV Melanoma  http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view?cdrid=682171&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=10258344

It also allows for prior use of IPI  (failed)  (patients in cohort 6 will not be HLA restricted). 

LynnLuc
                        Participant

MeNDave
                          Participant

Hi Lynn 🙂

I wonder what the difference is between the 1105 and 1106 – and also, did you have to be HLA positive for vaccine part?  And which vaccine did they use?  I wish we could get study results prior to enlisting – it would make the decision easier.

MeNDave
                            Participant

Hi Lynn 🙂

LynnLuc
                            Participant

I am on MDX 1106 (BMS-936558),,,,,I have been on it for 74 weeks and I remain NED. My friend is on it as well and started around Dec 2011…She continues to have shrinking and vanishing melanoma  which she had several. This anti pd 1 is the original and has been used in many trials for other cancers as well. Merck has a new one and while it appears to be doing great for some people—it hasn't been out for long enough to determine how great it will be….It will depend on the person and not the drug….it might work for one and may not work for another….!

LynnLuc
                              Participant

cltml
                                Participant

Maria,

I was considering a similar post.  Thanks for putting this out there.

I am on IPI right now but was also considering anti-PD1 before I made the choice to go IPI.  I am in Michigan, and am in touch with the Phase1 people at Karmanos CC where they have the AMP-224 anti-PDL trial.  When I was making my decision, I pressed them for any preliminary findings but they could not give me any information at that time.  That was five weeks ago.   They are finishing up the last dosing cohort and have started an expansion cohort (whatever that is).

So , there are no results for Amplimmune's trial yet.  At least not as of five weeks ago.

BTW, Amplimmune has tightened their inclusion criteria in a few ways for former IPI patients.  They are now requiring a six week washout, and they want a sygmoidoscopy for those patients who had diarrhea during IPI.

cltml

cltml
                                  Participant

Maria,

I am on IPI right now but was also considering anti-PD1 before I made the choice to go IPI.  I am in Michigan, and am in touch with the Phase1 people at Karmanos CC where they have the AMP-224 anti-PDL trial.  When I was making my decision, I pressed them for any preliminary findings but they could not give me any information at that time.  That was five weeks ago.   They are finishing up the last dosing cohort and have started an expansion cohort (whatever that is).

So , there are no results for Amplimmune's trial yet.  At least not as of five weeks ago.

BTW, Amplimmune has tightened their inclusion criteria in a few ways for former IPI patients.  They are now requiring a six week washout, and they want a sygmoidoscopy for those patients who had diarrhea during IPI.

cltml

cltml
                                    Participant

Maria,

cltml

LynnLuc
                                      Participant

I have been on MDX 1106 (BMS-936558),,,,,I have been on it for 74 weeks and I remain NED. My friend is on it as well and started around Dec 2011…She continues to have shrinking and vanishing melanoma mets throughout her body ( lungs, around tummy, under arm etc)  which she had several. This anti pd 1 is the original and has been used in many trials for other cancers as well. Merck has a new one and while it appears to be doing great for some people—it has'tt been out for long enough to determine how great it will be….It will depend on the person and not the drug….it might work for one and may not work for another…

LynnLuc
                                        Participant

I have been on MDX 1106 (BMS-936558),,,,,I have been on it for 74 weeks and I remain NED. My friend is on it as well and started around Dec 2011…She continues to have shrinking and vanishing melanoma mets throughout her body ( lungs, around tummy, under arm etc)  which she had several. This anti pd 1 is the original and has been used in many trials for other cancers as well. Merck has a new one and while it appears to be doing great for some people—it has'tt been out for long enough to determine how great it will be….It will depend on the person and not the drug….it might work for one and may not work for another…

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

killmel
                                            Participant

Maria,

As mentioned in this post, it is NOT that the drug of  one manufacturer is better than an other. The success of the drug to kill mel depends on the patients own immune system. 

The side effects of PD1 drugs are suppose to be less severe than IPI. I suggest that you consider a PD1 trial over IPI.

However, once you are in a PD1 trial, and if Dave is NOT a responder, he will NOT be able to switch over to another PD1 trial.  More than likely, there will be an exclusion for those who have already taken a PD1 drug.

Good luck with your decision and with Dave'sscans. Please post how Dave did with his scan. We are all sending positive thoughts to you both.

Mary

killmel
                                              Participant

Maria,

As mentioned in this post, it is NOT that the drug of  one manufacturer is better than an other. The success of the drug to kill mel depends on the patients own immune system. 

The side effects of PD1 drugs are suppose to be less severe than IPI. I suggest that you consider a PD1 trial over IPI.

However, once you are in a PD1 trial, and if Dave is NOT a responder, he will NOT be able to switch over to another PD1 trial.  More than likely, there will be an exclusion for those who have already taken a PD1 drug.

Good luck with your decision and with Dave'sscans. Please post how Dave did with his scan. We are all sending positive thoughts to you both.

Mary

LynnLuc
                                                  Participant

However if he does IPI first -then he can do a anti-PD-1 trial…it’s a complicated maze…if you do one thing…it could exclude you from another…ugh

LynnLuc
                                                    Participant

However if he does IPI first -then he can do a anti-PD-1 trial…it’s a complicated maze…if you do one thing…it could exclude you from another…ugh

killmel
                                                      Participant

Lynn,

Congratualtions on your NED status. What side effects have you had on this trial?

J

killmel
                                                        Participant

Lynn,

Congratualtions on your NED status. What side effects have you had on this trial?

J

killmel
                                                          Participant

Lynn,

J

LynnLuc
                                                            Participant

a few times in the beginning right after the infusion of anti PD 1 I noticed my knuckles ached for a few minutes….my bicept ached ( right above the infusion area)  the morning after a few times….some small spots of rash on my fingers.. I didn't have the energy I had before…but that was due to my thyroid conking out…while the throid issue was the most serious…it is not an issue because I take synthroid….most thyroids start to conk out as we get older anyhow…so mine came earlier!! I had more rash during the booster phase on the palms of my hands and feet but it has cleared. The biggest side effect is that I remain NED!!! This trial is a walk in the park. After the first two 12 week cycles ( I went in every other week and got 6 injections of peptides in my thighs ( now that hurt!) along with infusion of MDX 1106)  I am now in the booster phase in which I go get only MDX 1106 every 3 months along with blood work, scans and my onc appointment for check up.   I have to update it but pictures and stuff are on my www site   http://www.gentlewinds.org   I am an org of one since  dot com and dot net were taken!

LynnLuc
                                                              Participant

a few times in the beginning right after the infusion of anti PD 1 I noticed my knuckles ached for a few minutes….my bicept ached ( right above the infusion area)  the morning after a few times….some small spots of rash on my fingers.. I didn't have the energy I had before…but that was due to my thyroid conking out…while the throid issue was the most serious…it is not an issue because I take synthroid….most thyroids start to conk out as we get older anyhow…so mine came earlier!! I had more rash during the booster phase on the palms of my hands and feet but it has cleared. The biggest side effect is that I remain NED!!! This trial is a walk in the park. After the first two 12 week cycles ( I went in every other week and got 6 injections of peptides in my thighs ( now that hurt!) along with infusion of MDX 1106)  I am now in the booster phase in which I go get only MDX 1106 every 3 months along with blood work, scans and my onc appointment for check up.   I have to update it but pictures and stuff are on my www site   http://www.gentlewinds.org   I am an org of one since  dot com and dot net were taken!

LynnLuc
                                                                Participant

LynnLuc
                                                                  Participant

MeNDave
                                                                    Participant

Actually Mary, that is why Candi's story intrigued me – Dave has done Interferon, then IL-2, then Temodar (which has been keeping him stable).  Given the treatment background, it made me wonder if there was a difference in the drugs.

I wish I had a crystal ball….

I'll post the results after tomorrow's appointment.  And thanks for the positive thoughts.

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                      Participant

Actually Mary, that is why Candi's story intrigued me – Dave has done Interferon, then IL-2, then Temodar (which has been keeping him stable).  Given the treatment background, it made me wonder if there was a difference in the drugs.

I'll post the results after tomorrow's appointment.  And thanks for the positive thoughts.

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                        Participant

Maria

LynnLuc
                                                                          Participant

I actually started out doing radiation and Temodar to which it held it for about 6 months before it woke up again…then I had a thoracotomy and then started the Anti PD /peptide trial. From what I was told by my Mayo onc, they didn't expect Temodar to last over 6-7 months because melanoma figures a way around it…one cunning demon!

LynnLuc
                                                                            Participant

I actually started out doing radiation and Temodar to which it held it for about 6 months before it woke up again…then I had a thoracotomy and then started the Anti PD /peptide trial. From what I was told by my Mayo onc, they didn't expect Temodar to last over 6-7 months because melanoma figures a way around it…one cunning demon!

LynnLuc
                                                                              Participant

Maria, so happy to hear things are stable for Dave! Praying for Excellent scan results! I have one Mel left on the dome of my gall bladder. Outpatient surgery tomorrow to replace my port. It’s got a clot ( or something) in it and we are switching it out for a power port. Scans in 10 days to see if there’s anything else going on in my intestine, and if the IPI is shrinking the gall bladder met. If not, we decide whether I a) do the Roswell trial, b) go back to Sloane for a different trial or c) wait an watch ( not my choice LOL)

Love to you both… Maybe we’ll see you in buffalo!

Maria, so happy to hear things are stable for Dave! Praying for Excellent scan results! I have one Mel left on the dome of my gall bladder. Outpatient surgery tomorrow to replace my port. It’s got a clot ( or something) in it and we are switching it out for a power port. Scans in 10 days to see if there’s anything else going on in my intestine, and if the IPI is shrinking the gall bladder met. If not, we decide whether I a) do the Roswell trial, b) go back to Sloane for a different trial or c) wait an watch ( not my choice LOL)

killmel
                                                                              Participant

Maria,

Mary

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics