The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anti-PD-1 & Z-pack

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Anti-PD-1 & Z-pack

Participant

Have any of my fellow PD-1 test subjects been on Azithromycin?  Has anyone been told not to take it?  I am asking because I am fighting some type of URI/cold and that is what was prescribed. In the precautions it said to check with your doctor if you are on cancer meds.  Can't do that on News Years Day.  Thanks for any opinions.  Dan

Have any of my fellow PD-1 test subjects been on Azithromycin?  Has anyone been told not to take it?  I am asking because I am fighting some type of URI/cold and that is what was prescribed. In the precautions it said to check with your doctor if you are on cancer meds.  Can't do that on News Years Day.  Thanks for any opinions.  Dan

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

I would call my oncologist today and ask him or her. There has to be an emergency number that you can call to ask if there are any contraindiations. The fact that you're sick is hardly trivial.

Azithromycin/Zithromax can give you loose stools but that's just temporary and if you're a female, it can also give you a yeast infection where you least want it. Both side effects preventable and controllable. If you're on a conventional chemotherapy drug where stomach upset and nausea are the main side effects, you certainly wouldn't want to add Azithromycin to that mix. So, I can understand the warning.

But I would definitely call your oncologist today and ask if you can take that antibiotic with Anti-PD1. Why suffer?

Linny
          Participant

I would call my oncologist today and ask him or her. There has to be an emergency number that you can call to ask if there are any contraindiations. The fact that you're sick is hardly trivial.

Azithromycin/Zithromax can give you loose stools but that's just temporary and if you're a female, it can also give you a yeast infection where you least want it. Both side effects preventable and controllable. If you're on a conventional chemotherapy drug where stomach upset and nausea are the main side effects, you certainly wouldn't want to add Azithromycin to that mix. So, I can understand the warning.

But I would definitely call your oncologist today and ask if you can take that antibiotic with Anti-PD1. Why suffer?

Linny
            Participant

lou2
              Participant

If you do take this antibiotic, be sure to take a probiotic two hours after every dose.  This will help prevent a yeast infection and diarrhea.  Unsweetened yogurt also helps, as does a low carb diet during the treatment.

lou2
                Participant

If you do take this antibiotic, be sure to take a probiotic two hours after every dose.  This will help prevent a yeast infection and diarrhea.  Unsweetened yogurt also helps, as does a low carb diet during the treatment.

lou2
                  Participant

audgator
                    Participant

Just to wrap this up, the nurse who is the trial coordinator said to go ahead and take it.  I'm feeling better & no yeast infection.  ๐Ÿ˜‰     Dan

Linny
                        Participant

Glad to hear you're feeling better!  yes

LOL @ your yeast infection comment. laugh

Linny
                          Participant

Linny
                            Participant

audgator
                            Participant

Just to wrap this up, the nurse who is the trial coordinator said to go ahead and take it.  I'm feeling better & no yeast infection.  ๐Ÿ˜‰     Dan

audgator
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics