The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anti IL-8 Trial. This is interesting

Forums General Melanoma Community Anti IL-8 Trial. This is interesting

Participant

Hi Everybody,

Yep, here I sit, doing what I've been doing — waiting. This time it's waiting for 30 days after my brain radiation to screen for another trial, probably the anti IL-8 trial.

Of course I've been scouring the internet for info about the trial and the new antibody they're testing. I've heard really nothing about anybody else going through this trial except for a post here by GeoTony (I think?). Dr. Sharfman told me back in December that they are "very excited about this trial." After doing my digging I found out why. In the phase 1 trial, a very small cohort of 15 tolerated the medicine (BMS-986253) with minor or no adverse effects, even at the highest dose levels. But most important — the trial produced a reduction in IL-8 levels, and administered as a monotherapy 11 of the 15 patients achieved stable disease and progression free survival at 24 weeks was 73%.

They're hoping this antibody, administered with a PD-1, will bring about renewed response in those who had a partial or no response to a PD-1 in the past. A link to the abstract is below.

This may be the answer those of us hanging on to those last few threads at the end of our rope have been waiting for.

-Bill

http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2018.36.15_suppl.3091

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mark_DC
        Participant

Hi Bill,

Do you have another 30 days to wait from now, or will you know sooner? I am very interested in this approach and hopeful for you, it does sound promising and targeted to your case (and might be useful for many of us on this board)

Please keep us posted. I may not always be able to reply because of the captchas but i will always be reading what you post and thinking of you

best wishes Mark

mrsaxde
            Participant

Hi Mark,

I'm about halfway through my 30 day wait now. I got my order for the follow up MRI in the mail yesterday. That's on the 18th. Dr. Sharfman wanted me to call him about a week before, so he could "get things rolling" with the screening process, so I'll phone his office at the start of next week.

If everything is stable inside my cabeza, the other item I'll have to clear to get through the screening is the serum IL-8 level. If it's not elevated I won't get in. Kind of a two edged sword, hoping for an elevated IL-8 level, as I've read that correlates with poor prognosis.

-Bill

BrianP
            Participant

Best of luck Bill.  The trial does look very promising.  

GeoTony
              Participant

Hi Bill

I have my appontment with the trial team on Monday, then its bloodwork to test for IL-8, if its elevated all good to go, baseline scans, biopsy, ekg, etc, etc. Then treatment, I'll let you know how this progresses up here in Vancouver.

Tony

mrsaxde
                  Participant

Good luck Tony! I'll be calling my doc at Johns Hopkins next Monday to let him know my MRI is scheduled. Hopefully I'll be screened within the next 2-3 weeks.

-Bill

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hang in there, boys!!!  I think this could be a good thing, too!  Fingers crossed and best wishes for all of you!!!  celeste

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics