The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Answer to Cancer bike ride June 25

Forums General Melanoma Community Answer to Cancer bike ride June 25

Participant

Hi! I'm checking in to see whether any other forum members are going to participate in the Answer to Cancer bike ride to raise money for cancer immunotherapy research (a2c.org)? My husband and I are signed up for the 25 mile ride. I'd love to know if any other melanoma patients are participating – the course is pretty grueling so that leads me to believe they didn't really have current patients in mind when they planned it. I am doing well right now on Tafinlar/Mekinist, though, so it's a good time for me to train.

Deborah

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        SoCalDave
        Participant

Sure wish I could join you!

Done my share of charity bike rides and I think they are more about fund raising than anyone who has the disease participating.

Did a pediatric cancer ride a few weeks back and not one kid in sight!

It's all good though if we can hope that our participation and contribution can help.

I guess our melanoma rides should happen in the dark!

David

SoCalDave
          Participant

Done my share of charity bike rides and I think they are more about fund raising than anyone who has the disease participating.

It's all good though if we can hope that our participation and contribution can help.

David

SoCalDave
            Participant

David

SoCalDave
                Participant

Oh, and as cyclist, don't worry too much about the mileage. If you can do 15 miles you can easily do 25. I think my highest mileage was 20 miles when I did a 35 miler, so you'll be fine.

Don't start out too fast and just find your pace. Think of the pizza and ice cream when you finish – that did it for me!

David

wasserd
                  Participant
                    Thanks, David. I was inspired to sign up for this one by a friend, who is a two time breast cancer survivor, who has done the “Tour de Cure,” which actually is a ride for survivors. The A2C ride is different, however.

I’m excited to train but there is a 2,600 foot gain in elevation so it won’t be a little ride in the park! I have a few weeks to get used to it, though, and I’m going to work with a trainer next week who will come up with a plan for me. I want to finish as strong as possible!

SoCalDave
                    Participant

You'll do fine!

Going up that hill, every few minutes get up and pedal. A lot of folks say to stay seated but it's good to get up and stretch.

You'll do fine. Just don't start out like it's the tour de france; link in with a group that you feel comfortable with and let us know how how you did!

Just like this stupid cancer, it's a marathon, not a sprint!

David

SoCalDave
                      Participant

You'll do fine!

Going up that hill, every few minutes get up and pedal. A lot of folks say to stay seated but it's good to get up and stretch.

You'll do fine. Just don't start out like it's the tour de france; link in with a group that you feel comfortable with and let us know how how you did!

David

SoCalDave
                        Participant

You'll do fine!

David

wasserd
                          Participant

I'll just be really happy to finish before they close the course! πŸ™‚ My husband and I will be riding together, luckily. So we'll just be pedaling in our own little world.

wasserd
                            Participant

I'll just be really happy to finish before they close the course! πŸ™‚ My husband and I will be riding together, luckily. So we'll just be pedaling in our own little world.

wasserd
                              Participant

wasserd
                                Participant
                                  Thanks, David. I was inspired to sign up for this one by a friend, who is a two time breast cancer survivor, who has done the “Tour de Cure,” which actually is a ride for survivors. The A2C ride is different, however.

I’m excited to train but there is a 2,600 foot gain in elevation so it won’t be a little ride in the park! I have a few weeks to get used to it, though, and I’m going to work with a trainer next week who will come up with a plan for me. I want to finish as strong as possible!

wasserd
                                  Participant

SoCalDave
                                    Participant

Oh, and as cyclist, don't worry too much about the mileage. If you can do 15 miles you can easily do 25. I think my highest mileage was 20 miles when I did a 35 miler, so you'll be fine.

Don't start out too fast and just find your pace. Think of the pizza and ice cream when you finish – that did it for me!

David

SoCalDave
                                      Participant

David

JuTMSY4
                                      Participant

Yes and no!  I'm doing the Breakthrough Bike Challenge with Penn Medicine – my Onc threw me the flyer and pretty my told me I had to do it.  

My race is June 19, so just a week before yours.  Good stuff!

JuTMSY4
                                        Participant

Yes and no!  I'm doing the Breakthrough Bike Challenge with Penn Medicine – my Onc threw me the flyer and pretty my told me I had to do it.  

wasserd
                                            Participant

That's amazing! Break a leg! (Or is that not the wish for sporting events??) Glad your oncologist is enabling you. I'm seeing mine in a couple weeks and wondering if I should hit her up for a donation! πŸ™‚

wasserd
                                              Participant

That's amazing! Break a leg! (Or is that not the wish for sporting events??) Glad your oncologist is enabling you. I'm seeing mine in a couple weeks and wondering if I should hit her up for a donation! πŸ™‚

wasserd
                                                Participant

JuTMSY4
                                                Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics