The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Another melanoma victim…

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Another melanoma victim…

Participant

A girl I work with knows someone who passed away this morning from melanoma. She isn't sure if it was nodular or superficial spreading but apparently it was quite deep at diagnosis and ended up spreading to her brain quite quickly and eventually her spine and bones. She was 36 years old and a lifelong sun-worshipper. She leaves behind 2 young teenagers. So flippin' sad.

A girl I work with knows someone who passed away this morning from melanoma. She isn't sure if it was nodular or superficial spreading but apparently it was quite deep at diagnosis and ended up spreading to her brain quite quickly and eventually her spine and bones. She was 36 years old and a lifelong sun-worshipper. She leaves behind 2 young teenagers. So flippin' sad.

What drives me insane is the fact that we work at an insurance company that handles group Long Term Disability claims. We know all about cancer yet I have some coworkers who are actually SURPRISED that skin cancer can be deadly.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Hello, it is so sad that someone her age had died from melanoma. You have stated that she was a lifelong sun worshipper and I can't help but wonder if she was also a lifetime user of sunscreens or sun blockers?

Perhaps the sun was not the curse but the chemicals that she applied to her skin? The following video has many good points about skin cancer. See: 

Best wishes to her family,
          Gene
          Gene_S
          Participant

Hello, it is so sad that someone her age had died from melanoma. You have stated that she was a lifelong sun worshipper and I can't help but wonder if she was also a lifetime user of sunscreens or sun blockers?

Perhaps the sun was not the curse but the chemicals that she applied to her skin? The following video has many good points about skin cancer. See: 

Best wishes to her family,
            Gene
            Carol Taylor
            Participant

I'm sorry to learn of your co-worker's death.

People just don't get it and I'm finding that increasingly frustrating also.  I've got 2 facebook pages: my personal one and one for my church, a total of almost 300 friends.  Many of them LOVE to repost stuff, usually silly stuff.  A couple of days ago, I put a blurb in about melanoma & a link to one of my blog posts about it (which contains good links) and I flat out stated: If you like to repost, please repost this, it will save a life.

You know how many reposters I had?  A big fat 0!  Some of those reposting-loving friends are nurses!

I've also opened Melanoma Prayer Center on fb.  I don't know how many people have actually started using it, but it's only got 7 fans and two are from my accounts.  Now, that's one thing I'd rather have users than fans, but still, 5 people besides myself that I know have looked at it.

I don't know how to educate people in this.

And my light bulb's going off.  Maybe someone here at MRF can help.

Thanks for posting!

MaryMary73
                Participant

Actually, it wasn't my coworker…it was someone she knows who passed away after a valiant battle with this disgusting bastard son of a b!tch of a disease. And another coworker of mine, who is FULL of atypical moles all over her back, goes on vacation twice a year to the Caribbean or the Mayan Riviera in Mexico…at this very moment, she is in the Dominican Republic…and she was boasting on her FB profile before she left that she cannot wait to get drunk and bake in the sun. This woman is 51 years old and won her battle (which included a total abdominal hysterectomy) with cervical cancer about 6 years ago yet she learned NOTHING, in my opinion. I begged her to be careful and wear a good strong sunscreen. She knows the horror I faced back in October/November 2010. I don't know what else I can do. I talk and I talk and people look at me like I'm the nutcase.

I wish I could do something that would bring attention to this highly curable yet potentially deadly disease. Anything.

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

Sometimes I think the theory of evolution insults primates!  People can be so stupid.  I was counted amongst them for 30 years trying to prove to my Mama that the mole she was concermed about on my arm "wouldn't kill me, it was just a mole!"  Stubborn plus stupid equals trouble and sometimes it equals death.

When I realized up close and personal that a mole can bring you down, I changed my tune.

MaryMary73
                    Participant

Carol, what's the link to your FB page? I'll join.

Carol Taylor
                      Participant

FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Melanoma-Prayer-Center/136617429740982  (if the link doesn't work straight from here, you can either copy/paste or do a fb search for Melanoma Prayer Center)

The blog post with links (two links are to my story):   

http://letsgivethanks.blogspot.com/2011/03/let-sun-shine.html

Have you got anything anywhere in cyberspace to share?

Carol Taylor
                        Participant

FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Melanoma-Prayer-Center/136617429740982  (if the link doesn't work straight from here, you can either copy/paste or do a fb search for Melanoma Prayer Center)

The blog post with links (two links are to my story):   

http://letsgivethanks.blogspot.com/2011/03/let-sun-shine.html

Have you got anything anywhere in cyberspace to share?

MaryMary73
                          Participant

Carol, what's the link to your FB page? I'll join.

Carol Taylor
                            Participant

Sometimes I think the theory of evolution insults primates!  People can be so stupid.  I was counted amongst them for 30 years trying to prove to my Mama that the mole she was concermed about on my arm "wouldn't kill me, it was just a mole!"  Stubborn plus stupid equals trouble and sometimes it equals death.

When I realized up close and personal that a mole can bring you down, I changed my tune.

MaryMary73
                              Participant

Actually, it wasn't my coworker…it was someone she knows who passed away after a valiant battle with this disgusting bastard son of a b!tch of a disease. And another coworker of mine, who is FULL of atypical moles all over her back, goes on vacation twice a year to the Caribbean or the Mayan Riviera in Mexico…at this very moment, she is in the Dominican Republic…and she was boasting on her FB profile before she left that she cannot wait to get drunk and bake in the sun. This woman is 51 years old and won her battle (which included a total abdominal hysterectomy) with cervical cancer about 6 years ago yet she learned NOTHING, in my opinion. I begged her to be careful and wear a good strong sunscreen. She knows the horror I faced back in October/November 2010. I don't know what else I can do. I talk and I talk and people look at me like I'm the nutcase.

I wish I could do something that would bring attention to this highly curable yet potentially deadly disease. Anything.

Carol Taylor
                              Participant

I'm sorry to learn of your co-worker's death.

People just don't get it and I'm finding that increasingly frustrating also.  I've got 2 facebook pages: my personal one and one for my church, a total of almost 300 friends.  Many of them LOVE to repost stuff, usually silly stuff.  A couple of days ago, I put a blurb in about melanoma & a link to one of my blog posts about it (which contains good links) and I flat out stated: If you like to repost, please repost this, it will save a life.

You know how many reposters I had?  A big fat 0!  Some of those reposting-loving friends are nurses!

I've also opened Melanoma Prayer Center on fb.  I don't know how many people have actually started using it, but it's only got 7 fans and two are from my accounts.  Now, that's one thing I'd rather have users than fans, but still, 5 people besides myself that I know have looked at it.

I don't know how to educate people in this.

And my light bulb's going off.  Maybe someone here at MRF can help.

Thanks for posting!

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics