The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Another Ipi query: bleeding/weeping tumors

Forums General Melanoma Community Another Ipi query: bleeding/weeping tumors

Participant

My husband is due to have infusion #4 next week & one of the sub-qs on his scalp has started bleeding with, to quote him "bits dropping off".  A lesion on the side of his chest also began seeping/bleeding this morning.  Has anyone else doing Ipi experienced this?  We're hoping it's a good sign as a couple of his other sub-q tumors aren't looking as "robust" as they were…

My husband is due to have infusion #4 next week & one of the sub-qs on his scalp has started bleeding with, to quote him "bits dropping off".  A lesion on the side of his chest also began seeping/bleeding this morning.  Has anyone else doing Ipi experienced this?  We're hoping it's a good sign as a couple of his other sub-q tumors aren't looking as "robust" as they were…

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        ValinMtl
        Participant

Hi there…yes, I have had the same kind of reaction on two of my sub-qs…I have finished my 2nd treatment of my 2nd round of ipi (first one got rid of the cutaneous mel and after that round of 4..sub-qs starting popping up so that's why I am back on again).   Leakage and bits are falling off.  I really don't know if it's a good sign or not..hope so…as well some of the others are starting to look different.  Donna in Vermont had complete success with her sub-qs when on ipi and she described the tumors as 'crusted over and flaking off'…don't know if that's the same…let's hope.  Val

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Hi,

The first sign I had of ipi working, besides the whitening of my skin under the blacklight that the oncologist could see, was the crusting over of one of my cutaneous tumors, and then over the next several days if flaked off and was gone. Then I started noticing that some other tumors were growing flatter and smaller…less "robust" as you put it. i dont know about the bleeding, that never happened. it sounds like the ipi is working…and I hope for you that it is!!!!

Let us know as you go along!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi,

The first sign I had of ipi working, besides the whitening of my skin under the blacklight that the oncologist could see, was the crusting over of one of my cutaneous tumors, and then over the next several days if flaked off and was gone. Then I started noticing that some other tumors were growing flatter and smaller…less "robust" as you put it. i dont know about the bleeding, that never happened. it sounds like the ipi is working…and I hope for you that it is!!!!

Let us know as you go along!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

ValinMtl
              Participant

Hi there…yes, I have had the same kind of reaction on two of my sub-qs…I have finished my 2nd treatment of my 2nd round of ipi (first one got rid of the cutaneous mel and after that round of 4..sub-qs starting popping up so that's why I am back on again).   Leakage and bits are falling off.  I really don't know if it's a good sign or not..hope so…as well some of the others are starting to look different.  Donna in Vermont had complete success with her sub-qs when on ipi and she described the tumors as 'crusted over and flaking off'…don't know if that's the same…let's hope.  Val

K in LA
                Participant

Thanks for the responses.  Saw the oncologist today who was playing his cards close to his chest but seemed to imply that the reduction in pain plus the dodgy looking tumors plus the lack of any new ones/significant growth could be a good sign.  But we'll have to see what the scans show in a couple of weeks, particularly as in the past couple of days, although my husband has been feeling stronger & better in general, on Monday his walking suddenly became decidedly wobbly & we've no idea if this is a catatrophic sign that the stereotatic radiation of 3 tiny brain mets didn't kill them or there are new ones or this is a new, rarer side effect of IPI kicking in, or it's been caused by the anti-nausea drug he'd been taking more frequently until I saw "wobbly walking" was one of its side effects after he took it yesterday morning.  All we can do for now is change his pain & anit-nausea meds.

Also found out that he's not eligible for E7080 if Ipi doesn't work as the drug company won't enroll anyone who's previously failed more than 2 other treatments & he's already done IL-2, a specific UCLA trial, PLX & now Ipi, so Ipi better be working….

K in LA
                    Participant

Things have not been good.  The brain MRI showed progressive disease (which explains the vertigo he developed at the end of April) & since then he's deteriorated rapidly, is now bedridden & in Hospice.  He's a tough guy who's been fighting hard since March 2009  but we both know now it's just been a long goodbye for us. 

Many thanks for the support we received in the brief time we've used MRF.  I probably won't be posting again as I have aboslutely nothing positive to say about this gruesome disease.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Sorry to hear this status.  Are they keeping his pain levels under control?  You hang  in there.  Let Hospice do all they can and you be a companion and take care of yoourself to.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Sorry to hear this status.  Are they keeping his pain levels under control?  You hang  in there.  Let Hospice do all they can and you be a companion and take care of yoourself to.

K in LA
                          Participant

Things have not been good.  The brain MRI showed progressive disease (which explains the vertigo he developed at the end of April) & since then he's deteriorated rapidly, is now bedridden & in Hospice.  He's a tough guy who's been fighting hard since March 2009  but we both know now it's just been a long goodbye for us. 

Many thanks for the support we received in the brief time we've used MRF.  I probably won't be posting again as I have aboslutely nothing positive to say about this gruesome disease.

K in LA
                          Participant

Thanks for the responses.  Saw the oncologist today who was playing his cards close to his chest but seemed to imply that the reduction in pain plus the dodgy looking tumors plus the lack of any new ones/significant growth could be a good sign.  But we'll have to see what the scans show in a couple of weeks, particularly as in the past couple of days, although my husband has been feeling stronger & better in general, on Monday his walking suddenly became decidedly wobbly & we've no idea if this is a catatrophic sign that the stereotatic radiation of 3 tiny brain mets didn't kill them or there are new ones or this is a new, rarer side effect of IPI kicking in, or it's been caused by the anti-nausea drug he'd been taking more frequently until I saw "wobbly walking" was one of its side effects after he took it yesterday morning.  All we can do for now is change his pain & anit-nausea meds.

Also found out that he's not eligible for E7080 if Ipi doesn't work as the drug company won't enroll anyone who's previously failed more than 2 other treatments & he's already done IL-2, a specific UCLA trial, PLX & now Ipi, so Ipi better be working….

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics