The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Another failed trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Another failed trial

Participant
      Hello family,

Back here to seek help from you all. I posted in Jan for my mom diagnosed in Oct 2018. failed nivo, pi/nivo with mets to liver, lungs and vaginal area. She started on a trial of PARP inhibitor niraparib in feb , we thought her liver lesion was shrinking ( as the scan said there is less activity in the middle of tumor and it looks necrotic ) another scan in June released shows lesions back in the vaginal wall. She is kicked out of the trial for progression so we are back to choosing another trial out of two options provided. One being the XmAb20717 which as I understand is ipi/nivo ( I am concerned why she is being offered the same thing when we have only seen progression on it before. ) Can it do any good when ipi/nivo caused a significant progression in the liver ?

the second option is injecting a herpes virus into the vaginal lesions biweekly and scan after 12 weeks , i asked the onco will it help with the lesions in the lungs and liver and the reply is theoretically it should.
      Please pour in your opinions and thoughts. I know ultimately we have to make a decision but would like to know what would you choose if you were faced with these two options.

I am really concerned with mom feeling very fatigued and low on energy.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Hi SKS2019, a couple of ideas on injectables, masterkey 318 is combining t-vec plus pembro injected into liver. Following video covers injectables starting at 9:34 min mark with t-vec at 12:38 min mark. You will notice tlr-9 as another injectable that has shown promise. As to trial Xencor XmAb20717 is a bispecific also discussed in first video at 19:20 min mark but another drug from Immununocore not Xencor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbSHUEbhTho&feature=youtu.be
          Bubbles
          Participant
            I am sorry that you and your mom have to continue to search for and struggle with these treatments. There are many intralesional treatments (treatments that are injected directly into tumors. Here is a list of some:

CAVATAK – derived from the Coxsackievirus
            T-VEC – also called OncoVEX, Imlygic, or Talimogene Laherparepvec – uses the herpes virus with GM-CSF
            PV-10 – derived from Rose Bengal
            HF10 – also derived from HSV
            SD101 – a TLR9 agonist
            IL-2 – is also being used

Here are LOTS of reports on them: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=intralesional

Hope that helps. c

Mark_DC
              Participant
                Dear sks2019,

One year of TVEC plus pembro worked for me, following one year of pembro where I experienced gradual progression (but still localized). It seemed like a miracle, my hospital had just started to offer this treatment, however my understanding is that it did not work for others at my hospital (I think their tumour burden was greater). So I would go for TVEC (or some other intralesional) plus pembro not TVEC alone. It might work on the vaginal lesions and then you hope that it also cleans up the other lesions by the abscopal effect or because the pembro kicks in. TVEC plus pembro took time for me to work – for the first few weeks my tumour was inflamed, after three months we were back where we started but the direction was the right one.

I think intralesional plus ummunotherapy is a promising approach. I dont know about the other trial you were mentioning.
                I hope one of these will work for your mother
                Best wishes Mark

Mark_DC
                Participant
                  Dear sks2019,

One year of TVEC plus pembro worked for me, following one year of pembro where I experienced gradual progression (but still localized). It seemed like a miracle, my hospital had just started to offer this treatment, however my understanding is that it did not work for others at my hospital (I think their tumour burden was greater). So I would go for TVEC (or some other intralesional) plus pembro not TVEC alone. It might work on the vaginal lesions and then you hope that it also cleans up the other lesions by the abscopal effect or because the pembro kicks in. TVEC plus pembro took time for me to work – for the first few weeks my tumour was inflamed, after three months we were back where we started but the direction was the right one.

I think intralesional plus ummunotherapy is a promising approach. I dont know about the other trial you were mentioning.
                  I hope one of these will work for your mother
                  Best wishes Mark

Bubbles
                Participant
                  Just as an outside chance and so you can know what else is out there, here is a link to clinicaltrials.gov with the parameters of Stage IV melanoma and solid tumors with the “recruiting” box checked and limited to the US: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?recrs=ab&cond=Stage+IV+Melanoma&term=solid+tumors&cntry=US&state=&city=&dist=

Clearly, some of these are not applicable to your mom due to BRAF status and other factors, but you might find some treatments and meds you’d like to speak to her doc about. c

gopher38
                  Participant
                    There must be more to the XmAb20717 study, because they don’t need to do a trial on ipi/nivo, which is already approved, right? So I guess it depends on what is being added. I think I’ve heard this Duad fellow at UCSF is one of the leaders, so I’d follow his advice. Just my gut feel (which is as far as my expertize goes), but I think I’ve heard good things about these intralesionals, so I’d be inclined to try something new.
                Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics