The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

another dentist appt

Forums General Melanoma Community another dentist appt

Participant

well, guys and guyetttes.

well, guys and guyetttes.

I had my six month check up with my dentist.  I have been sort of concerned due to jaw pain and a slight sort of lump on bottom of right jaw, close to where the tube runs from the brain shunt thing, and intertwining maybe lymph nodes and oh just the usual heebie geebies I always get when ever I am faced with any kind of medical appt be it dental or what ever.   So since I really always now shy away from x-rays I broke my rule and asked for a Pan view of my jaw and he obliged me, and whew!  along with NO lumps, bumps, shadows, bright beams of lights, any weirdo things, and a perfect check up we high fived it and I am ok.  (the flipping and lumpy thing, was the tendons had flipped)

TMJ is still there, but no leisions, which I thought I had, as it feels like constant popcorn window things, on my gum but tis not.  Next appt is dermatologist, and he has some moles he needs to go over with that dermascope thingy as they are diff looking than other ones, then following him, I see the brain guy, and he will help me determine if my anything shunt needs diff meds or what ever, then I go back to the endo guy, as my thyroid seems to be acting up and maybe the nodes have changed so looks like tings are moving about once again.  BUT NEVER FEAR  tomorrow I book   our annual CAMP-A-THON and I vow NO SURGERY again this year will interrupt our quest for -un-bear- camping.

Will have a thorough blood lab done on the 15th for the thyroid, and VIT stuff and of course Cholesterol, and CBC and what ever else is needed.  Busy next couple of months.  THEN SOON COME Camping.devil

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

Well, that is good news Bonnie, did you negotiate the prices on the x-rays like the video I posted?

Glad to hear that everything is ok, although if you are talking about chewing on the popcorn kernels, that is a little disturbing.

John 

Bonnie Lea
            Participant

Ha John   the lovely thing is   this dentist I go to knows I have not a pot to piddle in, so he never charges me for things like that.  I had a reg x-ray to check on a tender toofy peg last year, (also he is wary of doing x-rays on me)   but I requested this pan one, to see my jaw bone,  and they do cost a pretty penny but I had saved up some cash for it, my bill was the same I always pay for my bi annual cleaning and check up.  So no negociations required.  I loved that video and poor wife!

I am going to be asking my fam doctor next week to get me in to see a ENT guy, as I have sore throat all the time, and worse ever dry throat, almost like a varnished laquured palet which makes me think something is wrong, plus Bob says my snore is unlike anything he has heard,  mouth closed, and on the exhale, almost like that little punching bag thing is being pushed about.  Ever since my brain surgery, I have felt this thing which hurt terrible and I ended up with a infection in my throat from the entubation, and now the feeling of a covering of not gum on my gum gum.  with my uncle now having salivary gland cancer dx'd and I had something strange attempted to be traced about 30 years ago, resulted in the dye exploding and since then that side of my neck under the chin sags down well, we shall see.  I will get to the bottom of why on earth I am still not feeling so hot after all these years, melanoma not withstanding.

Don't chew popcorn kernals, I meant  to say, that bit that gets stuck in gums, like those 'windows' in apples that is what it feels like at times, and even though I floss nothing comes off,  just this funny feeling of the tissue, unlike the other side which feels smooth.  so ENT I shall see, jusst to make double sure, but I am glad the bone is fine.  even saw a funny round bone, called H…..toild something like that   my memory!!  (looked like that bone one finds in a cut of sirloin steak, round small ring thing.  I will get it one day and tell ya. 

jag
              Participant

Is this the bone you are talking about?

http://www.google.com/images?q=hyoid+bone&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zvNdTfiSBML88AaO8qGIDA&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=685

Let us know when you have the ENT results.

Hope you feel better soon

John

jag
                Participant

Is this the bone you are talking about?

http://www.google.com/images?q=hyoid+bone&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zvNdTfiSBML88AaO8qGIDA&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=685

Let us know when you have the ENT results.

Hope you feel better soon

John

Bonnie Lea
                  Participant

Ha John   the lovely thing is   this dentist I go to knows I have not a pot to piddle in, so he never charges me for things like that.  I had a reg x-ray to check on a tender toofy peg last year, (also he is wary of doing x-rays on me)   but I requested this pan one, to see my jaw bone,  and they do cost a pretty penny but I had saved up some cash for it, my bill was the same I always pay for my bi annual cleaning and check up.  So no negociations required.  I loved that video and poor wife!

I am going to be asking my fam doctor next week to get me in to see a ENT guy, as I have sore throat all the time, and worse ever dry throat, almost like a varnished laquured palet which makes me think something is wrong, plus Bob says my snore is unlike anything he has heard,  mouth closed, and on the exhale, almost like that little punching bag thing is being pushed about.  Ever since my brain surgery, I have felt this thing which hurt terrible and I ended up with a infection in my throat from the entubation, and now the feeling of a covering of not gum on my gum gum.  with my uncle now having salivary gland cancer dx'd and I had something strange attempted to be traced about 30 years ago, resulted in the dye exploding and since then that side of my neck under the chin sags down well, we shall see.  I will get to the bottom of why on earth I am still not feeling so hot after all these years, melanoma not withstanding.

Don't chew popcorn kernals, I meant  to say, that bit that gets stuck in gums, like those 'windows' in apples that is what it feels like at times, and even though I floss nothing comes off,  just this funny feeling of the tissue, unlike the other side which feels smooth.  so ENT I shall see, jusst to make double sure, but I am glad the bone is fine.  even saw a funny round bone, called H…..toild something like that   my memory!!  (looked like that bone one finds in a cut of sirloin steak, round small ring thing.  I will get it one day and tell ya. 

jag
                  Participant

Well, that is good news Bonnie, did you negotiate the prices on the x-rays like the video I posted?

Glad to hear that everything is ok, although if you are talking about chewing on the popcorn kernels, that is a little disturbing.

John 

JakeinNY
                    Participant

Bonnie Lea,

I didn't want to respond to your initial post on the "main board".

I went from stage I (I think it was 0.4 mm deep..considered very shallow) to stage III (spread to the sentinel lymph node…in parotid gland…some cells found just outside the lymph node as well…maybe due to fine needle biopsy, maybe not) in 6 months. Since that I've been NED (3+ years). I declined interferon and leukine and was on a waiting list for a trial for NYES01 to open up. It was delayed so long that my onc. told me I'd probably be better off not doing it because I was NED for 1-2 years and "why mess with my immune system" when everything has been fine. Since my surgery to remove my lymph node in the parotid (was still melanoma post surgery!!) and about 25 lymph nodes in my neck (all negative), I'm just following a very strict diet (broccoli, brussel sprouts, squash, zucchini, asparagus, carrots, red bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, shitake mushrooms, blueberries, occasionally apples and bananas, garlic, walnuts, pecans, cashews, pistachio nuts, pumpkin seeds, "cold-pressed" almond butter, ezekiel sprouted grain bread, oatmeal, ezekiel sprouted grain cereal, "pure" soymilk, turmeric powder, flaxseed oil, olive oil, brown rice, chicken, wild salmon, occasionally shrimp, organic soup, occasional plaintain chips, extremely occasionally egg white omelette, filet mignon about once per year, kangen water, occasional coconut water, and on rare occasions-a beer or a glass of red wine…if any of the above is available as organic, I buy it), getting a massage for 1/2 hour every week, going for reiki about every other week, exercising at the gym, and last but not least, going to my catholic church every week. I may be missing something, hopefully not. Can I say that any of what I did is responsible for keeping me NED? No. But I cannot say that it hasn't (I really hope that it has been my refocusing on my faith in God!!!). It's been a big sacrifice but I don't regret it at all. I'm not sure that this is what you wanted but it's here.

Regarding your personal situation, I don't know if diet could have done anything to prevent your cancers. What is known is that lifestyle (including diet) accounts for a high percentage of cancers (the percentage is very arguable) and maybe it had something to do with mine, or not. However, my attitude now is to do all that I can to keep my mind, body, and spirit as strong as possible.

jag
                        Participant

Jake that sounds all well and grand, but what about the most important ingredients?

It is well known that eye of toad and lip of newt can result in immortality. 

C'mon guy, keep up with the lifestyle.

JakeinNY
                          Participant

lol. I'll have to look into those!!!

Best Wishes always.

JakeinNY
                            Participant

lol. I'll have to look into those!!!

Best Wishes always.

jag
                              Participant

Jake that sounds all well and grand, but what about the most important ingredients?

It is well known that eye of toad and lip of newt can result in immortality. 

C'mon guy, keep up with the lifestyle.

JakeinNY
                              Participant

Bonnie Lea,

I didn't want to respond to your initial post on the "main board".

I went from stage I (I think it was 0.4 mm deep..considered very shallow) to stage III (spread to the sentinel lymph node…in parotid gland…some cells found just outside the lymph node as well…maybe due to fine needle biopsy, maybe not) in 6 months. Since that I've been NED (3+ years). I declined interferon and leukine and was on a waiting list for a trial for NYES01 to open up. It was delayed so long that my onc. told me I'd probably be better off not doing it because I was NED for 1-2 years and "why mess with my immune system" when everything has been fine. Since my surgery to remove my lymph node in the parotid (was still melanoma post surgery!!) and about 25 lymph nodes in my neck (all negative), I'm just following a very strict diet (broccoli, brussel sprouts, squash, zucchini, asparagus, carrots, red bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, shitake mushrooms, blueberries, occasionally apples and bananas, garlic, walnuts, pecans, cashews, pistachio nuts, pumpkin seeds, "cold-pressed" almond butter, ezekiel sprouted grain bread, oatmeal, ezekiel sprouted grain cereal, "pure" soymilk, turmeric powder, flaxseed oil, olive oil, brown rice, chicken, wild salmon, occasionally shrimp, organic soup, occasional plaintain chips, extremely occasionally egg white omelette, filet mignon about once per year, kangen water, occasional coconut water, and on rare occasions-a beer or a glass of red wine…if any of the above is available as organic, I buy it), getting a massage for 1/2 hour every week, going for reiki about every other week, exercising at the gym, and last but not least, going to my catholic church every week. I may be missing something, hopefully not. Can I say that any of what I did is responsible for keeping me NED? No. But I cannot say that it hasn't (I really hope that it has been my refocusing on my faith in God!!!). It's been a big sacrifice but I don't regret it at all. I'm not sure that this is what you wanted but it's here.

Regarding your personal situation, I don't know if diet could have done anything to prevent your cancers. What is known is that lifestyle (including diet) accounts for a high percentage of cancers (the percentage is very arguable) and maybe it had something to do with mine, or not. However, my attitude now is to do all that I can to keep my mind, body, and spirit as strong as possible.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics