The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Angela C-How are you doing?

Forums General Melanoma Community Angela C-How are you doing?

Participant

Angela,

How are you doing since your IL-12 treatment at NIH. I hope your scans showed that the treatment is working.

Wishing you  the BEST & NED status.

Mary

Angela,

How are you doing since your IL-12 treatment at NIH. I hope your scans showed that the treatment is working.

Wishing you  the BEST & NED status.

Mary

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Angela C
        Participant

Hey there!

I am doing great! I have had three scans since I finished my treatment in April. They have all been stable. These are the first stable scans I've had in a year and a half! So, while the tumors may not be shrinking, they are at least being stopped in their tracks and my cells are obviously having an effect!

I am still on monthly follow up scans. I'll stay on monthly as long as things are stable. If it starts to shrink, then eventually I'll be able to move to every other month.

I head back mid-August for the next round of scans.

~Angela

Angela C
          Participant

Hey there!

I am doing great! I have had three scans since I finished my treatment in April. They have all been stable. These are the first stable scans I've had in a year and a half! So, while the tumors may not be shrinking, they are at least being stopped in their tracks and my cells are obviously having an effect!

I am still on monthly follow up scans. I'll stay on monthly as long as things are stable. If it starts to shrink, then eventually I'll be able to move to every other month.

~Angela

Angela C
            Participant

Hey there!

~Angela

JC
                Participant

Are you still w/ Dr Clark @ Loyola?  How do you like him/them?

Angela C
                  Participant

I'm not seeing Dr. Clark currently. I just see the docs at NIH. But I really like Dr. Clark and we liked Loyola. It was a really easy facility to get in and out of as far as parking, etc. It's much smaller than some of the other places we have been.

Dr. Clark is very caring and whenever I would call with questions, he would always call me back personally, instead of having a nurse call. I really appreciated that. But, they have their limitations at Loyola because they can only help you to a certain point with treatments. They can treat you with the FDA approved drugs, but they typically only have a few Melanoma studies. So, I saw Dr. Clark while doing IL-2 and Yervoy, but then I had to move on elsewhere once I needed clinical trials that weren't available there. But, if I were to move on to another treatment that could be completed through Loyola, I wouldn't hesitate to go back there.

JC
                    Participant

So, you're still in Chicago area but you go out East to NIH?

JC
                      Participant

JC
                        Participant

Angela C
                          Participant
                            Yes. We are about two hours away from Chicago. So, we had to travel to go to Loyola as well. We fly out to Maryland every month for my scans and follow up appointment. Melanoma consults and treatments have taken us to Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Boston and now Maryland. Not exactly the ideal way to see different parts of the country, but at least we are getting that opportunity. ๐Ÿ™‚
                            Angela C
                            Participant
                              Yes. We are about two hours away from Chicago. So, we had to travel to go to Loyola as well. We fly out to Maryland every month for my scans and follow up appointment. Melanoma consults and treatments have taken us to Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Boston and now Maryland. Not exactly the ideal way to see different parts of the country, but at least we are getting that opportunity. ๐Ÿ™‚
                              JC
                              Participant

So in your research that led you to Clark/Loyola, I'm sure you also looked into U of Chicago, Northwestern, etc..?  And, Loyola seemed best?  I'm in Chicago area too and am trying to gauge which place is best.

JC
                                Participant

So in your research that led you to Clark/Loyola, I'm sure you also looked into U of Chicago, Northwestern, etc..?  And, Loyola seemed best?  I'm in Chicago area too and am trying to gauge which place is best.

Angela C
                                  Participant

Well, you know, I really couldn't tell you now how I ended up at Loyola. I don't really remember. I know that we went there for a second opinion to what we were being told at Barnes in St. Louis, but I'm not sure how we ended up there specifically. We are thinking that my local oncologist suggested Loyola over the other Chicago locations.

Angela C
                                    Participant

Well, you know, I really couldn't tell you now how I ended up at Loyola. I don't really remember. I know that we went there for a second opinion to what we were being told at Barnes in St. Louis, but I'm not sure how we ended up there specifically. We are thinking that my local oncologist suggested Loyola over the other Chicago locations.

Angela C
                                      Participant

JC
                                        Participant

Angela C
                                          Participant
                                            Angela C
                                            Participant

I'm not seeing Dr. Clark currently. I just see the docs at NIH. But I really like Dr. Clark and we liked Loyola. It was a really easy facility to get in and out of as far as parking, etc. It's much smaller than some of the other places we have been.

Dr. Clark is very caring and whenever I would call with questions, he would always call me back personally, instead of having a nurse call. I really appreciated that. But, they have their limitations at Loyola because they can only help you to a certain point with treatments. They can treat you with the FDA approved drugs, but they typically only have a few Melanoma studies. So, I saw Dr. Clark while doing IL-2 and Yervoy, but then I had to move on elsewhere once I needed clinical trials that weren't available there. But, if I were to move on to another treatment that could be completed through Loyola, I wouldn't hesitate to go back there.

Angela C
                                              Participant

JC
                                                Participant

JC
                                                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics