The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anemia (Not Iron Deficient)

Forums General Melanoma Community Anemia (Not Iron Deficient)

Participant

Wondering if anyone else has had their blood tests show anemia but when tested for iron deficiency found you're not iron deficient?

I dealt with iron deficiency my whole childhood, had to take the grossest medicine for many years. So, when my onc said anemia, I assumed I was back to being iron deficient. But, tests show I am all good with iron. My onc said she will test for other things next time I am there, in 2 weeks. Just wondering if this is caused by the treatment and if anyone else has experienced something similar?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        corgimom
        Participant

After nivo-ipi treatment, I became anemic. However, it was pernicious anemia, not iron-deficiency anemia, due to my immmune system attacking the cells in the gastro-intestinal system that produce vitamin B-12. I recovered very quickly with B-12 shots, and still take them monthly. Once gone, the internal production of B-12 usually doesn't return.

I was referred to gastroenterologists. Hou might ask your oncologist for a referral.

Nanners10
            Participant
              I am also anemic (iron deficient anemic as well). Mine was officially diagnosed after completing ipilumumab. My hemoglobin levels are still quite low around 93 and I don’t know what my ferritin levels are at this point. I had to have an endoscope and colonoscopy to ensure I didn’t have any internal bleeding. What was found was celiac disease. They don’t know if it was because of the ipilumumab or just never found until that test.

So much with this immunotherapy is still unknown.

Best of luck!
              Nancy

jennunicorn
              Participant

Thanks Nancy, glad they figured out the celiac for you. 

jennunicorn
                Participant

Thanks Nancy, glad they figured out the celiac for you. 

Nanners10
                  Participant
                    I am also anemic (iron deficient anemic as well). Mine was officially diagnosed after completing ipilumumab. My hemoglobin levels are still quite low around 93 and I don’t know what my ferritin levels are at this point. I had to have an endoscope and colonoscopy to ensure I didn’t have any internal bleeding. What was found was celiac disease. They don’t know if it was because of the ipilumumab or just never found until that test.

So much with this immunotherapy is still unknown.

Best of luck!
                    Nancy

jennunicorn
                    Participant

I think the next blood test my onc is going to order is a B-12 test, to see what my levels are. Thank you for telling me your experience, glad to know if that's what's going on with me it should be an easy fix once figured out.

jennunicorn
                      Participant

I think the next blood test my onc is going to order is a B-12 test, to see what my levels are. Thank you for telling me your experience, glad to know if that's what's going on with me it should be an easy fix once figured out.

corgimom
                      Participant

After nivo-ipi treatment, I became anemic. However, it was pernicious anemia, not iron-deficiency anemia, due to my immmune system attacking the cells in the gastro-intestinal system that produce vitamin B-12. I recovered very quickly with B-12 shots, and still take them monthly. Once gone, the internal production of B-12 usually doesn't return.

I was referred to gastroenterologists. Hou might ask your oncologist for a referral.

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

Yes, I had the same issue as well. It came on late in Keytruda treatment. I did all of the reading that I could on possible causes, and after questioning the docs about B-12 or inflammatory issues, decided that I would start taking B-12 supplements on my own. My last blood lab showed things back in the normal range. Immunotheraputic treatments will definitely mess with things. I was initially put on Ferratin… which did nothing. I was told to "eat more dark leafy greens"… ummmm.. sure… but how can I possibly cram even MORE spinach and kale into my diet? I already put it on nearly EVERY meal. The B-12 vitamins were the key. I take 1000 mcg of B-12 each day, as well as a "B Complex + Folic Acid", which gives me an additional 400 mcg of B-12, 10 mg of B6, and 1000 mcg of Folic Acid. It should make a difference in your energy levels as well! : )

jennunicorn
                            Participant

I was thinking about just starting on a B-12 supplement, thanks for the info Niki!

Viewing 2 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics