The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

And now for some fun

Forums General Melanoma Community And now for some fun

Participant

Since I do not know how to post pictures here (not that I was ever any good)  I have some on my FB thingy.  So I will tell a wee story now.  My neurologist decided that to find out how my brain is doing, and why certain things are not imporoving and other things are beginning, he had me do a "sleep study" well that was last night.

Since I do not know how to post pictures here (not that I was ever any good)  I have some on my FB thingy.  So I will tell a wee story now.  My neurologist decided that to find out how my brain is doing, and why certain things are not imporoving and other things are beginning, he had me do a "sleep study" well that was last night.

I was to arrive at the destination (old Victorian house in a nearby city)  myself and 5 others were the 'patients' that night.  Since I arrived early I was able to be 'done up'  I had brought a book to read, but realized that it was a book I had just finished reading a few months ago, for 9nth time.  A novel by Robin Cook, which is quite appropriate considering me and who I am.  (weird)  No John it was  not Coma.  ANYHOW  I am sure some of you have had to endure this horror of getting gooped up in one's jammies, and spots on sore head scrubbed so that a clean sharp contact can be made with the scalp.  Then the gritty CEMENT I tell you  (only it was greeny) plopped onto of said electrode.  one above my eye, below my eye, one above the other eye, and below  my sweet looking (yuck) earlid.  Caused the poor tech to be taken aback after reading my medical report.

So there I was.  getting hooked up.  Prongs up me nose,  microphone to broadcast any snores according to family they are enough to waken the dead.  One on each shoulder,  two on each leg one on central forehead, and one on each side of my jaw and centre of chin.  (even with whiskers)  I forgot about the legs, and I had a few hairs, that I forgot about (leg hair has vanished as have armpits)  since BC.

Now one of the many funny things.  typical of me.  a belt goes around your belly,  a belt goes ubove your breasts.  SO question is  if one has no boobs, then where does it go?  Ahhhh lets put it around where boobs would be should I have them.   ALAS  the strap slipped all the time, and ended up around my protrubing bloated belly no where near any lung that I know of.

How to get by this?  the tech ponders and ponders and finally he rigged up a shoulder strap to keep the offending slipping band fromm slipping down past my sternum.  I felt like a parachute jumper by now.

No Book to read,  I refuse to sit inn waiting room watching a TV up on the wall, with a bunch of strangers, all decked out in jammies looking like goofs (as I did)  old men, old ladies, younger than me woman, and others that did not come to the room.   I grabbed people mag and decided to try to read that.  well, I could not find a comfy spot for glasses to fit over my ears which also had tight against the graft sights of both ear backs (to make my earlid)  OUCH  ah well.

Later….lights out.  darkness prevails.  Little red light comes on.  I lay there eyes wide open.  Fumble for my Ipod to listen to some comedy and consppiritor (sp) therorist talk about how horrifc Harry Potter is and the one world govt and stuff.  My brain must have been dancing.  He politely asked me to listen to soothing music. hahah

Did not sleep much took from 9:30 to 1:30 to fall asleep.  even with sleeping pill I was allowed to take.  6:00 a.m. could not come fast enough.  soon it did, I heard my BOB ring the bell, and heard it voice!!  yeah I have been rescued.

waiting for a couple of weeks while they go over the data.  Doctor said even if I slept for 2 hours that would help.  I dreampt I was removing the things from my shunt site,  and ya know what?  I actually was, and  the tech had to rush in and replace them.  I appologized to him for being mad at him in my dream.  (dreampt he abandomed me, so my hubs and me took out the things)  twas a dream.  He must have wondered seriously about this lady from Pickering.

Happy Weekend everyone.coolheart

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        BillMFl
        Participant

ok so reading this lessons my own sense of age related indignity. Poked, prodded, sliced and diced. makes me want to choke some young hunky kid to death and have my brain transplanted in his body. Can they do that yet? You find a cute young chick, do the same thing and maybe we could "party" after the incisions healed.  sleeping pills don't work for me. got to exercise to exhaustion in order to sleep at night. Sleep good for 4 or 5 hours and then wide awake. Pat says a hammer on the bedside table may be the answer. Am I just paranoid or does she have plans? hmmm

Bonnie Lea
            Participant

Bill, I am glad it lessened age related indignities.  only thing missing was slice and dice, though my scalp has suffered with still protruding red bumps, and I have a mark on my eye, and my tender behind ears skin.  But you have your travels with Bill and Pat to look forward to.   I have" camping with Bonnie" soon (in maybe 85 days)

Now we wait.  Also waiting for a MRI to clarify results of CT of liver and stuff.  I is  one patient patient.

Bonnie Lea
              Participant

Bill, I am glad it lessened age related indignities.  only thing missing was slice and dice, though my scalp has suffered with still protruding red bumps, and I have a mark on my eye, and my tender behind ears skin.  But you have your travels with Bill and Pat to look forward to.   I have" camping with Bonnie" soon (in maybe 85 days)

Now we wait.  Also waiting for a MRI to clarify results of CT of liver and stuff.  I is  one patient patient.

BillMFl
              Participant

ok so reading this lessons my own sense of age related indignity. Poked, prodded, sliced and diced. makes me want to choke some young hunky kid to death and have my brain transplanted in his body. Can they do that yet? You find a cute young chick, do the same thing and maybe we could "party" after the incisions healed.  sleeping pills don't work for me. got to exercise to exhaustion in order to sleep at night. Sleep good for 4 or 5 hours and then wide awake. Pat says a hammer on the bedside table may be the answer. Am I just paranoid or does she have plans? hmmm

jag
                Participant

Bonnie, I have to admit, the first couple of paragraphs sounded like a horror story , sleeping in a Victorian house with a bunch of strangers?  Anyway, glad to hear there was a happy ending and no chainsaws or axe murders.

Bonnie Lea
                    Participant

oh John it was a horror story.   I felt like the lady  in the very first "house of Usher" movie my brother took me to (circa before you were born)

sound proof room, dark cept for red glows of cameras (two of em)  and the flickering of ominious greeny lights blinking, And just when you thought it safe to close your eyes, in pops a tech cos that boob band had slipped, or the nose things I wiggled  around, and His words to me were always…..  I know you are awake, or else I would not come in.  yes dear John a horror story, with six semi concious hooked up patients and two tech's in charge.  3 on one floor, 3 on another floor, and the centre room faced the TV on the wall, whilst you are being hooked up.

HOUSE OF USHER I say I say.

Bonnie Lea
                      Participant

oh John it was a horror story.   I felt like the lady  in the very first "house of Usher" movie my brother took me to (circa before you were born)

sound proof room, dark cept for red glows of cameras (two of em)  and the flickering of ominious greeny lights blinking, And just when you thought it safe to close your eyes, in pops a tech cos that boob band had slipped, or the nose things I wiggled  around, and His words to me were always…..  I know you are awake, or else I would not come in.  yes dear John a horror story, with six semi concious hooked up patients and two tech's in charge.  3 on one floor, 3 on another floor, and the centre room faced the TV on the wall, whilst you are being hooked up.

HOUSE OF USHER I say I say.

jag
                      Participant

Bonnie, I have to admit, the first couple of paragraphs sounded like a horror story , sleeping in a Victorian house with a bunch of strangers?  Anyway, glad to hear there was a happy ending and no chainsaws or axe murders.

dian in spokane
                        Participant

Bonnie..it sounds horrible. I wouldn't have even fallen asleep….

Bonnie Lea
                            Participant

Well, wasn't so bad, I mean it got me out of the house for the first time in such a long time (other than doc appts)  and I could pretend I didn't live in a reno zone, or with a mamma who is very very slow at getting even sort of back to gether.  (fallen a couple of times)

But ya, tis neigh on impossible to sleep.  Though some and most folks apparently do.  I am a fresh air freak, and not having a window open sucked big time.  and knowing I am being watched, and knowing how brown eyes look in night vision camera or infra red stuff.  Big brown dead things.  (like on survivor after council)  HUGE dead eyeballs.  eeeeeeek.  Did you see the photos on my FB albums? hahaha  medusa from the future.

dian in spokane
                              Participant

I did not see your pictures, but I wsill go look next time I am there

dian in spokane
                                Participant

I did not see your pictures, but I wsill go look next time I am there

Bonnie Lea
                                  Participant

Well, wasn't so bad, I mean it got me out of the house for the first time in such a long time (other than doc appts)  and I could pretend I didn't live in a reno zone, or with a mamma who is very very slow at getting even sort of back to gether.  (fallen a couple of times)

But ya, tis neigh on impossible to sleep.  Though some and most folks apparently do.  I am a fresh air freak, and not having a window open sucked big time.  and knowing I am being watched, and knowing how brown eyes look in night vision camera or infra red stuff.  Big brown dead things.  (like on survivor after council)  HUGE dead eyeballs.  eeeeeeek.  Did you see the photos on my FB albums? hahaha  medusa from the future.

dian in spokane
                                  Participant

Bonnie..it sounds horrible. I wouldn't have even fallen asleep….

Gale
                                    Participant

This comes at just the right time. My doc has been wanting me to have a sleep study for quite some time, and brought it up again just this past Monday when I saw him. I may just have to print this out and take it to him…he already thinks I'M nuts…and this sounds exactly how I picture it!  LOL

Good luck with your results!

Gale
                                      Participant

This comes at just the right time. My doc has been wanting me to have a sleep study for quite some time, and brought it up again just this past Monday when I saw him. I may just have to print this out and take it to him…he already thinks I'M nuts…and this sounds exactly how I picture it!  LOL

Good luck with your results!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics